New tv ideas

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Ok, so Im moving, and we will be living with the in laws for a month or two. Im debating whether to deal with transporting the 2008 Panny plasma or just selling it here.

I'm looking at spending around $3k if I do buy another so here are my options:

Panny 54" or 58" V10
Amazon.com: Panasonic TCP54V10 54 inch Viera Full HD 1080p Plasma HDTV: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4148V5h4OIL.@@AMEPARAM@@4148V5h4OIL

Sammy 55" LED
Amazon.com: Samsung UN55B8000 55-Inch 1080p 240 Hz LED HDTV:?@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31lQpUd7JiL.@@AMEPARAM@@31lQpUd7JiL

Sony XBR9 (really cheap, is there a new model coming?)
Amazon.com: Sony BRAVIA XBR Series KDL-52XBR9 52-Inch 1080p 240 Hz LCD HDTV, Black: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51VI5ZkQfVL.@@AMEPARAM@@51VI5ZkQfVL

I think either are a big step up from what I have now, and I like the LED, but still hesitant on LCD's.

Opinions welcome, spend my money!

TIA

Man, Gregg is kicken me towards the V10.

Ya know, you guys suck at TV recommendations :)

My standard right now would be black level, and ease of access of menu settings.

Really tough questions.

First, the resale value is not a good story for any TV. You won't get that money you spent for the calibration back unless you can find someone who appreciates what was done there. Personally, I'd sell if you can find the right buyer who will pay a premium for the calibration. If not, I'd move it.

Second, how much other stuff are you moving? If the set is part of a large bunch of furniture, it probably makes sense. If you are selling everything else and starting over then it probably doesn't make sense to move it. Sorry, vague answer, but its kind of a fuzzy decision.

You probably need to add the cost of a new cal to either decision, as I suspect that the Panny would need a re-cal after moving.

A lot of the decisions are going to be dependent on the room you end up with. Ambient light, max size, etc. You might just find that home theater space, and decide to go FP.

As for models, they change so often that it is tough to plan ahead. I haven't even seen the XBR10 yet, but I am looking forward to it. The Samsungs probably have about 6 months before the next gen, and the Pannys are about due.

To be honest, I like the picture quality of all three of the current models and don't think you can go wrong. I have a slight bias against the Sonys because of premium pricing and quality control issues on a couple of units I have owned. Nice sets, but not sure they are that much nicer.

It's fun to plan though, and it will help keep you sane while you deal with living with family. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Thanks Jay.

Im with Teachsac and you in liking the new LED's, so I guess the next debate is whether to take the 55" LED or 58" Plasma? I guess that size diff is moot...

Guess I need to go lurk at AVS and do some reading on the 8000. I have owned a plasma HDTV for much of my high def life, so I guess i'm acting like a scared kid when it comes to changing tech's :D

I am not too worried about getting my money back for the TV. It still has 2 years on the in home and the ISF calibration, so it'll be fair if I list it over at AVS and here. Prob wont ebay at first. The new tv purchase is really a present to myself, for my new job :)

Should I buy on Black Friday or in Dec/Jan? Basically, we wont move in to a new home until Feb 1.

Thanks guys.

Another thing to consider is calibration abilities. The panny plasmas have no gamma adjustment. I know the sammy lcd's allow you to adjust tons of stuff. I'd assume this means more accurate pic, just less black level. Though, I gotta think the LED's have pretty good blacks.

Well did some reading, and checked the cnet reviews, and I think the V10 58" is my set. Looks like they fixed a couple of issues I have with the 50" 85u I have, and this current gen actually handles 1080p/24 properly.

V10 has the THX mode, but also has better adjustments for a calibrator like Gregg to tweak with.

Next question is, what should I ask for my 85u?

The physical condition is mint of course, it still has 2.5 yrs on the Panasonic in home warranty, and has been ISF calibrated once, and touched up once.

$1000-$750?

Thanks

I always leave out Sammy plasmas, but the 860 looks like a great model too. More color accuracy, little less black.

Which would be most important in choosing a HDTV? I'd assume the color accuracy, because blacks on all premium tv's are pretty good now.

Should I buy on Black Friday or in Dec/Jan? Basically, we wont move in to a new home until Feb 1.

In my experience, prices go way down just before the new model is announced. If you want the latest and greatest, then looking for the lowest price will end up disappointing you. However, buying too early in the cycle can cause problems if they do production changes to fix problems. For that reason, I would generally avoid the first month of production, longer if people start reporting issues.

I wouldn't even look seriously until you knew the house you were moving into. New set might not fit, or you might find that something larger would. You say you are moving in Feb. Are you buying an existing house or having one built? Do you know what house you are moving into yet?

Next question is, what should I ask for my 85u?

The physical condition is mint of course, it still has 2.5 yrs on the Panasonic in home warranty, and has been ISF calibrated once, and touched up once.

$1000-$750?

Don't think it is going to go that high, but it doesn't hurt to ask. The bigger issue is in finding the right buyer. Do you have a friend, neighbor or co-worker who lusts after that set? That's generally the best bet, especially if you offer to help him set it up in his space.

The AVS route is better than e-bay/craigslist, but it is a 2 model-year old set. The ISF should count for a couple of hundred. Does Gregg's ISF warrantee transfer?

Current Amazon price on a new 50" 85U is $1189. Further, they list a 50G15 for $760 new.

In my experience, prices go way down just before the new model is announced. If you want the latest and greatest, then looking for the lowest price will end up disappointing you. However, buying too early in the cycle can cause problems if they do production changes to fix problems. For that reason, I would generally avoid the first month of production, longer if people start reporting issues.

I wouldn't even look seriously until you knew the house you were moving into. New set might not fit, or you might find that something larger would. You say you are moving in Feb. Are you buying an existing house or having one built? Do you know what house you are moving into yet?

Don't think it is going to go that high, but it doesn't hurt to ask. The bigger issue is in finding the right buyer. Do you have a friend, neighbor or co-worker who lusts after that set? That's generally the best bet, especially if you offer to help him set it up in his space.

The AVS route is better than e-bay/craigslist, but it is a 2 model-year old set. The ISF should count for a couple of hundred. Does Gregg's ISF warrantee transfer?

Current Amazon price on a new 50" 85U is $1189. Further, they list a 50G15 for $760 new.

I bought this 85u the week it was released, then figured out 6 month's later I shoulda waited for price and other tv options (better units like the 800).

Buying at the end of the cycle this time, intentionally.

We are moving in early Dec, will be living with in laws for 1.5 mo's, and prob be moving into a rental home Feb 1st (that will be the plan, the wife will start looking for a job and a house in Jan while I am working).

I know I'd like a 58" plasma, so I'll prob go ahead and buy Black Friday/Dec/Jan timeframe. I'll prob get as good a deal in Jan as on B Friday.

Not sure on Gregg's warranty... I think I'll ask $750 for it, and if it does not get any looks, I'll just give it to my dad.

Another option is, instead of buying gifts this year we are gonna sponsor a family in need and get them gifts. Would needy family enjoy a 50" plasma? (I'm actually serious) as opposed to other gifts?

Well, the V10 does Amazon VOD which is cool; forgot about that.

So I'm really down to the 58" plasmas, and whether color accuracy is better than black levels (on a tv that will be isf calibrated).

After Jay mentioned the Sony. The XBR9 got me looking and it is actually a very good tv. It has good blacks, and not some of the issues the LED's are showing. XBR10 will be out of my range, but the 9 is $2100 right now at best buy. damn good price.

You may find the Pioneer KRP-600M for around $3000. That is if you can find one.

Yeah, this is a nice one, but have not seen it. The 50" is easily found and cheap, but I really wanna increase size.

After more reading, the V10 58" plasma is prob the best choice. It's bigger, has great blacks, great off angle viewing, a 24p mode (96hz) that actually works (the 800U last year did not fare so hot in this area).

The Samsung 8500 LED are nice, but out of my range. Im hesitant anyways, because CNET noted that even moving one cushion over on the couch affected the blacks and PQ. These LED tv's are damn fine if you can hit them head on.

XBR9 in 52" is pretty good, but once again you have the same LCD issues.

Until LED can sort out the angle issues, Plasma will still have life.

The Samsung 860 58" plasma is a nice set but does not have the Panny blacks (color is more accurate though). Real drawback here, is when it is in its 96hz 24p mode, the brightness is effected and it lightens up. Thats a deal killer, along with the Samsung buzz worries.

I think I may just sit this gen out and wait another 8-9 months and see whats coming. My tv is ISF calibrated and has 2.5 more years on the in home, so no worries :)

XBR10 is just another over priced stopgap, but hopefully sony will get some mojo back with the 11.