New To Site...Can Someone Help Me

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PaulKinard

Original poster
Jun 21, 2008
hello all im new to the site i was wondering if someone might know whats wrong with my dish it's been out of use since 1995 i have a 10 foot perfect 10 satellite reflector von weise actuator arm and a recently got a new receiver off ebay which is a 4dtv digital satellite receiver it's all hooked up and i have set the limits from east to west now my problem is getting digital service i found a website callnps.com on google. and call them up and got service absoulte digital package and im not getting a single channel the guy told me go to go g5-110 and i did and nothing came in but please wait continue to search...but he said it will say that so he did something and said your all set i said ok and got off the phone with him now i cant seem to get any channels nothing but please wait .....

first steps

Have you done anything to service the dish and try to get it back into operation?
A physical inventory may disclose wasp nests in the LNB cover, cracked or cut cables, or anything if it's been down 10+ years.
Feel free to post some pictures.

Does it move?
Then, you should be able to get some sort of signal.
I'm sure the guys here can give you at least an analog transponder to look at to see if you're alive.

If you are all hooked up and moving properly, and locked onto all the satellites, that's great.
There are BUD users here who can give you better advice and info on getting the pay service working. - :up

ok thank you yes it's moving and it locks in on cspan on C4 7 i believe and on c4600 is discovery which it comes in and all but it flickers bad

Have you done anything to service the dish and try to get it back into operation?
A physical inventory may disclose wasp nests in the LNB cover, cracked or cut cables, or anything if it's been down 10+ years.
Feel free to post some pictures.

Does it move?
Then, you should be able to get some sort of signal.
I'm sure the guys here can give you at least an analog transponder to look at to see if you're alive.

If you are all hooked up and moving properly, and locked onto all the satellites, that's great.
There are BUD users here who can give you better advice and info on getting the pay service working. - :up

I think C-span is actually on AMC-11 (C3) transponder 7, not AMC-10 (C4), so your sats are probably set wrong, if your digital channels are not locking good then your dish needs to be bumped or skewed or it needs an alingment job.

What model 4dtv did you purchase? is it a 920 922 or 905? if it's a 920 I hope you made sure the battery was swapped before the purchase, or the unit may die on you, so get it changed asap, same as a older 922 with a GI name, a new 922 with the Motorola name should be ok, still mite want to get the serial number to see how old it is.

Welcome to the forum. Here you will find courteous helpful people who love the satellite hobby.

Usually everyone takes hits on G1 (G15) satellite 133West channel 3.
Try going to G1 - 3 and use the right arrow button on your 4DTV remote to show signal quality. On a 10' It should be into the 80+ percentage.

Anything better than 40 percent should get you a rehit.

If G1 position is not programmed right just go to "G1-3" with your signal quality meter up and use the manual East / West buttons and move the dish until you see it light up. When the DCII light turns green stop moving the dish and bump it east or west to get the best signal.

You then may want to save that position in the receiver if the original position was incorrect.
If you have trouble locking digital signals after you have confirmed there are no bugs or nests in your feedhorn and all cables are in good order, you may need a lower noise more stable lnb.

Keep us posted.

i removed the cover on the dish. cleaned up a good bit around it this morning and greased up the arm sprayed some wd40 around the bolts where the dish moves upon i seen some webbs up in the cover but pretty much clean looked @ wires they seem to look like new under the cover made sure they was tight still and they was im going to re program my satellites today ill post what happens thank you

Contrary to the claims made for the temporary use of WD-40, at displacing moisture and preventing rust, it tends to dissipate fairly quickly.
This leaves the surface more prone to rust in the long run.
Not unlike Armor All, where you need to keep using it, to maintain usefulness. :eek:
And yes, I have a one gallon can of WD40, and use it where appropriate (usually as a cleaner).

So, for unattended surfaces, you are better cleaning and drying them, and applying a good grease.
I recommend some axle grease, loaded with Molybdenum disulfide.
It won't cost that much, and you can forget about maintenance for a long time (as we all tend to do). - :rolleyes:

ok now how do i go about adjusting this dish i got it to come in. its just flicks real bad on c3 600-612 pretty bad what do i adjust to get rid of this nonsense

When you are on C3, what are your signal quality readings?

Use the right arrow on your 4dtv remote and it will show quality in the far right side top of your tv screen.

Your dish could need a little re alignment, you could need a newer more modern lower noise lnb.

Get the info from the lnb and feed horn.

You may also have to adjust your skew control if you have a servo motor controlled feedhorn to bring in the digital signal better.

Remember using the wrong grease has the side effect of attaching dirt which will become an abrasive on the shaft, also in cold weather it will stiffen and make it harder to move dish. I spray Pyroil White Lithium Grease on the shaft while moving the dish it full arc, then wiping the shaft. You want to put White Lithium Grease inside the tube if possible, one of my actuators even has a grease fitting for that.

Pyroil White Lithium Grease is a heavy-duty lubricant spray for auto, home, farm, marine and shop. Designed for all metal-to-metal applications, it helps prevent rust and corrosion. It sprays on as a liquid, penetrates tiny crevices, and then sets up as a lubricating grease that stays put.
  • Multi-purpose lubricant spray for auto, home, farm, marine and shop
  • For all metal-to-metal applications
  • Helps prevent rust and corrosion
  • Heavy-duty lubricant with penetrating action

Im on C4600 discovery - and it's signal is 68 and the quality is 17-20 back and forth and it will drop down to 12 then it starts to flicker bad what could be causing this. the lnb is new calamp 20k

Try going to G1-5 and adjust your dish for the maxium signal, you should be around 90. Then go to G1-3 and check signal and quality, no picture, but you should be able to get a DC lock. Your reading on C4 is really low for getting a good picture, If adjusting the skew doesn't help, then try adjusting the horizon screw. BUT only make very small adjustment and recheck. At this time I would not do anything with the elevation, but this is assuming your arc is good, this can be checked by going to different satellites.

Status
Please reply by conversation.