Status
Please reply by conversation.

Magic Static

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 12, 2010
Montana
I made the leap a couple of days ago. I decided on my first smart phone. It's coming 2 day Fed-Ex, so three more days and I'll have it. How long after before "I've had it" we'll see. ;) I was thinking about doing a Windows phone, but then I remembered how much MS likes to do it their way and decide I needed to learn Android. After looking all my choices over, I decide the HTC One M9 was my best available unit for what I wanted to do. Now the learning curve begins :eek

Reactions: pdiddy
The problem with most smart phones is that you can't get root access without voiding the warranty. There are a few very useful apps that I'd like to run on my Android but can't since those apps require root access. Some non-root apps won't auto-start on reboot also (i.e. OpenVPN). Anyway, I'm trying to find ways to use my smartphone to assist with antenna alignment via IP. Gotta have the right firmware in the STB or PCI card software to do so. I'm not working on that right now since it's too freaking cold to mess with the antennas right now.

Nice phone, I think you will like it.

I have the HTC ONE M8, before that I had the HTC ONE M7, before that I had the HTC Sensation 3g. Do you see a pattern emerging here?

If it is anything like the M7 and M8 you will love it. I like having a FM tuner built in that uses the ear-bud cable as the antenna. Also the IR blaster is useful for using it as a remote for TV, DVR or even as a mouse and keyboard for a HT computer (also can do this wireless with software). I hope they have kept all the cool gadgets that these phones have allays had. And I must say, I am an IT Tech for 10 years and a former broadband tech for Time Warner and NEVER have rooted and Android phone I have owned. In my opinion I don't see a need to jailbreak something that is not in jail to start with.

Reactions: Magic Static
My daughter bought me a smart phone for Christmas and at first I hated it, but now that I'm used to it, it's great. The networking stuff I can do from it is amazing and apps for satellite calculations and electronic formulas, etc, are awesome.

Good choice on not going with MS! ;)

Reactions: BigRyan and KE4EST
My daughter bought me a smart phone for Christmas and at first I hated it, but now that I'm used to it, it's great. The networking stuff I can do from it is amazing and apps for satellite calculations and electronic formulas, etc, are awesome.

Good choice on not going with MS! ;)
Yeah, no one wants a blue screen of death wile taking an important phone call.

Reactions: . Raine
The problem with most smart phones is that you can't get root access without voiding the warranty. There are a few very useful apps that I'd like to run on my Android but can't since those apps require root access. Some non-root apps won't auto-start on reboot also (i.e. OpenVPN). Anyway, I'm trying to find ways to use my smartphone to assist with antenna alignment via IP. Gotta have the right firmware in the STB or PCI card software to do so. I'm not working on that right now since it's too freaking cold to mess with the antennas right now.
Which is why I buy unlocked phones off of Ebay. A year or so ago I purchased an LG Optimus F6, brand new and unlocked, for $95. For $95 who worries about voiding the warranty. Root it and put what you like on it minus all the bloat. The phone works like a champ.

Reactions: KE4EST
Which is why I buy unlocked phones off of Ebay. A year or so ago I purchased an LG Optimus F6, brand new and unlocked, for $95. For $95 who worries about voiding the warranty. Root it and put what you like on it minus all the bloat. The phone works like a champ.
Same here plus you are not stuck to a 2 year contract.

Wow! this thing is just like a new computer. First thing you have to do is mass updates. Working on the 2nd update install. 1.5g of updates so far. One of the things I wanted to put on the phone is a good satellite location app. I went into the Google store and there are dozens of them??? which one do you use? Any other apps you might recommend?

I got a fair deal from Verizon on the phone. No contract, No upgrade fee or any other fee, $100 off, 24mo no interest payment plan. ETF is payoff the phone.

I use DishPointer.

Before you put too much effort into the phone or buy any apps, check the accuracy of the compass and position sensor against quality known devices (i.e. compass and digital angle finder).

The forums have many stories about models not providing accurate aiming due to the build. We upgraded my wife's HTC a few years back and the compass was about 10 degrees out. The replacement was accurate.

Reactions: Magic Static
I think I'm in love :) The compass is right on the "G A" and this phone is now the most sensitive and accurate digital inclinometer I've ever seen. Finding things I couldn't even imagine to do with this phone. LOL Talk about a 'Swiss Army Knife" oh that's an app too ;)

I also prefer dish pointer. It costs more but works really well and you can move it phone to phone in the future without having to pay again.

I think I found my first "locked door" on this phone. It appears you can't download and install apps in the wild. They have to come thru the Google Store. Fortunately every app I wanted was in the store too. I tried several times to install the satguys reader from the site, but it wouldn't happen though I got no error indications. So I looked it up in the store and it installed as it should.

The problem with most smart phones is that you can't get root access without voiding the warranty.
Perhaps the device or app isn't right for you if it needs root access.

Such apps or devices aren't readily available in the iOS universe.

Perhaps the only thing we can surmise about Windows-based phones is that their mail client won't be able to handle POP3.

With both iOS and Windows phones, we can be sure that if something isn't available or doesn't work it is because Apple or Microsoft is philosophically opposed to supporting it.

Perhaps the device or app isn't right for you if it needs root access.

Such apps or devices aren't readily available in the iOS universe.

Perhaps the only thing we can surmise about Windows-based phones is that their mail client won't be able to handle POP3.

With both iOS and Windows phones, we can be sure that if something isn't available or doesn't work it is because Apple or Microsoft is philosophically opposed to supporting it.

Mine's an Android phone. And anyone that knows anything about electronic devices, root access is a MUST-HAVE if you want to operate the device to it's full potential. root access can get you in "trouble" if you don't know what you are doing, though. One of the things I can't do is use my smartphone to do udp port scans on my network since the port scanner requires root access to do so. Another issue is that I have to use TAP with OpenVPN because TUN requires root access. Also, OpenVPN won't auto-start at boot time or after a reboot like it would do on a PC - there's custom firmware to address these issues but, you guessed it, you need root access. Shall I go on? BTW, people have been known to root iOS devices so that they can do real customizations on their phone.

I think I found my first "locked door" on this phone. It appears you can't download and install apps in the wild. They have to come thru the Google Store. Fortunately every app I wanted was in the store too. I tried several times to install the satguys reader from the site, but it wouldn't happen though I got no error indications. So I looked it up in the store and it installed as it should.

You should be able to d/l the software to your PC and then transfer it to your phone and then install it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)