New TV Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

godivajan

Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Good evening all. I have a couple of questions regarding my new (picking it up tomorrow) Samsung HL-R5067W. D** is coming out on Saturday to upgrade me to the HD DVR. The other main components are my Yamaha RX480 AV receiver, Paradigm speakers, Sony DVD player, PS2. What cables, if any, should I buy and is there a source I can turn to that will guide me through the best way to hook everything up? How much will the D** installer regarding the reception, hook up, etc. Also getting an OTA. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I've been saving for this TV and can't wait. My fiance, (yes, I'm the girl!) is happy if he pushes a button and gets a picture.

Have a nice evening all.

Jan
:eek:

If I were you, I'd wait until I had all the equipment open in the room and the D* HDTV DVR hooked up. Most of those items come with some cables. Most of those cables are adequate to get you started. You can spend a lot of money on cables w/o gaining much, so proceed slowly w/ cable buying. For most A/V cables, the upscale Philips stuff at Walmart is fine.

Don't expect the installer to do anything except hook your HD DVR up to your Sammy. Read the manuals for your Sammy, DVR, and A/V receiver. They are usually graphic enough to allow you to hook up the rest of your cables.

Enjoy your Sammy, you are in for a thrill. Hope you like football though. Other than American Idol and Leno, the most dazzling HD is NFL football (particularly Fox and ESPN-HD. CSI and the like won't knock your socks off w/ their HD. Oh, and too bad you are too late to watch US Open tennis in HD, it was spectacular. However, the winter Olympics are just 5 months away.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

I do not know if an hdmi cable comes with the Hd tivo... but you will need one of those. And if your Yamaha has component in and out(and if a set comes with the tivo) you will need at least one component and one Audio cable... to hook your Sony up... not sure on the Ps2 .

Probably like CarlB. says wait and see what you get... UHD is replaying Some Tennis Early in the mornings(replacing the 04 olympics) If you get OTA CBS... and they do not starve their bandwidth CSI and NCIS will knock your socks off... (I get it from E* hd)hopefully D* will open up some bandwidth for the HD channels ( I have D*HD also so I can compare)

You guys are great!

I want to say a hearty Thanks to all of you. I've learned a lot since joining and it wasn't until I read it here that I found out about the retention dept at D**. Got my deal for $199 and they threw in the OTA. (Girls can pout)! Anyway, I'll wait until all is hooked up and see what it all looks like. I am most definately a football fan and that's the main reason I went with D**. I had been going through Giants withdrawal since moving to Orlando. See? All of us girls ain't so bad. Some of us love sports and all things techie :D

godivajan said:
Good evening all. I have a couple of questions regarding my new (picking it up tomorrow) Samsung HL-R5067W. D** is coming out on Saturday to upgrade me to the HD DVR. The other main components are my Yamaha RX480 AV receiver, Paradigm speakers, Sony DVD player, PS2. What cables, if any, should I buy and is there a source I can turn to that will guide me through the best way to hook everything up? How much will the D** installer regarding the reception, hook up, etc. Also getting an OTA. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I've been saving for this TV and can't wait. My fiance, (yes, I'm the girl!) is happy if he pushes a button and gets a picture.

Have a nice evening all.

Jan
:eek:
You can got to D's website and download the manual. It will give you hookup sugestions as well as list what cables are in the box. http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/System_Manuals/DIRECTV/DIRECTV_HR10-250.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)