New to OTA and need help with inconsistent reception

DeniseO

Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Central Florida
I have looked through the posts and didn't see the issue I am having, but I might not have searched for the right issue/solution. I am very new to OTA TV, until recently I didn't know that there was a solution to getting 'local channels' that are pretty far from me. I did alot of reading online and finally purchased an RCA ANT751, installed it on the back of my house, just below the roofline (two story) and pointed it to 56 degrees. I used RG6 quad shield coax, which runs about 40 feet from the antenna to the tv. I am able to recieve all the yellow, green and red stations, but the VHF, especially the lower stations, are very sporadic and I would like to recieve them.

My questions are, did I buy the right antenna, if I add a pre-amp will that help, or just add more noise and make the channels that are coming in go from good to less good? If I add a second antenna of the same model (is it stacking or ganging?) about 10 feet from the first antenna (horizontally) and point it to 56 degrees, will it solve my reception problem? I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you might have.

Yellow, green, red stations ? Is this from antennaweb.org or tvfool.com ? Can you share the results that either of those give you ?

You mention 56 degrees, quad-shield, pre-amps, etc, etc so it sounds like you have a pretty good idea on this stuff... :)

Amplifiers are good and bad. They can help and can also hurt reception. I wouldn't even consider one unless you're 30+ miles away.

I have read alot, and much of it is contradictory. They don't all give dates of when the information was posted, and there may be differences in the situations that I can't see or understand. I used Antennaweb.org, but think that the response was similar on the other site as well. Here it is: Antenna Listing.GIF

From what I've found so far I'd say the antenna you have is designed more for the High VHF channels and not the lower end VHF channels.
You'll need a different antenna, maybe a pre-amp might help or even stacking another one might improve your signals.

Last edited:
Yeap, I'd agree with sergei. That antenna, though it CLAIMS to work for VHF, isn't by any means "optimal" for VHF. If you were less than 10 miles away, I'm sure it would pick up those VHF channels just fine, but at 45 miles, it's a different story.

Let's take these questions one at a time:
... did I buy the right antenna?
At 42-45 miles out? An ANT751 mounted above the peak of the roof might get the job done, or it might not. At any location lower than the ridgeline, it probably won't.

... if I add a pre-amp will that help...
Amplifiers do not make up for inadequate antennas or antenna placements.

... or just add more noise and make the channels that are coming in go from good to less good?
Probably. An amplifier should not be necessary at all in the described circumstances for a properly mounted antenna of suitable design and gain.

If I add a second antenna of the same model (is it stacking or ganging?) about 10 feet from the first antenna (horizontally) and point it to 56 degrees, will it solve my reception problem?
Don't even think about going there. Seriously.

Try getting a wall or chimney mount and a five-foot mast (available at home centers and Radio Shack), and hoisting the ANT751 above the peak of the roof to see what reception looks like up there. From the sound of things, nearby trees or other obstructions to the "line of sight" may be interfering with reception. If raising the ANT751 doesn't do the job, another antenna is needed. In that case, your best bet would be a higher-gain, all-channel antenna. For an AntennaWeb report that looks like that, and a 50- to 60-foot cable run to a single TV, a Winegard HD-7694 (available online) or an AntennaCraft HBU33 (online or at RS stores) would be decent choices. Let us know the results.

I agree 100% with Don M's observations.

The ANT-751 is likely not enough antenna for reliable reception of those VHF stations at those distances from my experience. Raising the antenna a few feet above the roofline should offer some improvement, so I would suggest trying that first if possible. I noticed quite an improvement on weak VHF's when moving the antenna from roofline level to just 5 feet above the roofline.

If raising higher doesn't offer enough improvement, I would consider nothing less than the Winegard 7694. It is at least 15 to 20% stronger on both VHF & UHF than the ANT-751.

Is everyone asleep here? :):):)

Channel 11(2.1) is the only VHF channel and it is VHF HI just what the antenna is designed for. Ch 6.1 is actually broadcast on UHF CH 26 9.1 is actually UHF CH39.
I agree with Don M the 751 maybe marginal but getting it above the peak of the roof may change reception. This East coast area is basically flat so RF distribution may exceed expectations.

With broadcast locations from 27-109* you will have trouble getting the extremes but with most in the 55-60* range those should not be a problem.

Last edited:
Regardless of other suggestions. The first thing I'd do would be install a digital amplifier as the signal coming into your home may just be below the digital threshold and a amplified signal may be all that is needed to bring the picture back to life. At the distance the transmitter are at your not going to have an issue with signal degradation or noise issue, remember this is all or nothing technology
In the old days, if your signal wasn’t the best or there was some sort of interference, your picture and/or sound quality diminished. You got snow and static.
Digital, on the other hand is less forgiving. You will either get a great picture, or none at all. As the signal coming to your TV starts to degrade, you will see the picture pause, or jump, or even pixelate or
the picture will go blank.
Raising the antenna may or may not help improve your signal and buying a different longer range antenna would help. But the buying a digital amplifier will help improve the signal on all channels and will not be money wasted as it will work on whatever your final setup is.

I’m running the largest consumer antennas Channel Master made, highest gain and each has a pre-amp and then goes into a distribution amplifier and I have absolutely "NO" issue with picture quality, and my stations towers are only 15 miles from me.

Last edited:
Sergei remember in digital GIGO garbage in garbage out if your antenna dosen't capture the signal to brgin with all the amplification in the world won't produce a picture. At 15 miles your setup sounds like a minor miracle that it even works, you have way too much amplification for most homes.

What is a digital amp? It is still an analog carrier wave carrying the digital information.

Sergei remember in digital GIGO garbage in garbage out if your antenna dosen't capture the signal to brgin with all the amplification in the world won't produce a picture. At 15 miles your setup sounds like a minor miracle that it even works, you have way too much amplification for most homes.
I would have to guess if you don't know to design and setup a system then you'll have problems and my systems works good at 15 miles out to 100 miles for getting stations. At 15 miles I get maxium signal reading and at 100 miles I still have around a 60-75 % reading. So there's no real miracles here it just knowing what I'm doing and having the right equipment.to install and test with. And needless to say my dish farm and TV setup is not at all what you'll find in most homes.

What is a digital amp? It is still an analog carrier wave carrying the digital information.

Why do they sell antennas call "digital tv antennas" as old analog still work just fine, it's the same with amplifiers as some manufactures and sites have just stuck the name on it to market it better.

Asleep?

Flat?

"This East Coast area" can be more than 3,000 feet higher than Celina's elevation. For more information, please see "Poor Mountain."

You're welcome.
Well when my parents lived in New Smyrna Beach my memory was nothing more than gentle hills along the coast.
They have been in Sarasota for a while but I still don't think RF distribution is going to be that bad, no major dead spots due to mountains blocking signals.

Last edited:
First, Thank you all for the advise and suggestions. I am picking up the supplies to move the antenna this weekend. I am hoping that this will get me the low vhf numbers, but if it doesn't, I could resort to getting the channel from Tampa, which is directly behind the antenna (Most Orlando stations 50-56 degrees, most Tampa stations 235 - 237 degrees). Will my ANT751 pick up both sets of stations, or will I need to purchase another directional antenna and point it in the opposite direction? If I have to add another antenna could it be on the same mast and coax? If on the same mast, how far apart do they need to be? They should be the same antenna, right? Everything I have read says they need to be the same. Again, thank you for all the help! I really appreciate it.

First, Thank you all for the advise and suggestions. I am picking up the supplies to move the antenna this weekend. I am hoping that this will get me the low vhf numbers, but if it doesn't, I could resort to getting the channel from Tampa, which is directly behind the antenna (Most Orlando stations 50-56 degrees, most Tampa stations 235 - 237 degrees). Will my ANT751 pick up both sets of stations, or will I need to purchase another directional antenna and point it in the opposite direction? If I have to add another antenna could it be on the same mast and coax? If on the same mast, how far apart do they need to be? They should be the same antenna, right? Everything I have read says they need to be the same. Again, thank you for all the help! I really appreciate it.
Take it one step at a time, first see what your reception is like above the roof line. Getting a better antenna will be a lot less hassle than trying to get another antenna combined in a different direction. Channel 2-1 is your only VHF station all the rest are UHF stations even if they map down to VHF channel numbers.
What is your actual zip code?

With Tampa stations about 180* from your Orlando stations you might pick some up from the backside of your antenna depending on distance and broadcast strength.:)

A Channel Master CH2016 or a Winegard HD-1080 are in the same price range and work much better than a 751 and for me at 60 miles over flat land work well.

Last edited:
My zip code is 33837. Looks like I am about 40+ miles from both the Orlando and Tampa stations. This antenna that I have is doing a good job getting all but the low VHF stations, which is NBC and I would like to get that clearly, and some of the Tampa Independants would be nice too.

My zip code is 33837. Looks like I am about 40+ miles from both the Orlando and Tampa stations. This antenna that I have is doing a good job getting all but the low VHF stations, which is NBC and I would like to get that clearly, and some of the Tampa Independants would be nice too.

First, the NBC (WESH) station and (WFLA) station both show them to be VHF-Hi channels per TVFool.. So your antenna should be OK for what you want.
I'm not sure if this was every answered but are you using a converter box, if so I've had problems with a couple of my boxes which are magnavox models and for whatever reason they will just fail to pick up a channel or even rescan it back in. I just had to restart from the very beginning like a new installation before it would pick them back up.
Looking at TVFool you seem to have the ideal location for getting a whole lot of TV stations, wish I had that many to choose from.
If it was my setup I'd raise the antenna like has been suggested above the roof line and then buy another antenna like you already have and point it in the oppose direction, joint them, and add a pre-amp between the two and then you'd have more channel to pick from, but that's me.

Last edited:
When you get the antenna setup on the roof please come back with the latest info. Does your TV or converter box display signal strengths for the TV stations? When you get it mounted you will need to rescan for channels if you gain any channels please note them. Also if you have signal strengths record them in your current location and record above the roof to see if they increase.

I got the antenna up on Saturday morning, and was able to hook the antenna up through my Tivo. I am now getting the lower VHF channel, but appear to have lost some of the Tampa channels that I got when the antenna was on the house (which is surprising, because the house should have blocked some of the signal, that there is no block for now). I was able to check the signal strength once the antenna was up above the house, and the Orlando stations are coming in 71 to 100. The Tampa stations are 28 to 60. I am using Tivo to convert the signal, not a converter box. Before the Tivo arrived, I was going straight into the television.

I got the antenna up on Saturday morning, and was able to hook the antenna up through my Tivo. I am now getting the lower VHF channel, but appear to have lost some of the Tampa channels that I got when the antenna was on the house (which is surprising, because the house should have blocked some of the signal, that there is no block for now). I was able to check the signal strength once the antenna was up above the house, and the Orlando stations are coming in 71 to 100. The Tampa stations are 28 to 60. I am using Tivo to convert the signal, not a converter box. Before the Tivo arrived, I was going straight into the television.

Why not use a signal splitter where the line comes in and attach one leg to the TiVo and one straight into the TV? A simple input change on the set will then allow you to select the signal that presents the best signal choice.