New OTA System Setup - Help a Noob Pick an ASTC Tuner?

sedwards

Original poster
May 9, 2011
Portland, ME
Hello all and thank you for being such a great resource. I am hoping you can help me with a new cable/dish-free setup. I am looking to receive local OTA HD channels. So far I have an Epson EX7200 projector and an RCA ANT1450BR (digital flat antenna, amplified). I realize that I need an ASTC tuner of some type between these two devices. My requirements for the tuner are:

1. Passes through native 1080 signal w/no downsampling to projector
2. Has HDMI input/output
3. Works with universal remote
4. DVR (optional)

I have been combing the internet for info on a setup like this but I'm finding either tuner info that is 5 years old, PC-based setups, or ATSC-DVRs that auto-downsample HD feeds (no native passthrough option). I would ideally like a DVR that will pass on true HD signals, unadulterated, to my projector. If those don't exist, I'd consider a standalone tuner; the HD quality is more important to me than recording. Also, any other considerations or capabilities that you think might be helpful to me are very welcome.

I've been loving my Netflix/streaming/non-cable setup and want to add HD sports from local OTA channels. I have cable-based Internet but don't want to pay an extra penny to TWC if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance!

This is the box you are looking for:
FRYS.com | CHANNEL MASTER CM7000PAL

2 tuners, DVR, 1080i output. Not cheap at $350, but no monthly fee. Somewhat limited name based recording though. DISH used to market this as the DVRPAL. It is basically a DISH 612 with the satellite tuner removed.

You can also get a TIVO Premiere and get full name based recording back, as well as online content like Netflix streaming, but that will involve a monthly fee again.

Edit: Amazon has it for $300
Amazon.com: Channel Master CM-7000PAL Digital Video Recorder, Black: Electronics

Last edited:
Thanks so much jayn - I'm excited about this option - I'd been reading that DVRs that did not downconvert and then upconvert the native 1080 signal did not exist...

It is basically a DISH 612 with the satellite tuner removed.
Interesting likeness; have you looked inside both boxes? Note that a 612 has 1 OTA tuner and 2 sat tuners, while the DTVpal DVR has 2 OTA tuners. Also note that the 612 is an MPEG-4 box while (correct me if I'm wrong) a DTVpal DVR is strictly an mpeg-2 box.

Interesting likeness; have you looked inside both boxes? Note that a 612 has 1 OTA tuner and 2 sat tuners, while the DTVpal DVR has 2 OTA tuners. Also note that the 612 is an MPEG-4 box while (correct me if I'm wrong) a DTVpal DVR is strictly an mpeg-2 box.

Details, just details. So, youse wants me ta write a book 'bout it? Anybody who used a 6xx will feel right at home with it, and that was the important part.

Maybe so. Since posting above, I've read a few comments on AVS forum that state the Pal can actually handle MPEG4 as well. Who knew?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts