NEW to FTA--help!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Alkaye

Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Ok..just heard about FTA..we have a disconnencted Dish Network dish on our home..

and wonder if we can use it to recieve FTA

It does not have the LMB (it was sent back when we cancelled)...and the cable has been cut..

So..please enlighten me.

Thank you!

not uch to get on a Dish dish...NASA, Gol, Angel One and the audi channels...you need a 30" dish and KU LNB for free to air

Not sure of what you mean...

Sorry..when I say I'm new to FTA..that means NEW

What is UCH?

and all that other stuff you said NASA ..Angle..etc?

Sorry

Sorry..when I say I'm new to FTA..that means NEW

What is UCH?

and all that other stuff you said NASA ..Angle..etc?

Sorry

UCH- he meant much(as I'm sure almost anyone knew)
NASA and Angel 1 are channels.

The dish you have is basically useless for what you want. Try to find an old Primestar dish(they work great and are free), or buy a new one. But I would really recommend is just hang out here and read and learn before you jump in. But be advised, true FTA is nothing like what you're use to getting with Dish. ;)

now it make sense

sorry..I did not read it the same way..and yes I need to read up and shut up...

Thank you...

I will be back when I need more help.

but now..to read all about FTA...what is is ..how it is different and why I should have it

I thought it was away to not pay those heavy cable costs and make use of what I already own

sorry..I did not read it the same way..and yes I need to read up and shut up...

Thank you...

I will be back when I need more help.

but now..to read all about FTA...what is is ..how it is different and why I should have it

I thought it was away to not pay those heavy cable costs and make use of what I already own

You mean steal

[QUOTE I thought it was away to not pay those heavy cable costs and make use of what I already own[/QUOTE]

I understand. Just was pointing out that being you are new as you stated, true FTA is really a niche hobby. There are no package HBOs, ESPNs, PPVs, etc.

FTA is very rewarding if you accept the fact that it is not anywhere near as user-friendly as a Dish or Direct Tv system. As already said, you need to read as much as you can on all aspects of equipment and installation, and don"t hesitate to ask questions, we were all new at one time and there are no foolish questions.
I spent 2 months reading this forum before I made my first purchase, and by using the information gathered here I saved money and found my first receiver to be very easy to operate. With that said your first install can be difficult but not impossible to do, but once you are through it, you will say it wasn't so bad after all.

Not stealing..I think

Hey guiys..I'm not trying to steal anything. The dish is mine as I bout it and sent back the LMB...

but I thought FTA was free and had many options...

So i guess I need to be more enlighteded..If This is unlawful. then I'm out of here.

Hey guiys..I'm not trying to steal anything. The dish is mine as I bout it and sent back the LMB...

So i guess I need to be more enlighteded..If This is unlawful. then I'm out of here.

It is free, and does have many options.

Trying to get subscription based stuff for free is illegal - thats what we call hacking. But FTA has a whole bunch of stuff available, which is just as the name implies, "free to air" meaning it is freely broadcasted, and all you need is the right equipment to receive it.

:welcome to satelliteguys!

There are legal channels to be found . Whether they are what you want to watch is up to you .

And a dark side - hacking , that is not legal ..................................

Wyr

What we pick up in FTA is all unencrypted, and usually not uplinked for consumers to receive in their homes. We get educational channels, local networks from various parts of the country that are uplinked for cable companies, plenty of foreign channels, and most importantly (in my opinion), news and sports feeds. You'd be surprised by what's up there at any given time.

If you're looking for a substitute for pay satellite service that will include movie channels, common cable channels such as Discovery and TNT, etc., FTA is not the answer.

I like to say that FTA is a great ADDITION to the paid systems such as Directv, Dish Network, or cable. It is like having a super cable coming into your home! With FTA there are more (and FREE) selection of channels to watch!
I get channels from Directv, the FTA channels from Ku AND C band. PLUS the channels from my 4DTV!!!

Damn, I am in Channel Heaven!!!! :D

PS. Oh, did I mentioned channels from my old fashion rabbit ears antennae on top of my big screen TV???? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
PS. Oh, did I mentioned channels from my old fashion rabbit ears antennae on top of my big screen TV???? :rolleyes:

It's funny how the past comes back around. We were first introduced to rabbit ears in the '50s, and now, in the new millennium, we're using the same old technology to pick up state of the art DTV! Everything old is new again :)

My sources of channel heaven are listed in my signature. :) I'm currently in the process of finding an unused tri-mast antenna tower to relocate to my house for a Yagi antenna to get stations from towers 45 miles away. This is to supplement my local ones from 8 miles away. The distant Fox station (WXIX, a great Fox station) has .1 as its HD channel, and .2 is... The Tube. :D

Thanks Iceberg. It is good to be back! I checked once a week on what's going on in the wonderful world of FTA TV. This site is the MOST informative site as far as FTA is concerned.
You guys know that analog TV signals are fading out and the good ole dependable rabbit ears will be.... gone.
I am gonna miss moving those precious little ears just to get the clearest picture possible...
I... I....
I...
I'm sorry, guys. I think I'm fixin' to cry... Sniff... :no

Geeze... what other uses are there for these poor little icons???
WE the Satelliteguys, MUST save these poor defendless critters!!!! :eek:

Ok guys, you know I am BSing with you...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)