New to the forum, can't get my remote programmed

Status
Please reply by conversation.

STLProgrammer

Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
Missouri
Hi all, I am a novice at electronics and a beginner at forums so please bear with me. This forum seemed like it had a lot of smart people on it so I decided to join and post my question here.

I got DirecTV back in the '90s for NFL Sunday Ticket and have enjoyed it ever since. Well, this year I found out I had to upgrade my receiver in order to watch NFL Sunday Ticket. Ok, I got the receivers (2 for the house), set them up and activated them with no problem.

In 1 room I have a receiver with a Panasonic TV and a Mitsubishi VCR. In the other room I have a Panasonic TV (HDTV Flat screen Monitor CT-32HX42F I bought in 2002) and a combination VCR/DVD player (Panasonic PV-D4752 I bought in 2002). I can't get either remote to talk to anything but the receivers.

I have spent maybe 4 hours on the phone with DirecTV today trying every code they could come up with and many codes multiple times, I went through there code search on both TVs, I tried Google and tried every remote code that I could find for any Panasonic TV and nothing has worked.

At this point I'm just trying to get the Flat Screen TV programmed into the remote. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be going on?

(These were the instructions I followed for trying a code. Set the remote to TV, then held down mute and select at the same time, then type in the code, then hit the power button, if the TV goes off you're done. My TV never did anything for any code I tried.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ray
(Java Programmer in St. Louis.)
progress.gif

Slide mode to TV... make sure your tv is ON

press and hold BOTH mute and select at the same time... when the light flashes 2 times

press 9-9-1 (wait for flash 2 times again) press 1 (flash two times)

then use the channel UP button and go slow til your TV shuts off... when it shuts off, press select... then now your TV is programmed with the remote.

this is a code to use if your tv code is NOT on the list.

as your vcrs and what nots.. you can program them into your AV1 or AV2 but you will need to find the code numbers for them

screw the harmony if you dont wanna spend the $$$... i still find DTV remote just as good if you arent doing multiples of recievers in the SAME room and exceeding 3 or more recivers for like a bar where some have 12 tvs and want one remote for all. harmony would be the way to go but for u set up.. DTV remote is good enuf.

Thanks a lot sddtvtech. I'll try what you said when I get time this morning and I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks also boba, if I can't get the first to work then your suggestion sounds better than having 2 or more remotes to juggle.

Ray

Hey sddtvtech, two more question I just thought of.

1) After I press 991 and then 1 the instructions I got from the DirecTV gal was to press the power button and then start pressing the channel up. You don't list pressing the power button. I can leave that step out?

2) After I press the channel up and let it go, how long do I have to wait until I press it again? I was waiting 2 or 3 seconds in between pressings but it seems like it can be quicker than that.

Thanks

no leave the power button out of it. i used to do that, but now it doesnt work as far as i know bc i couldnt find code doing that anymore.

id press it a 1-2 secs... i go pretty fast but once the tv shuts off, and if i had pressed it twice after it shuts off, i press channel DOWN til the tv comes back on.. (some tvs wont come back on and have to repeat the set up again)

[edit] id say go a moderate speed n that youre paying attention to the tv and ready to stop quickly. [/edit]

I must be doing something wrong. You said:

press and hold BOTH mute and select at the same time... when the light flashes 2 times

press 9-9-1 (wait for flash 2 times again) press 1 (flash two times)

Everytime that I press a button even with the mode set to TV the light flashes under the DirecTV symbol. So when I hold the mute and select button down, the first flash is under the DirecTV symbol and the second flash is under the leters TV. There are no flashes after that. Then, when I press 991 there is a flash under the DirecTV symbol every time that I press a digit, but after I finish with 991 there are no flashes after that. I've waited about a minute after that and nothing. I must be doing something wrong because I'm not getting the results that you describe.

you pressing select and mute button at the same time? mode must stay on TV mode. it should NOT flash under the DTV symbol at all. all lights should be flashing under the TV with the MODE slide all the way to the RIGHT on the mode select.

i just tried it the way i said it with my remote and it worked. maybe your remote is a bad remote, highly unlikely though...

step by step again.

10 Steps to Program Your Directv Remote

1. Turn on television.

2. Locate the switch at the top of your remote that allows you to toggle between receiver, auxilary, and TV modes. Slide switch over to"TV".

3. Hold down MUTE and SELECT until a small green light at the top of the switch blinks twice.

4. Enter code 9911.

5. Press and release the CHANNEL UP button repeatedly until television turns off.

6. When TV turns off, press SELECT.

7. Next, press the power button. This should turn the TV back on.

8. With television on, press and hold down MUTE and SELECT again until the small light blinks twice (same as in step 3).

9. Entercode 960.

10. Slide switch back over to "DTV". Your remote is now ready to use!

the last code is for your TV input button.

Clear the programming first.

An oddity of the DirecTV programming think is that you need to program the TV first and the receiver second if what you are doing is trying to program your remote to run your cable box and control volume through your receiver (the remote won't do both-you control volume through the TV or the receiver).

I'm not going to go through all the steps in your onscreen intructions, but try this:

First, follow the onscreen intructions to clear all programming from the remote.

Second, follow the instructions to program your television.

Third, follow the instructions to program your receiver, volume, etc. If you mess it up, CLEAR the remote and then start over. I tried for weeks to get mine to work on two different DVRs, but learned that the remote would not control a receiver unless a TV brand and instructions were entered first, even if I had not interest in controlling the TV. Don't know why, that's just the way it worked.

In summary, do it step by step, but always TV first, then receiver. Always clear before you try it again. Good luck.

Respectfully,
The Camper

An oddity of the DirecTV programming think is that you need to program the TV first and the receiver second if what you are doing is trying to program your remote to run your cable box and control volume through your receiver (the remote won't do both-you control volume through the TV or the receiver).

I'm not going to go through all the steps in your onscreen intructions, but try this:

First, follow the onscreen intructions to clear all programming from the remote.

Second, follow the instructions to program your television.

Third, follow the instructions to program your receiver, volume, etc. If you mess it up, CLEAR the remote and then start over. I tried for weeks to get mine to work on two different DVRs, but learned that the remote would not control a receiver unless a TV brand and instructions were entered first, even if I had not interest in controlling the TV. Don't know why, that's just the way it worked.

In summary, do it step by step, but always TV first, then receiver. Always clear before you try it again. Good luck.

Respectfully,
The Camper
HMMM... Directv remotes are already programmed for Directv recievers! unless they are older Directv recievers;)

Maybe I said it wrong: The remote will not control the A/V receiver unless it is programmed for the TV first. Of course the remote is programmed for the DirecTV receiver. I, like many people, use my A/V receiver to run the volume in my system. So, the remote changes channels, etc., on my DirecTV receiver, and controls the volume on my A/V receiver. It will also control the television, but I don't need the DirecTV remote to control the television.

So, I assumed that what this guy wants to do is to control his DirecTV receiver and his A/V receiver, and maybe his TV.

My point was that you cannot program the brand name and control code for the A/V receiver, unless the remote has already been programmed for a brand name and remote code for a TV, even if you don't want the DirecTV to control the TV.

Darn, this seemed clear to me. I have nine televisions running off five DirecTV receivers and have no special knowlege other than being a charter DirecTV subscriber, so I've hit most consumer problems over many years.

Your response is one of the reasons I quit posting here. Usually, I know much more than the idiots MasTec has sent to our house, but maybe not in this case.

sddtvtech, I followed your instructions as closely as I could and still didn't have any luck.

You said in one of your posts this:

it should NOT flash under the DTV symbol at all. all lights should be flashing under the TV with the MODE slide all the way to the RIGHT on the mode select.

That seems to be my problem. I slide the mode to the right under TV. I hold down mute and select. It flashes once under DTV and a second time under TV. Every button that I press after that in the instructions causes a flash under the DTV mode symbol. That sure doesn't sound right. Sounds to me like the remote still thinks that it is in program DTV mode. What does it sound like to you?

As for an A/V receiver, no. I just have the DTV receiver plugged into a combo VHS/DVD, which is cabled to a TV. Pretty simple and basic system layout.

Ok, that is what happened in my latest attempt.

Thanks,
Ray

yah it should flash a light in the TV mode and not DTV first. sounds like a bad remote to me. if i could, i got crap load of remotes on my van.

you have two remotes right? did you try the OTHER one and see if it will do the same? what model is your Recievers? u arent using a RCA Directv remote are you?

if its a WHITE remote with just DTV on it... then its a DTV remote.

try this.. reset your remote...

menu> parental, favs, & setups> system setup> Remote> Program Remote> Reset Remote. (follow instructions)

Then try doing the step by step.

First let me say that I really appreciate your help. My wife has poor health and can't get up and down to mess with stuff, so I appreciate you taking your time to help me try to figure this out.

Yes, I have 2 receivers and each one came with its own remote. Both receivers were replacement ones (I had the old RCA receivers and now they say DirecTV on them. ) The box says that it is a D12-100. The remotes both say RC64 on them. We have been careful to keep the right remote with the receiver that it came with. Both remotes are doing the same thing.

Before I reset the remote :eek:, I need my nerves calmed. Will this wipe out the setting that allows the remote to talk to the receiver? I wouldn't want to do that. If it can still talk to the receiver then I'll be ok so let me know.

Thanks,
Ray

Maybe I said it wrong: The remote will not control the A/V receiver unless it is programmed for the TV first. Of course the remote is programmed for the DirecTV receiver. I, like many people, use my A/V receiver to run the volume in my system. So, the remote changes channels, etc., on my DirecTV receiver, and controls the volume on my A/V receiver. It will also control the television, but I don't need the DirecTV remote to control the television.

So, I assumed that what this guy wants to do is to control his DirecTV receiver and his A/V receiver, and maybe his TV.

My point was that you cannot program the brand name and control code for the A/V receiver, unless the remote has already been programmed for a brand name and remote code for a TV, even if you don't want the DirecTV to control the TV.

Darn, this seemed clear to me. I have nine televisions running off five DirecTV receivers and have no special knowlege other than being a charter DirecTV subscriber, so I've hit most consumer problems over many years.

Your response is one of the reasons I quit posting here. Usually, I know much more than the idiots MasTec has sent to our house, but maybe not in this case.
WOW!?!:eek: Did I strike a nerve? Was not intending to upset you, my comment was made so that OP was not confused, mabey I misread your post but from what I recall I never saw a specified reciever type.. just a RECIEVER. BTW If you live in the waco/temple/killeen area I probably was one of the Idiot techs that came to your house:rolleyes: If you know more than a DirecTV TECHNICIAN, why did you call for one in the first place???

Last edited:
you pressing select and mute button at the same time? mode must stay on TV mode. it should NOT flash under the DTV symbol at all. all lights should be flashing under the TV with the MODE slide all the way to the RIGHT on the mode select.

On a unprogrammed remote, pressing MUTE key will flash the light under DTV key, reason is volume keys and mute are never without IR commands. If there isn't a tv, av receiver or Dvd volume programmed in, then there is IR command that when Directv receiver see it, puts message at the bottom of the screen telling you to program the tv device.

If you want to try it, reset the remote using 981. Once there is tv code in, pressing mute will flash the light under the tv device.

As for OP, the initial flashing of the keys as you press it, means nothing, its once you are pressing and holding MUTE & SELECT together, wait for the two blinks, those are the blinks that count.

So just try the following:

1. tv
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT, wait for two blinks
3. enter 1 0 2 5 0

Try ALL keys, not just the TV ON & OFF keys.

the code for panasonic should be 10250, did you give that a shot?

Slide bar to TV
Mute + Select together (light above tv flashes twice)
Enter the numbers 1-0-2-5-0 (light above tv flashes twice)
try to adjust volume, then press 'off' then press 'on'
depending on the age of the tv it is possible on and off will not work and you will need to press 'power'
if that code worked for you press Mute + Select together again
light will flash twice again
Enter the numbers 9-6-0, light will flash twice again
slide bar back to DTV

Yes I did try that number. On Saturday I talked to the DirecTV people for a few hours and tried maybe 50 numbers with them. Then I went to DirecTV.com and tried every number for Panasonic's that I could find. Then I googled and tried every number that I could find for Panasonic's. I must have tried that number 5 times at least by now. I'm at work now, but I'll follow your steps and try it again when I get home. The thing is, that TV was purchased in 2002, it isn't that old.

With my old (RCA) receiver there were just 3 digit codes. The code for my TV was 170. Trying 00170 and 11170 didn't work. Is there any way of finding out what the old 3 digit code (170) translates or is equivalent to with this new 5 digit equipment?

Thanks,
Ray

Status
Please reply by conversation.