New To RV Dish

What is the best way to bundle a pair of RG-6 coax cables? Zip tie every several inches? Super glue? Hot glue gun? As I said earlier, the idea of dragging around 50' of cable TWICE is just a tad repugnant!

Thanks JSheridan. I found it at AMZN - 50' ~$19. I went by the local Dish installer training center and talked with a tech guy there. Showed him the pix of my convenience center with the separator. He confirmed what NYDutch and JSheridan say.... need the dual messenger to run two Wally receivers off the DPP LNB. Ordered some with weather tight connectors and also picked up an El-Cheapo cord reel from HD. I'm glad I found out about the dual stuff since I thought it might be a nasty job bonding two together in a nice way.

It was suggested to me that grease on the mast flange would be asking for trouble in that the wind might easily turn the dish if there is no resistance. What say you?

Thanks JSheridan. I found it at AMZN - 50' ~$19. I went by the local Dish installer training center and talked with a tech guy there. Showed him the pix of my convenience center with the separator. He confirmed what NYDutch and JSheridan say.... need the dual messenger to run two Wally receivers off the DPP LNB. Ordered some with weather tight connectors and also picked up an El-Cheapo cord reel from HD. I'm glad I found out about the dual stuff since I thought it might be a nasty job bonding two together in a nice way.

It was suggested to me that grease on the mast flange would be asking for trouble in that the wind might easily turn the dish if there is no resistance. What say you?

You're welcome and don't use the grease. Just loosen the bolts and the dish should turn smoothly.

Reactions: TheKrell
So now I've got the messenger dual cable hooked up to #1 & 2 of the DPP LNB. I've mounted the 1000.2 on one of the permanent supports set up in my RV cover with a clear view of the sky at the correct azimuth. The mast is level, plumb and straight up. What do I use as a reference point on the dish to get it looking at the right spot (azimuth)? I've preset the skew & altitude setting per dish pointer app to 46.2 elv, skew says 55.9?? Another app says skew 46. And another says skew 124. The phone app says skew 34!? Does skew matter? And ............ What part of the dish needs to point at 218.2 mag azi?

So now I've got the messenger dual cable hooked up to #1 & 2 of the DPP LNB. I've mounted the 1000.2 on one of the permanent supports set up in my RV cover with a clear view of the sky at the correct azimuth. The mast is level, plumb and straight up. What do I use as a reference point on the dish to get it looking at the right spot (azimuth)? I've preset the skew & altitude setting per dish pointer app to 46.2 elv, skew says 55.9?? Another app says skew 46. And another says skew 124. The phone app says skew 34!? Does skew matter? And ............ What part of the dish needs to point at 218.2 mag azi?
Yes the skew matters...point the bar that the LNB is mounted on for the azi..It's going to take some time to move slowly until you hit the sats.. don't get frustrated.. forget the apps and use this

Last edited:
Yes the skew matters...point the bar that the LNB is mounted on for the azi..It's going to take some time to move slowly until you hit the sats.. don't get frustrated.. forget the apps and use this
The bar that holds the LNBF head is not what to aim. The best reference is the vertical support blades at the back of the dish. When you set the Skew, the arm is turned away from the focus direction, to the right.

Also, the closer you have the compass to the dish, the more off the reading will be because the dish is metal and magnetic deviation will happen. Depending where in the country you are, the magnetic deviation can be up to + or - 19 degrees.

Set the Skew on the dish as close as possible and the Elevation. It is easiest to do this before mounting the dish on the mast.

Mount the dish on the mast and then swing slowly. I usually start to the right of the target direction by 20 degrees and swing left.

There are so many apps that give different skew settings. The one that I initially trusted was dishpointer dot com which gave Dish Skew [?]: 55.9° There phone app says 34. Not sure - maybe that was for a directv dish?? I'm assuming that I subtract 90 from the 124 skew I get using that link? Also, that link does not indicate magnetic declination as does some of the others. And yes, I have found it much easier to adjust those skew and elevation settings b4 mounting on the mast. Thanks for the hints. Compass settings are an old thing with me (amateur astronomer). The deviation is +2d18' here using noaa.gov which means the magnetic is 2 degrees east of true. I got ~50 away from the tripod/dish/rv cover when using the compass. Also advise staying away from power lines.

Back to what part of the dish to use to align with azimuth. So use the 4 bolt mounting plate that holds the reflector as a pointing guide? See pix of my typical setup.
dish10002 showing face of reflector support.jpg

Reactions: charlesrshell
I've found the dishpointer.com settings to be the most accurate in my experience. Make sure you're using the multi-LNB section of the satellite selection chart. The azimuth is aligned using the side plates of the mount where the elevation adjustment is located.

I'm just an old A/C repair guy but inexperienced on this dish stuff. Keeping me baffled. I just ran across a video that made it clear that I was setting the elevation incorrectly. I was using the center of the bolt as the index mark!! Not the straight metal line in my pix. I was certain that the 1000.2 would have an index mark for the elevation as clear as for the skew. It does but I just did not know it. Sad, truly sad. It's really bad when the learning curve is made worse by the fact that all the info on this subject is scattered all about and not in one place. No wonder I could never get any signal. And yes, the Dishpointer app I've got on my phone seems to give me good numbers.

elevation setting index.jpg

If you're using the Dishpointer app for your settings, don't forget to add 90 degrees to the skew shown. If the app shows a 37 deg skew for instance, the dish needs to be set for 127 degrees. Check the readings on the website in the Multi-LNB section to see the difference.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)