New TV Needed

Will62

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Missouri
I am going to look for another TV to add to my existing LG 43 inch that is about three years old. The LG has a good OTA tuner and program guide that looks ahead several hours.

Does anyone know if the newer 40 inch to 43 inch Samsung or Vizeo models have a good OTA tuner and program guide for OTA stations that will show a few hours of shows in advance? Not sure I can get a new LG for under $400 and I don't want to spend that much on a second TV for the bedroom.

It's outside of your budget but I'm looking at the Sony Bravia 43X85J for myself. It has the program guide look ahead you desire plus more (7 days typical). Additionally it has a built in ATSC 3.0 tuner. That will eliminate the need for an external tuner and it's associated costs in the future. I know this doesn't answer your question directly but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Reactions: N5XZS and TheKrell
I am going to look for another TV to add to my existing LG 43 inch that is about three years old. The LG has a good OTA tuner and program guide that looks ahead several hours.

Not sure I can get a new LG for under $400 and I don't want to spend that much on a second TV for the bedroom.

$379.99

$399.99

:)

It's outside of your budget but I'm looking at the Sony Bravia 43X85J for myself. It has the program guide look ahead you desire plus more (7 days typical). Additionally it has a built in ATSC 3.0 tuner. That will eliminate the need for an external tuner and it's associated costs in the future. I know this doesn't answer your question directly but I thought I'd throw it out there.

TRG. Will take a look at it. Picking up some OT at work may permit me to budget more for such a TV. I had a Bravia in 2010 for a few years and it was a fine TV for OTA viewing. Better than the comparable Samsung model I had.

I just purchased this Sony that you mentioned. Nice picture. But I can't find how you obtain ATSC 3.0 signals with it. Not sure if the Firmware download I just did after starting the TV will solve the issue. Sadly, the Program Guide is internet only driven and not capable of using the OTA signals to receive program data. Debating about whether to keep it or return it. If I can't get the ATSC 3.0 to function I will definitely return it.

Walmart has a 43” LG for $358.
Model 43UN6955ZUF
Thanks TG. Note the post above. If I return the Sony I will plan to buy this model. I know the LG has an OTA Program Guide that is fed by the TV signals without the need for the internet.

Thanks TG. Note the post above. If I return the Sony I will plan to buy this model. I know the LG has an OTA Program Guide that is fed by the TV signals without the need for the internet.
Finally found out how you determine if a signal is ATSC 3.0 with the Sony. It's listed in the Signal Diagnostics for each channel when you view the information for that signal. Stations broadcasting in 3.0 are listed as such.

Reactions: TheKrell and FTA4PA
Now that I've had a chance to use this for a few days, I've noted some quirks with this Sony that are disappointing. Trying to find and use different functions are troublesome. Not intuitive at all compared to my current LG model. And the internet driven Program Guide is not reliable since many channels will not populate the schedule on the TV with their programs. With the LG and the OTA Program Guide that is piggybacked on the HDTV signals, every channel has program information and the schedule for hours in advance.

Still debating whether to keep it or return it for an LG. The picture is excellent and the ATSC 3.0 seems to work fine but the other issues make using the TV a less than enjoyable experience.

• Sad
Reactions: FTA4PA
On the X85J, hit the Settings button, scroll far right and select Edit then select which settings you prefer on the popup settings bar at the bottom of the screen as shortcuts. I compared the LG with the Sony prior to purchase and you can change to that if you want but I don't think you'll be happy. Just my $.02. :)

In case you have a soundbar and it doesn't work right, like won't turn on automatically when you turn on the TV, don't use the fiber optic cable. Either use an RCA mini/aux cable (plugs into the headphones jack) or an HDMI cable plugged into HDMI 3 (eARC). That solves the problem. Love my 65X85J, wouldn't swap for anything including an X90J. ;)

Sony's have always had their quirks,weirdness and WTF's.You buy Sony's for the quality,picture and otherwise,you learn to live with the oddities.
My 1986 Trinitron still sits next to my 10+ year old Bravia and they both work fine.Though the 86 is unplugged now cause I got tired of trying to aim the remote in just the right spot to turn on/off the one I wanted and not the other.:biggrin

Reactions: John2021
Yeah, my 13 year old 46" Bravia had a picture setting called "Full Pixel" which was the actual full HD picture but for reasons that defy understanding you could not make it the default setting so every time you turned on the TV you had to reset it. Not a great deal of difference but enough to notice.

I've noted another issue. Not sure if this is related to the tuner but likely is since it is not an issue with the LG I still own. When channel surfing I've noted that some channels will go blank and stay blank at times. Example: A few minutes ago I channel surfed from 7.3 to 9.1 and it was blank. No issue with the signal either. Local and strong. Waited a minute and still no picture. Went to 9.2 and suddenly the picture was back. Then moved back to 9.1 and it was there again. Have not seen this happen before except when receiving deep fringe signals during multipath episodes or when skip is present.

Have also noted you can't easily add channels especially manually like you can with the LG. Since I like to DX this is a major problem. And the Scan to Add channels function is weird since you can't automatically facilitate a scan unless the tuner thinks there is a new channel to be found. With atmospheric conditions constantly changing this is a hassle when DX is available.

Very disappointed. The tuner is just as good for OTA as the LG but the other issues are now making evident this is probably not the TV for me.

Sony's have always had their quirks,weirdness and WTF's.You buy Sony's for the quality,picture and otherwise,you learn to live with the oddities.
My 1986 Trinitron still sits next to my 10+ year old Bravia and they both work fine.Though the 86 is unplugged now cause I got tired of trying to aim the remote in just the right spot to turn on/off the one I wanted and not the other.:biggrin
The menus in the new ones are something else that one could get lost in them :coco:biggrin

Noted two more issues that are with the Tuner. I am seeing some Herky Jerky motion at times with some of the video on some channels. Not sure if this is a 3.0 problem. And just a few minutes ago when hitting the channel button to change channels I noted that while moving forward with the channels, despite the fact I did not hit the back button for channel surfing, it stopped and moved backwards to the previous channel which coincidentally is one of the channels that has gone blank more than once while tuning it.

It is obvious this is a defective TV and I will have to return it.

When channel surfing I've noted that some channels will go blank and stay blank at times.
Are those channels owned/run by Sinclair? Because they still haven't recovered from the ransomware attack, and this is happening to ALL their stations at times. We have THREE local stations run by them, and it's a MESS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts