New to Voom - Antenna & Other Questions

njjeepguy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 19, 2004
New Jersey
My install was done yesterday. First off the install went good, no real problems. I have read some horror stories but no complaints from me. I even added a 3rd box while they were here, one quick call to Customer Service and they added the box, no hassles.

The "standard" antenna they installed does not pick up any signal strength. I made a phone call while the installers were there and they are coming back to change out the antenna for a different one. My ZIP is 08701 and according to the Customer Service Rep I talked to I am just on the borderline of the antenna they used (57 miles). She said that the new antenna should handle approximately 90 miles? Anyone have a similar experience with his or her install? Will it actually pick up the signal? I am trying to figure out if I am going to have to keep basic cable for the locals.

I have also read some comments that they should have ran 2 lines to the Voom box, one from the dish and one form the antenna instead of using a diplexer, does it really make a difference?

Also what is considered good satellite signal strength? The strength last night was in the mid 50's but this morning (I assume after the software update) the strength was 95-96. I also noticed that the channels changed faster.

One of the boxes will not pick up the channel guide though. I called last night and they "hit the box" and it popped up but after the box locked up and I rebooted it will not pick up the guide. Is it a faulty box? Also this is the only box that displays the sat. strength info.

I am switching from digital cable with HD (iO cablevision) which had a decent amount of HD content compared to other cable companies. I will have to say the picture quality on ALL channels is much better and the HD channels are incredible!

Any help/suggestions would be great!

Great to hear you had a great installation. Regarding your OTA antenna, it is possible that you are out of range with the Stealth Antenna. I will let them install the new one.

Diplexer: ummmm... Wait until the other OTA antenna is installed if that does not work, ask the diplexer to be removed.

The Quality signal strength that you have sounds good.

When you say it will not pick up the guide, do you mean that the guide is not there or is it that the Guide Inforamtion is not there?

That's strange that only one of your boxes is picking up the satellite strength information. Are you sure? Did you go to the system settings menu? There is an FAQ regardin the STB that you should read...

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=13946

The Guide info will not show up. All of the channels say No Information available. The other 2 boxes are fine. They finished the install around 1pm yesterday. I called customer service around 7pm and they worked their magic and it popped rite up. About 2 hours later the box locked up and I rebooted it and it lost the channel info. Still this am no channel info. It did however do the software update and corrected the time/time zone. The channels switch faster but it did lock up again. Rebooted it and about an hour later still no channel info. I left for work so I don’t know yet if it ever did come back. I just thought it was strange that the other 2 boxes picked it up rite away after install and this one seems "quirky".

As far as the other box with the sat strength, the channels show fine but it says 0 strength. I though that was strange.....

Also one other note... Even though I am not receiving any OTA channels yet, the ones that are listed in the guide seem a little off from what Voom's website shows I should have.

nj,

After you reboot the box, leave it off for 12-15 minutes to download the program info. If you leave the box on, it takes much longer to receive program information.

The box should be much faster and more responsive after you receive the new software update. The next major software update is also coming soon, which should further improve the functionality of the box.

Don't forget to configure your favorites list -- as this can be accessed with a single press on the remote.

njjeepguy said:
The Guide info will not show up. All of the channels say No Information available. The other 2 boxes are fine. They finished the install around 1pm yesterday. I called customer service around 7pm and they worked their magic and it popped rite up. About 2 hours later the box locked up and I rebooted it and it lost the channel info. Still this am no channel info. It did however do the software update and corrected the time/time zone. The channels switch faster but it did lock up again. Rebooted it and about an hour later still no channel info. I left for work so I don’t know yet if it ever did come back. I just thought it was strange that the other 2 boxes picked it up rite away after install and this one seems "quirky".

As far as the other box with the sat strength, the channels show fine but it says 0 strength. I though that was strange.....

Also one other note... Even though I am not receiving any OTA channels yet, the ones that are listed in the guide seem a little off from what Voom's website shows I should have.

I suggest to call CS again and ask for a re-hit. This might be a bad box. Can you post the channels on your guide? and go to www.antennaweb.org and see which ones are supposed to be live in your area. This will give us an indication what is what when comparing both.

Ken F said:
nj,
After you reboot the box, leave it off for 12-15 minutes to download the program info. If you leave the box on, it takes much longer to receive program information.
Actually, you can leave it on, just don't change channels while the PG is loading...

njjeepguy said:
My install was done yesterday. First off the install went good, no real problems. I have read some horror stories but no complaints from me. I even added a 3rd box while they were here, one quick call to Customer Service and they added the box, no hassles.

The "standard" antenna they installed does not pick up any signal strength. I made a phone call while the installers were there and they are coming back to change out the antenna for a different one. My ZIP is 08701 and according to the Customer Service Rep I talked to I am just on the borderline of the antenna they used (57 miles). She said that the new antenna should handle approximately 90 miles? Anyone have a similar experience with his or her install? Will it actually pick up the signal? I am trying to figure out if I am going to have to keep basic cable for the locals.

I have also read some comments that they should have ran 2 lines to the Voom box, one from the dish and one form the antenna instead of using a diplexer, does it really make a difference?

Also what is considered good satellite signal strength? The strength last night was in the mid 50's but this morning (I assume after the software update) the strength was 95-96. I also noticed that the channels changed faster.

One of the boxes will not pick up the channel guide though. I called last night and they "hit the box" and it popped up but after the box locked up and I rebooted it will not pick up the guide. Is it a faulty box? Also this is the only box that displays the sat. strength info.

I am switching from digital cable with HD (iO cablevision) which had a decent amount of HD content compared to other cable companies. I will have to say the picture quality on ALL channels is much better and the HD channels are incredible!

Any help/suggestions would be great!

I also had a good install and they put up a Winegard ota antenna. My problem is direction. There are 3 stations clustered at a compass orientation of about 243 and 6.7 miles away (ABC, PBS, and Fox). The local CBS is at 345 degrees and is 17.3 miles away. The Winegard can get one or the other of these, but not both at the same time.
There is an NBC station that is mapped that is at 14 degrees and is 58 miles away and their website says there signal gets into my city (La Crosse, WI), but that cannot be picked up at all. Also, the Fox station is 17.1, but is not mapped, so it does not show up at all. The Fox station should easily come in because it is right with the ABC and PBS.

The installer recommended a Square Shooter because there has been good luck with it in my area. He said VOOM might not want to pay for what it costs. The NBC channel is receiveable because others near me get it, although I might concede that it is too far away. That's a bummer because I watch a lot of NBC. With the right antenna I should be able to get the CBS channel because it is received when the Winegard is pointed the right. I would at least like to have that one with the others.

Sean Mota said:
I suggest to call CS again and ask for a re-hit. This might be a bad box. Can you post the channels on your guide? and go to www.antennaweb.org and see which ones are supposed to be live in your area. This will give us an indication what is what when comparing both.

These are the channels I have listed:
2-1 wcbsd1
4-1 wnbcd1
5-1 wnywd1
5-2 wnywd2
7-1 wabcd1
7-2 wabcd2
8-15 in voom
11-1 wpixd1
13-1 wnetd1
13-2 wnetd2
21-1 wliwd2
25-1 wnyed1
25-2 wnyed2
25-3 wnyed3
41-1 wxtvd1
49-1 wedwd1
49-2 wedwd2
49-3 wedwd3
49-4 wedwd4
50-1 wnjnd1
50-2 wnjnd2
50-3 wnjnd3
50-4 wnjnd4
50-5 wnjnd5
54-1 wtbyd1
54-2 wtbyd2
54-3 wtbyd3
54-4 wtbyd4
55-1 wlnyd1
62-1 wrnnd1
63-1 wmbcd1
67-1 wftyd1
68-1 wfutd1

Sean Mota said:
njjeepguy,

these are all NYC metro area locals. How far are you from Manhattan?

I am about 57 miles from NYC.

According to voom's website I should have
WCBSDT
KYWDT
WNBCDT
WNYWDT
WNYWDT2
WPVIDT
WABCDT
WABCDT2
WCAUDT
WPIXDT
WNETDT
WNETDT2
WPHLDT
WNYEDT
WNYEDT2
WNYEDT3
WTXFDT
WYBEDT
WXTVDT
WNJTDT
WNJTDT2
WNJTDT3
WNJTDT4
WNJTDT5
WPSGDT
WWSIDT
WFUTDT

There are a few differences, just wondering why? If something is not configured correctly.

Welcome, njjeepguy!

The first couple of days can be a little frustrating, but a little patience and the occasional "factory reset" will get you up to speed. You really should read sean's faq posted at the top of the voom forum. (Voom should email that one to all new customers).

As far as the OTA mapping goes, there is supposed to be an "auto mapping" element in the new software update, when it's released. Right, Sean? :confused:

TechCop said:
The first couple of days can be a little frustrating, but a little patience and the occasional "factory reset" will get you up to speed. You really should read sean's faq posted at the top of the voom forum. (Voom should email that one to all new customers).

As far as the OTA mapping goes, there is supposed to be an "auto mapping" element in the new software update, when it's released. Right, Sean? :confused:

Yes, OTA manual scanning will be coming in the next release. It will make a lot of things easier and it will eliminate a lot of the OTA mapping issues.

Anyone in the area have a similiar situation where they offered to swap out the antenna? Any guesses as to what they will bring?

I totally understand problems with new services. I had really rough start when they rolled out the digital cable in my area and again when they rolled out the HD service. But they usually got it fixed in a short amount of time. My only real complaint so far besides the issues with the locals is the channel switching speeds and the box locking up, both of which were also a problem in the beginning with the digital cable, after a few software/firmware revisions they got it fixed.

Looks like I am going to have to keep basic cable anyway because tivo apparently has problems tuning the locals with the voom box.

njjee,

The new software significant improves the channel changing speeds; it also improves stability. New customers generally receive the new software within their first three days of service. If you don't get it tonight, you'll probably get it tomorrow night.

elocs said:
There is an NBC station that is mapped that is at 14 degrees and is 58 miles away and their website says there signal gets into my city (La Crosse, WI), but that cannot be picked up at all. Also, the Fox station is 17.1, but is not mapped, so it does not show up at all. The Fox station should easily come in because it is right with the ABC and PBS.

elocs:

Just as an FYI, WLAX fox 17.1 is not live yet so you will not be able to get it. The last time I heard from them (about a month ago) they told me they don't even have the equipment yet...... It's going to be a long time before they go digital.
I'm located in the Eau Claire area. You should be able to get ABC wxow, CBS wkbt, PBS whla and NBC from either WEAU in Eau Claire or KTTC in Rochester.
WEAU is broadcasting temporarily at 500 kW and KTTC is broadcasting temporarily at 324 kW where WKBT is broadcasting at only 9.13 kW. Anyway I wouldn't count on FOX for a long time yet.... Hope this helps....

jimboeau said:
elocs said:

elocs:

Just as an FYI, WLAX fox 17.1 is not live yet so you will not be able to get it. The last time I heard from them (about a month ago) they told me they don't even have the equipment yet...... It's going to be a long time before they go digital.
I'm located in the Eau Claire area. You should be able to get ABC wxow, CBS wkbt, PBS whla and NBC from either WEAU in Eau Claire or KTTC in Rochester.
WEAU is broadcasting temporarily at 500 kW and KTTC is broadcasting temporarily at 324 kW where WKBT is broadcasting at only 9.13 kW. Anyway I wouldn't count on FOX for a long time yet.... Hope this helps....

You are absolutely right. I assumed that since antennaweb.org had the Fox channel at 17.1 that it was there. So I called the station and they said "no" and that is why it is not mapped. I am going to have my antenna upgraded on Monday and it would be great if I could get WEAU in Eau Claire so I could have NBC. WEAU says their signal does reach into La Crosse, so it is possible. I just wonder what kind of antenna is needed. My problem is that WEAU and WKBT are in the opposite direction of all the other stations. I am wondering if the reason the installer could not get a lock on WEAU at all is because they are not showing HD during the day like the other channels? If the ota antenna fix is based upon watching the receiver and seeing if it is getting a signal for WEAU, then that would be difficult since they are not broadcasting HD during the day.
Is there another method the installer can use to know if the channel is coming in rather than reception on the receiver?

elocs said:
You are absolutely right. I assumed that since antennaweb.org had the Fox channel at 17.1 that it was there. So I called the station and they said "no" and that is why it is not mapped. I am going to have my antenna upgraded on Monday and it would be great if I could get WEAU in Eau Claire so I could have NBC. WEAU says their signal does reach into La Crosse, so it is possible. I just wonder what kind of antenna is needed. My problem is that WEAU and WKBT are in the opposite direction of all the other stations. I am wondering if the reason the installer could not get a lock on WEAU at all is because they are not showing HD during the day like the other channels? If the ota antenna fix is based upon watching the receiver and seeing if it is getting a signal for WEAU, then that would be difficult since they are not broadcasting HD during the day.
Is there another method the installer can use to know if the channel is coming in rather than reception on the receiver?

You might have to go to a two antenna setup or use a rotor.

Use one antenna pointed toward WKBT cbs since it is low power, and you should also be able to get ABC and PBS with that same antenna since they are so close and it won't matter so much which way it is pointed.
Then use a second antenna maybe a channel master 4248 or 4228 toward WEAU in Fairchild, WI. WEAU does broadcast digital all day from 5:00 am until midnight. You can use a Channel master Join-Tenna to splice the two antennas together so no rotor is needed. Here is a link to those two antennas and join-tenna. http://www.warrenelectronics.com/Antennas/antennas_acc.htm