New to FTA, Can you guys get certain programming?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

TeknoZX

Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
I'm pretty new to FTA. I was pointed here by some folks from broadbandreports.com's Cable/Sat forum. I have read about FTA systems and am pretty sure I am capable of getting a system and starting up. However, I want to know if it's worth it. The only reason I am even thinking of getting a system is to provide my parents with more Korean programming and perhaps some Japanese channels for myself. Anyway, I looked on the Lyngsat lists and saw the most of the Korean programming was carried on Koreasat2 and Koreasat3. I am current in Los Angeles, California. 90006

If anyone would be so kind or has enough free time, could you guys who already have systems set up see if you can get any channels from these two birds? Or if you can get any, list any Korean channels or Japanese channels you might get. I know it's a lot to ask from such a newbie but I'd GREATLY appreciate it. I just want to know if it's worth my time and money to get started in this little hobby. I know it'll be fun playing around and setting it up regardless of whether I get the korean stuff or not, but I want to do this mainly for my parents. Thanks guys, and even if you can't help me out with this, comments and replys are welcome.

Corrected for accuracy:

You're not going to be able to view anything from Koreasat2 unless you're in Korea or very, very close to it. The signal footprint barely extends to Japan, let alone Los Angeles. But you might be able to get Koreasat3; see its web page (http://www.kt.co.kr/kt_home/eng/business/s_svc/ko_sys05.jsp) or check the rest of this thread.

Korean programming I'm sure you can get from Los Angeles, using Ku band equipment, by satellite:

* Galaxy 10R: KBS America along with a couple of Korean radio stations
* AMC4: SBS-TV, TAN-TV, and YTV
* IA5: JSTV (in Korean), KISB-1, YTN, Radio Seoul, and Radio Korea

My apologies if I missed anything or if any of these aren't really Korean, but that should get you started.

Thank you so much for your reply. If those stations are it, it might still be worth getting. 5 korean channels is a lot to be able to get. I think that it's about time I start reading about hardware and dishes. Thanks again for the very informative reply.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys.US TeknoZX!

There are so many more Asian channels and channels of interest from around the world its well worth the money (not to mention all the US networks right now), if I could get even one channel from back home I would be overjoyed : ) Let us know if we can be of any more help when it comes to the set up, good luck!

I have 2 questions for PSB if you don't mind. I read your review on the Fortecstar Lifetime Ultra and it seems good. I think I'm going to try for the #6 package from Sadoun. It comes with the Lifetime Ultra, 31" Fortecstar FS80P Dish and FortecStar Universal 0.5db Single KU LNBF. What the heck does LNBF mean? Anyway, with this package, you think I can get a good start? I think I also read on a post somewhere that a Standard LNB? is better than a Universal. Sorry but no matter how many posts I read, I still don't understand what all these acronyms mean. LNB, DVB, DBS...

Also, in your review of the Lifetime Ultra, you posted a picture where you seemed to have locked onto KoreaSat 2. Where are you located? Because the guy above said that KoreaSat2 and 3's footprints were too small. Anyway, I hope to order after the new year. Thanks.

TeknoZX said:
I have 2 questions for PSB if you don't mind. I read your review on the Fortecstar Lifetime Ultra and it seems good. I think I'm going to try for the #6 package from Sadoun. It comes with the Lifetime Ultra, 31" Fortecstar FS80P Dish and FortecStar Universal 0.5db Single KU LNBF. What the heck does LNBF mean? Anyway, with this package, you think I can get a good start? I think I also read on a post somewhere that a Standard LNB? is better than a Universal. Sorry but no matter how many posts I read, I still don't understand what all these acronyms mean. LNB, DVB, DBS...

LNBF-low noise block frequency...its the "eye" of the system. It collects the signal and sends it to the receiver. DBS=Dish NEtwork or Directv. There is a sastellite at 58 degrees west (PAS-9), that needas a universal LNB. I try to stay away from those as you can't use a signal meter to aim in the signal. I have a couple standard ones and they work great! That system would be good to start with and you can always add a motor later
Also, in your review of the Lifetime Ultra, you posted a picture where you seemed to have locked onto KoreaSat 2. Where are you located? Because the guy above said that KoreaSat2 and 3's footprints were too small. Anyway, I hope to order after the new year. Thanks.
PSB's in Minneapolis (he lives about 30 minutes from me)...I'm assuming the pictures he used were stock pictures that he found :)

Iceberg said:
LNBF-low noise block frequency

I always though it was Low Noise Block Feedhorn, meaning the feedhorn was intergrated with the LNB rather that physically being two seperate pieces.

Wholeshoe

Tekno,

I'm not so sure any more where Koreasat3's footprint ends.

I had checked Tele-Satellite's coverage maps, which I've attached below as the first two maps.

Then I followed LyngSat's link to the satellite provider. Its footprint map of Koreasat2 matches, but Koreasat3 (or something named "Koreasat Unit 3") looks like it extends weakly from Africa to Los Angeles. See the third map attached below, or visit http://www.kt.co.kr/kt_home/eng/business/s_svc/ko_sys05.jsp .

Sorry if I was wrong the first time. Maybe you could check with local LA FTA equipment dealers and ask them if they can pick up Koreasat3.

Good luck!

Attachments

• KOR002KB.JPG
    KOR002KB.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 182
  • KOR003KB.JPG
    KOR003KB.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 207
  • img_koreasat6.gif
    img_koreasat6.gif
    13.2 KB · Views: 188
Accoridng to a couple things I looked at, in LA the farthest west you can see is 190 degrees west. After that the elevation is negative

Hello again yes they were photographs from online, Korea sat is out of the question.
I think the Fortec Star system is a great starter system and it comes with a standard or universal LNBF you choice : ) I can also recommend the 90cm dish over the 75cm dish as its always the first thing that people want to upgrade, and with satellite dish BIGGER is better. I just swapped over to a universal LNBF yesterday and it brings in a few extra channels (Cubavision) but as stated above you can have a standard LNBF. I have a Fortec dealer in CA. The Fortec star is a BREEZE to hook up to a motor and the USALS function is a dream to work with, all the best, and good luck!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)