New to the forum, can't get my remote programmed

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hi all, thank you for helping me. I got home tonight and tried your suggestions.

1) I tried programming the TV with code 10250. It didn't work. No 2 flashing lights under TV after I entered 10250 and the volume, off, etc buttons didn't work.

2) I reset the remote per the instructions on DirecTV menu and then tried 10250 again, again no luck.

3) The instructions for resetting the remote say that after I enter 981 I should see a light in the mode area flash 4 times. I didn't see any light flash even once.

Got any other ideas?

Thanks,
Ray

id call Directv and get a replacement remote... this HOPEFULLY should fix your problem. id send you one but id get into trouble for doing that.

You mentioned two or both remotes failing to work with your setup. I suppose it's possible that two malfunctioning remotes were delivered; looks like your from the show me state.

Thank you. I'll give DirecTV another call when I get time. I appreciate all of your help and I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks,
Ray

You mentioned two or both remotes failing to work with your setup. I suppose it's possible that two malfunctioning remotes were delivered; looks like your from the show me state.

what does that have to do with ANYTHING?

ive had 2 BRAND new recievers dead out of the box and only having then a Refurb come out and hit a home run and work like a brand new one shuld.

it can happen.

what does that have to do with ANYTHING?

ive had 2 BRAND new recievers dead out of the box and only having then a Refurb come out and hit a home run and work like a brand new one shuld.

it can happen.

I guess you missed the "I suppose it's possible" part. :D

I too have had some bad luck when it comes to purchasing multiple products & having them both fail; the fact that he spent hours with tech support supports his theory.

well i did the same step instructions and thought try this and that to see... results, bad remote. plain and simple. it doesnt take much for something to interfere with a remote. I know when i got bad Brand New Recievers, they told me, due to 9/11 attack... most boxes are scanned and some magnetic scanners will screw up a reciever and be dead out of a box. thats not the number one cause though... it has been said it is one of the reasons to cause it.

Bingo. My TVs are up and running.

The short version is that, when you press the mute and select, you need to keep on holding it until the light under TV flashes twice. No body ever said that, they just said hold down mute and select and when you see two flashes that's it.

Ok, the long story. I call DirecTV and get a very friendly girl. I explained that I thought I had a bad remote and why I thought that and she sent me to the protection plan people (because I have that). Ok, so I explain my story to her again. She tries 1 code and it didn't work. So she has me let the remote go through all of its codes with me pressing the channel up button. Nothing was happening. Ok, after about 10 minutes she said to stop because it had been through all of the codes. I knew better, the documentation says that when it runs out that it would flash at the top of the remote which it hadn't. Then she tried to tell me that since I had a Panasonic there were only 35 codes and the remote would stop after 35 codes. Now how would my unprogrammed remote know that the TV I was trying to program it for was a Panasonic? So I ask for her supervisor. When he came on we went through it again. This time I am going slow and telling him every flash and where it happens. For the first time he said it was supposed to flash twice under the TV letters. I was supposed to keep holding the mute select until the remote flashed twice under the TV letters. Now I had asked this maybe 3 times to other people and they said that what I was doing was fine, this guy heard what I said and knew better. Ok, so I hold it down and get the flashes and bingo, my TV gets programmed.

Boy, what trouble that was. Hope the programming for the VCRs goes better :).

Thanks everyone for all of your help and suggestions.

Ray

STLProgrammer said:
The short version is that, when you press the mute and select, you need to keep on holding it until the light under TV flashes twice. No body ever said that, they just said hold down mute and select and when you see two flashes that's it.

you pressing select and mute button at the same time? mode must stay on TV mode. it should NOT flash under the DTV symbol at all. all lights should be flashing under the TV with the MODE slide all the way to the RIGHT on the mode select.

i just tried it the way i said it with my remote and it worked. maybe your remote is a bad remote, highly unlikely though...

step by step again.

10 Steps to Program Your Directv Remote

1. Turn on television.

2. Locate the switch at the top of your remote that allows you to toggle between receiver, auxilary, and TV modes. Slide switch over to"TV".

3. Hold down MUTE and SELECT until a small green light at the top of the switch blinks twice.

4. Enter code 9911.

5. Press and release the CHANNEL UP button repeatedly until television turns off.

6. When TV turns off, press SELECT.

7. Next, press the power button. This should turn the TV back on.

8. With television on, press and hold down MUTE and SELECT again until the small light blinks twice (same as in step 3).

9. Entercode 960.

10. Slide switch back over to "DTV". Your remote is now ready to use!

the last code is for your TV input button.

uh yah i did say hold it down til the light flashes twice.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)