New to FTA and need help with AMC-15 105W NBC channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nicknjen

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2011
Mid Michigan
This will be my first post to Satellite guys and I have found this site to be sooo helpful to this new hobby that member radio got me into. I have a 8 1/2 foot Solid Birdview which the reed switch removed and a 48 count rotary encoder installed so it will work with my Vbox (photos of that coming soon), a DMX741 LNB, a Viewsat 9000 HD receiver with the factory firmware installed, and of course Vbox rev 11 moving. Everything talks together very well, no problems having the receiver talk to the positioner and no problems getting channels till I come to AMC-15 and trying to get NBC.

I have tried and tried, bumping the dish, manually entering the TP and then entering the PID's in manually and just cannot get it to come in. I don't really need the channels however it has become now the challenge to get them to come in. I am looking for any help.. not sure if it is the receiver or something I have set wrong. I am able to get Ku signals good on 105 and C and Ku good on other birds across the ark, just not this one.

Also if anyone else has a birdview that would like to move it with a G or Vbox, let me know and I can definelty help you! I have helped member radio with his and he is now moved out is old 922 4DTV for moving his birdview and is moving it with a Vbox!

Thank you Magic, I thought it did because it has the option to switch from DVS, DVS2 and DVS28.. If I had it to do over I would not have gotten this box, the blind scan for C band is next to worthless, it does not do Disec 1.0 well at all and it has a hard time with Dolby some times.

Now the second question, besides the AZbox, what is another HD receiver that will do DVB-S2? I was looking in to the AZbox however right now, I have been told it is not available with a terrestrial receiver, and I would like to get the local antenna channels on it also.... If I can find an all around good HD FTA box, this Viewsat is going!

If you want a stand alone box the openbox S9 is cheap and will do dvb s2 fine(It want handle 422, Azbox will). It all so handles disec 1.0 great. Not a commercial =) but I have one and really really like it for blind scans.

Last I heard I think the Pansat 9200s S2 Premium and the TC1000 with the same S2 Premium kit will do terrestrial (ATSC) along with S2 and blind scan but it won't do 4.2.2 either. There just doesn't seem to be a "do all, be all" box out there right now although the AZBox is close.

all in one (ATSC OTA TV)

I spent several years looking for a good HD satellite receiver that would get OTA digital TV, too.
In fact, along the way, I even evaluated getting one FTA receiver JUST for its ability to record ATSC (digital OTA).

Just last year, I took the advice of a Linuxman, and got a tuner that plugged into my LAN.
After many unsatisfactory experiences with OTA and FTA tuners using USB and PCI interfaces, I was certain that ethernet was the way to go!
What a pleasure it's turned out to be!
It's the white dual tuner box from Silicon Dust (HD home Run) and was just under $100, refurb.
I already had a computer with Vista Home Premium (which included Vista Media Center).
All I added was a $15 remote control and the tuner.
It and an LCD monitor became my bedroom TV.
That records all the local shows (from 90 OTA channels) at all hours of the day.
Two tuners means I don't have conflicts.
And being on the LAN, I can play back these same 1080 recordings on the living room TV through a Western Digital (WD TV Live Plus HD) media player.

Yes, this all runs independent of my satellite receivers.
But attempts to integrate both together had proven a failure.

Also, I'm free to choose the best HD FTA receiver, without worrying if it'll do OTA or not.
clue: it wouldn't be the same ones I considered all these years!
And as an added benefit, I have full guide in OTA, something you will not have with FTA.

This will be my first post to Satellite guys and I have found this site to be sooo helpful to this new hobby that member radio got me into. I have a 8 1/2 foot Solid Birdview which the reed switch removed and a 48 count rotary encoder installed so it will work with my Vbox (photos of that coming soon), a DMX741 LNB, a Viewsat 9000 HD receiver with the factory firmware installed, and of course Vbox rev 11 moving. Everything talks together very well, no problems having the receiver talk to the positioner and no problems getting channels till I come to AMC-15 and trying to get NBC.

I have tried and tried, bumping the dish, manually entering the TP and then entering the PID's in manually and just cannot get it to come in. I don't really need the channels however it has become now the challenge to get them to come in. I am looking for any help.. not sure if it is the receiver or something I have set wrong. I am able to get Ku signals good on 105 and C and Ku good on other birds across the ark, just not this one.

Also if anyone else has a birdview that would like to move it with a G or Vbox, let me know and I can definelty help you! I have helped member radio with his and he is now moved out is old 922 4DTV for moving his birdview and is moving it with a Vbox!

Those HD NBC Channels are on 105.0W / AMC-18 on C Band Tp H - 3780 were hard to capture but I was able to finally get them with my AZbox Premium Plus. Another great Tp is V - 3920 with Recipe TV, Pets TV, Cars TV, etc.

Thanks to all the help!!! I have broke down and I ordered the AZbox Ultra... I decided to go with the ultra because I don't see the front panel display because all of the AV equipment is in the basement and then everything is sent via wired remote and HDMI to the flat panel upstairs. (no "ugly" boxes to be seen and no "ugly" wires as my wife call them) We also have wired LAN in the house so a wireless connection is not necessary for interenet. I got the unit from Rick's Satellite and it should be here tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes. I think I will just go back and use the TV tuner for ATSC and just send the audio back to the basement via optical cable for the stereo receiver to decode. Thanks again for all the help!

Those HD NBC Channels are on 105.0W / AMC-18 on C Band Tp H - 3780 were hard to capture but I was able to finally get them with my AZbox Premium Plus. Another great Tp is V - 3920 with Recipe TV, Pets TV, Cars TV, etc.

Hey jsattv, I too was finally able to scan in H-3780 for the four HD-NBC channels and also got Universal Sports.
But that V-3920/30000 has been a real bugger for me, I got a lock once and got 10 channels that where all scrambled.
The names showed up as SID:1, SID:2, SID:3, etc., but all scrambled.

What settings are you using to get Pets, Cars, Recipes etc? SatHint gives the FEC at 8/9, but I don't get anything
at all unless I use FEC 5/6 with pilot ON. Even then, the Q bobs up and down from 0% to 54% every 2 seconds or so.

My AZ-Box is the Premium-HD (firmware version 5305), with a DMX-741 on a 10' Perfect-Ten mesh dish.

I've been doing some tweaking on the dish, and many other signals have improved, but still no joy on 3920.

What's the trick?

Thanks.

Last edited:
NBC comes in strong on my 10' mesh with pansat 9200 HD. Dvb -s2 requires higher carrier to noise ratios so it is a bit harder to get.

my pansats do pretty well. they have their bugs but overall are quite good.

Hey jsattv, I too was finally able to scan in H-3780 for the four HD-NBC channels and also got Universal Sports.
But that V-3920/30000 has been a real bugger for me, I got a lock once and got 10 channels that where all scrambled.
The names showed up as SID:1, SID:2, SID:3, etc., but all scrambled.

What settings are you using to get Pets, Cars, Recipes etc? SatHint gives the FEC at 8/9, but I don't get anything
at all unless I use FEC 5/6 with pilot ON. Even then, the Q bobs up and down from 0% to 54% every 2 seconds or so.

My AZ-Box is the Premium-HD (firmware version 5305), with a DMX-741 on a 10' Perfect-Ten mesh dish.

I've been doing some tweaking on the dish, and many other signals have improved, but still no joy on 3920.

What's the trick?

Thanks.

Upnatm, FEC was 8/9. I had lost that V - 3920 Tp but re scanning and new 5305 Firmware brought it in again. Had to rescan in the entire Satellite, as I could always get those NBC Channels and Universal Sports, but those other channels on 3920 wouldn't scan in manually, so I reblind scanned in again the entire satellite - 105.0W AMC 18, and it came in. S=70 Q = 90 on the 12 Ft Mesh Dish. Those channels - Pets TV, Cars TV, KOFY California, A Hunting Channel, etc, show as being scrambled but they come in clear on AZbox when you click on them.

Thanks jsattv, I'll give it another try later.

My AZ Premium-HD doesn't have much of a scanner, my best results are with manual scans.

I have 3 other STBs that I could "loop" out of the AZ, but I don't know if any of them will
pick up the DVB-S2 8PSK transponders. It's worth a try I guess.

The three idle boxes are Pansat-2700A, CoolSat-7000 and KBox-K2HD. The Pansat and Coolsat
are both "hardware" blind scan but I'm not sure what is in the Kbox.

Any opinions on their abilities?

Cheers.

I have all the NBC's coming in on the new AZbox Ultra however I have an issue with the audio depending on what mode I choose. If aaa is chosen I only get background sound, if aab I get the left channel, aac I get nothing, aad I get the right channel. I have tried the HDMI and the optical to my HK Home Theater with no luck and I don't believe there is anything wrong the decoding, I believe it is more something wrong with a setting on the AZbox. I have read some other posts where people have had similar problems. Does anyone have any suggestions that may cure this issue and make it so I can get the Left, Right, and background sound.

Also I have had no luck yet getting Pets TV, Cars TV, KOFY California, and A Hunting Channel. At frequency 3920 I have a 81 to 85 on the signal but no quality. My antenna is a 8 1/2 foot birdview, so wondering if that is too small to get these channels or should I be doing something else.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts