NEW TO FORUM AND DISHES IN GENERAL< HAVE SOME QUESTIONS W/ MY INFO GIVEN

joeydrunk

Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
WA
I would like to first apoligize to the mods if this is in the wrong place or if I brought up company names and wasnt suppose to but I need to for my question. Please redirect me if need be, thankyou.

I have no idea about dishes, I've never had one. Ive always had digital cable and currently have no cable, just my htpc netflix etc. Been toying with getting a cable card tuner for awhile. I might just go the sattelite dish route though. J could use some input from longtime dish users.

I will tell you what I want, watch etc. I don't care about sports. I would like the cheapest price, best hd quality is a must, the main channels watched in the house are on hbo, showtime, amc, spike, mtv, and fx, lots of movies, service with best DVR, receiver with most/best features/functions, most tuners, best extenders and best internet/network functions, and android apps would be nice. I have a logitech revue so it would be nice if receiver allows for daisy chain of hdmi, ie: DVR>googletv>avr(I forget wich company integrates with this, I don't think I would base my decision solely on the googletv integration though), hdd size, plays nice with my onkyo txnr1008 avr. These are some of the most important things I can think of, let me know if I'm leaving out a biggie.

What are my options as far as sattelite dishes and are the big ones still available, is that the c band and the c k/u band people talk about? Also what is 4dtv? Which has the best/highest bitrare 1080p signals and most hd channels? Is there any diference between services as far as having 1080p only available on VOD and the other having regular networked 1080p channels? Does one company have better DVRs(what are best receivers from each, does one have better reception in bad weather given everything is equal in hardware and location/position of unit(it would just be up to the band/frequency then, correct)? What are some pros and cons of each system, wich is better in each category?(ie: number of tuners, price, options per price point, quality of hd and SD channels, customer service, selection of networked/internet capabilites(ie: netflix, hulu, etc.) HDD space, hacks available, available add on gadgets(ie: googletv, slingbox, etc.) android/ios apps, any networked/windows capabilities, price for movie channels, remotest, extenders,start in one room/continue in another, etc.
Can you get a cablecard from a sattelite company to use in a htpc tuner like you can from a cable company? If so wich has more copy freely and copy once as opposed to copy restricted.
Any other options I didn't mentioned. Or know about and any other features, hardware, problems, channels, pros/cons etc. I'm not thinking about?
Terms I'm not sure of - hopper, hr32, joeys, PTAT, EHD, SLING, sattelite LOS,
Thanks in advance

1. Dish Network is your best option since you don't care about sports. Any provider will work with Google TV and an AV reciever. There is no cable card for satellite. You must have a reciever in every room. Dish has the Sling Adapter which allows you to watch Live TV on your Android phone.

Hopper = Dish's new Whole-Home DVR system
HR34 = DirecTV's new 5 tuner HDDVR
Joey = Thin-client box in the Hopper / Joey system
Sling = Makers of the Slingbox which allows you to watch TV on your mobile device (works with any provider)
LOS = Line of sight to the satellites

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

How does the sling device differ from the slingboxhd, i have one of those. Also, I know logitech revue works with any system(i have one) but it works specially good with either dish or direct(not sure wich, that was my question), its made to work with one of them. Your able to access the dvr results in gooogle tv menu, you cant do that for example in comcast. Does dish have the best quality hd channels?

joeydrunk said:
How does the sling device differ from the slingboxhd, i have one of those. Also, I know logitech revue works with any system(i have one) but it works specially good with either dish or direct(not sure wich, that was my question), its made to work with one of them. Your able to access the dvr results in gooogle tv menu, you cant do that for example in comcast. Does dish have the best quality hd channels?

The Sling Adapter is basically a Slingbox that connects to Dish recievers only, you can use your Slingbox with Dish as well. The Revue integrates with Dish, but you have to pay a $4 a month Integration Fee which I don't think is worth it. Both Dish and Direct have great HD PQ.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts