New to Dish/possibly low signal?

gretschdrum

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
I'm new to Dish (less than one month) but I feel like I'm having some rain/wind fade issues that maybe I shouldn't have. After reading hundreds of posts I'm realizing that I might be having some weak signal issues. FYI, I'm in the Atlanta area and have the 1000.2 dish with triple LNBs and a 722 DVR. The 3 satellite signal readings that I'm getting are: 110 sat =32, 119 sat=55, and 129 sat=39 Also, bear in mind that these readings are using the NEW scale of signal strength and not the old scale that sometimes read into the 100s.

Any advice or links that might clarify would be appreciated.

The only one close is the 129.

The others are way low!

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the info. I suppose the dish was either not tweaked when it was installed or it's perhaps moved a bit because we had some strong 40mph winds last week. Either way it warrants a call to customer service to see what they have to say.

Thanks and other info/advice is welcome (even if it's advice for dealing with customer service).

Customer Service call and their subsequent response

When you checking these, were the signal bar red or green? I suspect the one for 110 would be red. Anyway, time to call customer service for an appointment.

Thanks for responding WPB (and others). Here's the scoop from Dish CS. I called and they ran a few diagnostics including switch tests, etc. The upshot is this: If all signals are in the green, and they are except that they're very low, everything is good with them. I asked them if they thought the signals were below normal and they basically said there was no "normal"...only good and bad.;) They also reiterated that with the new software's signal meter the signal strength could be significantly lower than the old scale of measurement.

Finally, I mentioned to them that we had a pretty severe storm last week with wind gusts at 40mph (and maybe this moved the dish a bit). Even after the rain stopped (BTW, there was about 8 minutes of fade during the most severe precipitation) the wind continued to cause fade. The CS rep said that strong gusts against the face of the dish could cause 1-2 second fades?!?!?! :confused: Is that right?

Thanks guys for the help. I'll be looking forward to your replies.

Guess that's the way the CS guy saying we can't send anybody out for you. :)
BTW, my 119 is at mid to upper 60s and my 110 is at mid 50s. We had a couple inches of rainfall within a few hours on Saturday and I had a brief loss a signal. Other than that, nothing unusual (pixelation, pic fading, etc.).
I still think your lower than average signal strengths make it more possible to experience issue in the future. No idea what else you can do.

Those CSR's are full of sh*t.

When we do installs the signals have to be at a certain level or a TC will be auto created if it is connected to a phone line.

If those don't get fixed, enjoy get attn 15 all the time when it drizzles.

It needs to be fixed. With the new meter it should have the levels in the 60's through 80's.

Demand they come out to fix it. Don't give them any choice.

Red is now at 17. The new ones go out at 17.

Right now you'll only get signal when it's perfectly sunny out.

You could try tweaking it yourself if you got 7/16 wrenches and you can get to the dish SAFELY. Just loosen the bolts enough to Slightly move it left or right until you find the strongest signal. Take a marker or a sharpie and mark your "starting point" in case you totally lose the signal while doing this.

This would save you the $29 service call under the protection plan or the $99 service call without the plan.

As I and many others have mentioned on this board, if the first CSR doesn't satisfy you, always call back and get another CSR. The first CSR could be inexperienced and/or incorrect.

You could try tweaking it yourself if you got 7/16 wrenches and you can get to the dish SAFELY. Just loosen the bolts enough to Slightly move it left or right until you find the strongest signal. Take a marker or a sharpie and mark your "starting point" in case you totally lose the signal while doing this.

This would save you the $29 service call under the protection plan or the $99 service call without the plan.

As I and many others have mentioned on this board, if the first CSR doesn't satisfy you, always call back and get another CSR. The first CSR could be inexperienced and/or incorrect.

Not a good idea with a 1000.2.

You'll end up with no signal at all.

Let a tech come out and do it.

Some people can point their own dishes, though. Don't think techs are the only ones who know how to set up a satellite dish.

But if you've never set up any dish before, the 1000.2 is not the best place to begin.

One advantage of not taking the 18 month commitment is the fact you can threaten to cancel at any time when talking to a CSR.

622 DVR Freezes At The Worst Possible Time

Rescheduled Install

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)