New to Roku

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

LoTech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Whitesburg, Kentucky
I just got my new Roku a couple days ago, and so far I really like it. The Amazon streaming rocks. I've tried a couple others like Crackle and Popcorn Flix, and they are pretty good too. I'm a little disappointed, though, that regular Hulu isn't available.

Does anyone have any recommendations for other store channels or private channels?

LoTech said:
I just got my new Roku a couple days ago, and so far I really like it. The Amazon streaming rocks. I've tried a couple others like Crackle and Popcorn Flix, and they are pretty good too. I'm a little disappointed, though, that regular Hulu isn't available.

Does anyone have any recommendations for other store channels or private channels?

Regular hulu is not aviable on any device but your computur browser. Its due to the agrements they have with content owners. Hulu plus is avible on roku, ps3,xbox360 etc

If you are a newsie, there is Al Jazeera English (based in London), BBC News (not the BBC News we get in the US), Russia Today in English and NHK Japan. France 24 is available as well. Whenever there is a big story I go to these sources rather than the infotainment channels that call themselves news channels in the US.

There another channel called Nowhere TV that has all sorts of on demand stuff (entertainment) from all the major networks. The video quality is lacking though.

Well, I've been test driving my Roku for a few days now. So far the things I like best are Crackle and Amazon streaming movies. I signed up for the Netflix free trial, and while it offers some pretty good movies and TV shows, there are very few recent hit movies. I considered the DVDs by mail, but the people I know that have the service say that they can at best get one DVD delivery per week. I think that I'll discontinue the service at the end of the free trial period, and try Hulu Plus. It doesn't have as many movies, but it has most current TV shows.

Things I don't like are the lack of any network TV access (without going through another service like Hulu Plus), and a really good movie service with lots of current films for a subscription price rather than pay as you go.

Overall, though I like the Roku, and would recommend it to others, but I would tell them what they can and can't do with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)