New TV Advice

bought a sony 85 inch X900H for the bedroom. highly recomended it's the closest thing to an OLED you'll get. there's no banding bleeding and so on. and if your a steamer the android OS is the closet thing to an nvida shield you'll get.. have no complaints with the set. it upscales low res images very well to.
Two years ago I bought a 65 inch Sony X950G for my family room, which is 15' x 23' and I thought it looked to big. I can't imaging an 85 incher!

Wish I'd waited for the 900H though. The 950G is not Nextgen TV / ATSC 3.0 capable according to Sony's website. I have a great OTA antenna which picks up Sacramento and the SF Bay area (100 miles away).

The OTA antenna goes to my old TiVo series 3 which is about 15 years old.

What I need is a Nextgen / ATSC 3.0 TiVo, and then my TV wouldn't matter. But they don't make such a TiVo.

Silicon Dust's HD HomeRun does make an HD Homerun Scribe 4K DVR, but it got bad reviews and doesn't connect via HDMI. It's ethernet only, and I read that the DVR isn't any good.

So what to do for an ATSC 3.0 DVR?

I’m not sure TiVo will ever make an ATSC3 box under their own name.

I’m now figuring 5+ years before I buy an ATSC3 OTA DVR. Not much need for such a tuner in my TV or Hopper.

Just bought the 85” Sony X95J, the picture is so much better then my TCLs (a mix of Series 6, 7 and 8) but my wife hates Google TV, so I have put the 7 Series back in the Living Room.

Just tried the Netflix mode, it really made a difference, a really good difference.
i love the android platform vs the roku. android on my x900h is the closet thing to the nvida shield. i felt like the roku system was always broken with all the buffering it did and crashing..

I’m not sure TiVo will ever make an ATSC3 box under their own name.

I’m now figuring 5+ years before I buy an ATSC3 OTA DVR. Not much need for such a tuner in my TV or Hopper.
i know there not sending anymore firmware updates to there cable boxes.. i asked about about a 4k tivo and they said that they have no plans for one and they also have no plans for an ip based cable tivo version box either. though time will tell!!! if i am right they went bankrupt but they were bought out by someone...

Reactions: navychop
Two years ago I bought a 65 inch Sony X950G for my family room, which is 15' x 23' and I thought it looked to big. I can't imaging an 85 incher!

Wish I'd waited for the 900H though. The 950G is not Nextgen TV / ATSC 3.0 capable according to Sony's website. I have a great OTA antenna which picks up Sacramento and the SF Bay area (100 miles away).

The OTA antenna goes to my old TiVo series 3 which is about 15 years old.

What I need is a Nextgen / ATSC 3.0 TiVo, and then my TV wouldn't matter. But they don't make such a TiVo.

Silicon Dust's HD HomeRun does make an HD Homerun Scribe 4K DVR, but it got bad reviews and doesn't connect via HDMI. It's ethernet only, and I read that the DVR isn't any good.

So what to do for an ATSC 3.0 DVR?
I have always bought sony sets and i have always been pleased with em.. I love my 900H it looks as good as there OLED sets!!! the 900H is astc 3.0 ready the 950 is not why i dunno.. i doubt tivo will make a 4k tivo box for 4k let alone an ip based cable tivo version. if i remember right they went bankrupt a while back though they were bought out by someone.. time will tell... I just bought a sony OLED set can't wait to get it:);).. do you have the locals in 4k where you are??? the 900H is an amazing set even without calibrating it!!! i still have my old trinitrons from the 90's a 36 and 32 inch still in working order.. when i do move i am considering having my own set built using sony OLED panels..

... do you have the locals in 4k where you are??? ...
Yes, in July 6 out of 7 of the major local broadcasters started broadcasting NextGen TV. Not sure if they are 4K or 2K?

I just found out a few days ago. Was really disappointed when I learned that my Sony 65" can't get the channels.

Does anyone here know if its a hardware or software limitation?

Yes, in July 6 out of 7 of the major local broadcasters started broadcasting NextGen TV. Not sure if they are 4K or 2K?

I just found out a few days ago. Was really disappointed when I learned that my Sony 65" can't get the channels.

Call sony. I would bet it's a hardware limitation

i love the android platform vs the roku. android on my x900h is the closet thing to the nvida shield. i felt like the roku system was always broken with all the buffering it did and crashing..
Agreed. Other than Gaming, I use the x900h for all my apps that I used on the shield. The Sheild shows a faster download speed, but the Sony has much better audio, too close to call on video

Reactions: TRG and John2021

Which of the half dozen or so different 65" Sony TV models do you have?

Oh and personally I don't think there's that much difference between the x1 processor vs the ultimate version. Looked at em side by side and there was barley any difference. Not worth the price bump in my book

there is no astc 3.0 tuner in the X950H. if you want astc 3.0 you would need to buy a converter if there out yet or a new set. a software update won't enable astc on this set because there's no astc 3.0. i dunno why they did that!!!

Which of the half dozen or so different 65" Sony TV models do you have?

I think ha has the 950h model. No astc 3.0 vs the 900h.
I have the Sony XBR-65X950G. Its about 2 years old. The 'H' models are newer (which is probably why they support ATSC 3.0 and mine doesn't).

Reactions: John2021
Because the demand for such is vanishingly small?

I’ll bet the majority of folks in this country have no clue about ATSC 3.
Here is a link to an ATSC 3.0 receiver/adapter: ZapperBox

Its expensive and not yet available. It's limited to the "ROUTE/DASH" protocol. They say they will add "MMT" protocol later.

I don't know which protocol Sacramento uses?

I asked the company that makes ZapperBox. Let's see if they respond.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)