New to This

Gary C Miller

Original poster
Mar 17, 2021
Pennsylvania
Good day all,

I’ve recently been gifted a FTA setup and am looking for help with it. I received a Digiwave 7200s receiver and Ku Band dish. I did a test run of it and the dish is receiving signal from Echostar 110 and 119 so it’s working. The receiver however is a different story. It doesn’t appear to have been updated for at least 10-12 years. Naturally nothing found on any of the satellites with some not even responding as they’re no longer transmitting.

So where I need help is is this receiver worth updating the firmware and software in and if so how do I do it? This is just something to play with that if I can make usable I will in my shed or my ham shack, and if not no loss. I use an OTA antenna and am close enough to the Pittsburgh market that I receive tons of channels, but I’m not opposed to playing around with this setup if it can be done at a reasonable cost.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to SatelliteGuys Gary.
Well someone has set that receiver up to hack DISH Network. Which of course is stealing and is not condoned here. If you want to use it for true FTA you will need to see if you can find firmware to restore it back to a proper FTA receiver.
Then it being an older model may not decode most of what is up there, as most stuff has went to DVB-S2. Might be better to get a newer receiver. That is if you want to pursue true FTA.
What kind of dish is it? If it is a DISH or DirecTV dish, it will be too small for FTA work, so you would also have to get a new larger dish.
It should be also noted that with true FTA you may get some of the main stream channels and you may not. Things come and go, and that is the part of this hobby. The fun is to see what you can get and find that is IN THE CLEAR and not scrambled. :)

We will be more than happy to point you in the right direction!

First you must ____________ then go in to the settings and ______________ . Press enter on the remote. On screen you should see ________________. If you do, then download ______________ from _____________ and then _____________.

If you don't see ________________ on screen then you should __________________. Then try enter on the remote again.

After ___________ the receiver will ________________. After the receiver has booted press and hold _______ on the remote until __________ is shown. While on screen, using the remote keypad enter _________ and hit enter.

If ________ shows __________ or receiver displays _________ then repeat the above steps.

:drunk Cheers friend!

First you must ____________ then go in to the settings and ______________ . Press enter on the remote. On screen you should see ________________. If you do, then download ______________ from _____________ and then _____________.

If you don't see ________________ on screen then you should __________________. Then try enter on the remote again.

After ___________ the receiver will ________________. After the receiver has booted press and hold _______ on the remote until __________ is shown. While on screen, using the remote keypad enter _________ and hit enter.

If ________ shows __________ or receiver displays _________ then repeat the above steps.

:drunk Cheers friend!
What is this, fill in the blank day? How is he supposed to follow instructions that don't give instructions?

Welcome to SatelliteGuys Gary.
Well someone has set that receiver up to hack DISH Network. Which of course is stealing and is not condoned here. If you want to use it for true FTA you will need to see if you can find firmware to restore it back to a proper FTA receiver.
Then it being an older model may not decode most of what is up there, as most stuff has went to DVB-S2. Might be better to get a newer receiver. That is if you want to pursue true FTA.
What kind of dish is it? If it is a DISH or DirecTV dish, it will be too small for FTA work, so you would also have to get a new larger dish.
It should be also noted that with true FTA you may get some of the main stream channels and you may not. Things come and go, and that is the part of this hobby. The fun is to see what you can get and find that is IN THE CLEAR and not scrambled. :)

We will be more than happy to point you in the right direction!

Well that’s a good start, the dish is a standard 39” for Ku so I know we’re good there. What would one need to get started in the way of a receiver that won’t break the bank? From what homework I did on the 7200s there’s not much left in the way of support these days, hence how I landed here lol. It sounds like this is kind of like AM DX, one day here and the next day gone. I could get used to that kind of fun

The above two, will be back in stock on Friday.

This is also a great receiver:

What is this, fill in the blank day? How is he supposed to follow instructions that don't give instructions?
I apologize friend, it was a silly joke based on cloning autoscrape BISS CAM yet adhering to satguys rules of no hack talk.

I only went there because the link to an ebay auction for a BatteryCard seems to have expired.

Reactions: skykingrgc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)