New to me...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

igzo99

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 13, 2006
Guys,

If I buy a receiver from a private party...will I still have to re-commit to a new contract when I activate it?

What is the model number? If it's an old one that is actually owned, then no. If it's a new one there is a very high likelihood that it is not actually owned by the person selling it to you.

What is the model number? If it's an old one that is actually owned, then no. If it's a new one there is a very high likelihood that it is not actually owned by the person selling it to you.

Very good point and I've thought about that myself. Its the HD DVR, the black model. Far as I know, it was given to someone who doesn't know what to do with it. hhhmmmmnnn...now that I think about it, that's sounds pretty lame. I guess I should ask them to define "given" before I buy it off of them.

Yeah, there is a 95% chance that it is a leased receiver. You will either not be able to activate it, or you will go around the world trying to get them to add it as an owned receiver.

Guys,

If I buy a receiver from a private party...will I still have to re-commit to a new contract when I activate it?

Oh yeah... AND be very careful the the selling party REALLY owns the device. I'm not saying people knowingly sell recv'rs. they don't own, BUT... be sure. Unless it's old (HR10 or so) or the party paid around $500 (DVR) they don't own the box. Analogy: just because you pay $2000 up front to lease an auto, you do not own the auto. :cool:

Get the RID# (it is under the access card door) and call D* they can tell you if it is owned or leased and if there is an outstanding balance owed on the receiver.

Yeah, I think I'll just let that one go.

Thanks for the responses.

Get the RID# (it is under the access card door) and call D* they can tell you if it is owned or leased and if there is an outstanding balance owed on the receiver.

That's a thought. Thanks, I think I'll try that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts