New to FTA, need help on getting started!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

glparrish078

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
After about a month of reading over this site, I am wanting to cancel my $129 per month Dish service and switch to FTA. I would like to have the same channels and a DVR as I do with Dish. What can you guys suggest and where do I begin. I have 2 HDTV's that I want to hookup, with one having a DVR. I want to be able to get Every channel I can including PPV/HBO/CMAX. Both my TV's only support 720p, but i want to be able to upgrade to 1080i,

Here is pics of what is on/in my home today.

The Dish:
DSC_0345.jpg

The HD-DVR Receiver
DSC_0347.jpg

The HD Receiver
DSC_0346.jpg

I'm afraid you are in for a big disappointment.
None of those channels are available free.
None of that equipment nor dish will be useful, either.

However, if you set your sights a little more reasonably, there is lots of fun stuff to watch on FTA.
Perhaps you can keep a minimal $30/month Dish Network account, to supplement.

im new also

im just getting into this..i was wondering if anyone can tell me if the viewsat platinum lite reciever is a good one to get..if not which one that is just around 100 bucks should i get...please help me on this and on what site i should get it....i want to get a good one...thanks for any and all help

receiver suggestions

Several well-liked standard definition FTA receivers include (in no particular order):

- Fortec Star, Mercury II or the replacement model, Dynamic
- Visionsat IV-200, which with the addition of an external USB hard drive, becomes a PVR
- Pansat 2700, 2800, 3500
- Traxis 3500
- Coolsat 4000, 5000, 6000, recently discontinued, and so available cheaply on eBay

note: none of these are the popular hacker-boxes, which are so highly advertized.
BUT, they all have blind scan, a necessary feature for real FTA users.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)