When is FIOS REALLY fixing their QAM problem stopping more HD Channels?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

philhu

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 1, 2004
Cold Boston Area
We were told in JUNE'10 that Fios was out of QAM space and that it would be fixed 'in a few months'. For recollection, this was the excuse FIOS used as to why they had no HD Channel room, and they were removing west-coast versions of movie channels, etc to make room for a few new HD while they address the QAM issue.

Well, it is now January, 6+ months later, and they still point to QAM space issues.

Anyone hear differently or new news?

News to me. But then, I don't have their video service. This is supposed to be nationwide?

News to me. But then, I don't have their video service. This is supposed to be nationwide?

Yes, they started using this as an excuse in May/June and said it needed a QAM restructure, give it a 'few months'. 6+ months later, I renewed right before contract times were removed, and still no answer as to timeframe. Latest I got was it could be 'a few months to a year' to fix it

To get about 8 new channels in Sept and November (8 total), they DELETED the HD westcoast feeds of movie channels, which was ANOTHER reason I went with them. Don't get me wrong, I love the service, but not-cool lies and they idea they can change things under contract (yes, they do have a loophole to do it) that their reps swear up and down won't happen until the day it does, really irks me.

Feels like Dish network and the way they bend contract terms

Interesting. I decided NOT to add their video service, especially considering their "Less than ViP" DVRs around here, and limited savings. But I still want to keep up to date with them. Who knows what the situation will be a year from now, or when my contract expires?

Seems odd to have "capacity" problems with fiber! I wonder if QAM somehow defines a set amount of space, that is far exceeded by fiber? You'd think that problem would have been foreseen and addressed before the first home got a fiber connection.

It is not really an issue with fiber, just that they send a full cable feed down the pipe. They have to upgrade the cable equipement to get more bandwidth. They send a QAM signal down using 870MHZ. Each 6MHZ channel pretty much carries 2 HDTV feeds (19.2Mbit). I do not know how flexible their hardware is, it would be interesting to know if they can just upgrade all the head ends or if it requires a box update at the premises.

Well, I don't use their boxes, I use Tivos (3 of them) and cablecards. I do have one of their boxes, just to get on-demand.

The service is great. I just wish they would: 1) tell us their plans for new channels, 2) Honor their own promises for fixes, like this QAM thing.

They are switching to a switched video system similar to cable but not the same.. Supposed to have the ability to insert commercials tailored to individual subscribers..similar to what google and other search engines do today but at a TV level

Hmmmm. And that feature will also prevent you from skipping commercials? Maybe I worry too much.

ok, almost a year later. 3 more HD and 2 3d channels added. a DOZEN new HD channels have debutted, and we dont have them OR BBC America HD.

My contract comes up in December. I'm outta here then!

Arise, Ye Undead Thread! ;)

I'm not hearing anything about switching video. In fact, I'm hearing the move to the new boxes will allow for a move to MPEG-4. If they move to MPEG-4 will they be able to use more of the actual fiber capacity than the old QAM system? Anybody know if they might plan on both switching video and MPEG-4?

I haven't heard anything about Verizon moving to Switched Digital Video (SDV) but, if they do, it will certainly have a negative impact on the Tivo, Moxi and Sony HD DVR users. Additionally, if they move to MPEG-4 it will surely kill customers from owning their own equipment...but maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps Verizon has an AllVid whole home gateway in the works. Eh, I think that I'll start paying closer attention to the FiOS threads.

I haven't heard anything about Verizon moving to Switched Digital Video (SDV) but, if they do, it will certainly have a negative impact on the Tivo, Moxi and Sony HD DVR users. Additionally, if they move to MPEG-4 it will surely kill customers from owning their own equipment...but maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps Verizon has an AllVid whole home gateway in the works. Eh, I think that I'll start paying closer attention to the FiOS threads.
SDV wouldn't apply to FIOS setup. There was talk of switching to a IPTV system, but nothing recent. Mpeg-4 would not kill customers owning their own equipement as Moxi have systems that support it ( I don't know if Tivo ever released support for other than DirecTv boxes, although many of their boxes could support it in theory). However it would require Verizon to retire some boxes and offer replacements.

really what they should do is get rid of the .tv channels if they are hard up for space, or just roll them all into one, they just replay the same stuff over and over. I don't get them now, but I used too the last time I had fios and over two years I don't think I ever saw anything really new, just the same programs repeated. If they get rid of those they can add missing channels like BBCA, G4 and others. Or, since they no longer have sd boxes, convert all existing ones with hd boxes, and get rid of all the duplicate sd channels that have an hd counterpart, the hd boxes can just pan scan when on an sd tv. Of course those with the little convert boxes would also have to upgrade to a box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts