New to FTA....some basic questions?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pokey31

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
Pickerington, OH
First off, i have REALLY enjoyed this site since i was introduced to it a week ago. I currently have had a pansat 35" dish with a uniden supra receiver for about 3 years, so i have some basic knowledge of the whole process. I am looking to upgrade to a wineguard 76cm dish and the pansat 3500 receiver. And i live in Ohio.........Now to some questions:

I tried to skim through the forum topics first to find the answers...

1)I noticed on lyngsat all of the different satellites..with my current dish, i can recieve the normal satellites (sbs6, amc9, etc..) in the 61-160 degrees area. In america with a pansat 3500/wineguard 76cm, is it possible to recieve any of the atlantic satellites in the 0-61 degrees range or anyother satellites overseas?? If so, do you need any extra equipment for it?

2)I am aware of the enormous amount of college football on analog-ku.....is there a whole lot of college football on digital-ku fta?

3) I noticed on ebay, they have pansat 3500's for sale with irdeto cards, what type of channels can you pick up with irdeto cards, that you can't normally pick up w/o any type of card?

4)Lastly, i would like to keep my analog uniden reciever hooked up, alongside of my pansat 3500 fta reciever.....is there an easy way to do this with a single lnbf? i am looking at purchasing one of the 2 .3 lnbfs, either the extreme or the invacom.

Thanks in advance for your guys insight......i would be even more lost than i am without it!!

For #2) Last year:

Sportswest feeds were 4:2:0 digital, Sun Belt, PAC-10 and ESPN have some 4:2:0 and 4:2:2. WAC Conference teams use 4:2:0 feeds like COX Cable in El Paso, KFVE in Hawaii, Broncos Television Network, KFRE in Fresno, etc...

More will probably go digital this year I guess and probably from FSN.

4/
You can simply LOOP through the LNB from the DVB receiver into "satellite in" on the analog box. The only down side being that you will be stuck on the same polarity as the DVB receiver, no big deal! One short run of coax will do it : )

or PC Tuners.. like the PCI Twinhan 1020g or USB Starbox.. they will do 4:2:0, 4:2:2, and HD

ultatryon said:
or PC Tuners.. like the PCI Twinhan 1020g or USB Starbox.. they will do 4:2:0, 4:2:2, and HD
My question is that I've been looking over these tuners, and how would that work as far as blind search goes..would you just used your regular FTA receiver, (the lifetime ultra) in my case, and when it has a signal that is 4:2:2 you just switch to your pc or what? And also what about software...am i correct in thinking that you have to download some aftermarket software to actually view the 4:2:2 video. I'd just like to have all my bases covered.

If you have a receiver and a PC card, I'd hook the receiver to the LNB first, then loop the IR out from the receiver to the PC card. So the PC card would be slaved to the receiver and thus the receiver would control polarity.

I'd hook it up this way because you want the receiver to be able to control polarity for blind scanning, which the PC cards can't do.

For the PC cards, you'll need a 3rd party CODEC to view 4:2:2 material. Elecard is one that's commonly used for this.

Anybody know if it's possible to slave a Twinhan 102g to a Coolsat 4000 Pro? If so, what kind of cable do I need and is there any limit on how long it can be?

Thanks

Elecards codec is great, I bought it a while back for HD decoding, and its come in handy for alot of different purposes

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
Anybody know if it's possible to slave a Twinhan 102g to a Coolsat 4000 Pro? If so, what kind of cable do I need and is there any limit on how long it can be?

Thanks

I dont see why not...just need a piece of RG6 cable :)

Iceberg said:
I dont see why not...just need a piece of RG6 cable :)

That sounds easy!

Any length issues here? I would like to run it into my computer room from the living room without drilling through the wall if possible. Might need as much as 50 feet.

How long is the first run of cable between the dish and the receiver? If its not more than, say 75-100 feet, there shouldn't be a problem. You are just adding cable to the total length of the run. I believe Cascade is running nearly 200 feet in his cable run from the dish.

You can always try (without drilling the holes in the walls and dropping the cable) by just using hooking the full length you intend to run between the receiver and PC card to see if everything works well.

Tron said:
How long is the first run of cable between the dish and the receiver? If its not more than, say 75-100 feet, there shouldn't be a problem. You are just adding cable to the total length of the run. I believe Cascade is running nearly 200 feet in his cable run from the dish.

You can always try (without drilling the holes in the walls and dropping the cable) by just using hooking the full length you intend to run between the receiver and PC card to see if everything works well.

The first run is 100 feet. I guess I could buy the card and if worse comes to worse get a dual LNB fir it. Or I could drill a hole through the wall between the living room and my computer room-then the run would only be 25 feet at most.

Thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.