New Upgrade Prices for Hopper w/ Sling

If it makes you feel better I paid $100 for A HwS (Back in Feb.) and another $200 for my other owned HwS. Don't even want to tell you how much the other two H2ks costed back at launch over a year ago.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Are the people who have gotten HWS upgrades for two receivers for sure grandfathered on the $7 second Hopper fee? I've contacted DIRT and I can get both of mine upgraded at no cost but was told I'd lose the grandfathering and would incur the $12 new fee.

Confused here.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys

Seems to be conflicting information... So far most everyone is saying they keep grandfathered status. I guess nobody will know for sure until their next bill. Glad I got my setup the way I wanted it before the new fees kicked in...

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

I was also told I would keep the same price. Csr online said if I'm swapping for the hopper with sling then id stay at 7.00. It's only if I Added a 3rd hopper.

I contacted Dirt also. No cost for hopper w/ sling but must sign new 2 yr contract. I specifically asked about any new hopper fees and was told my bill would not increase.

I just wanted to update that I winded up calling CSR directly and was first quoted $100 for HWS, when I said, No it should be free, they transferred me to another rep, and he was very nice. Gave me free HWS, free shipping, no install needed and threw in 3 mo of Showtime/Cinemax/Epix. Easy. Thanks to everyone on the board for all the great info!

Starting July 11th Plan A customers will be able to upgrade to the Hopper with Sling for FREE! There will still be a technician visit fee but the Upgrade fee did drop $100. The regular Hopper is still free for Plan A customers but the the fee dropped to $50 for Plan B customers. This is great news for those of you wanted to upgrade to the new Hopper system.

I'm sure many will ask how you find out what plan you are or how you become a Plan A customer. There really is no way for any of us to find out, Dish uses a certain type of formula. One of the most important things is to have your account in good standing. Make sure you have not missed any payments and that you have not upgraded recently.

OK, someone else posted a while ago that frequent upgrades, even somewhat "recent" (a relative term) works in ones favor to being "A." No question account in good standing and no disputes are biggies, but I still think the higher the level of package and higher the monthly bill (a fair amount of regular purchases VOD's or PPV's can bump up the bill nicely) is a key factor, and I say this from personal experience. And I NEVER buy VOD's or PPV's, it's just my obscene monthly bill for monthly services.

OK, someone else posted a while ago that frequent upgrades, even somewhat "recent" (a relative term) works in ones favor to being "A." No question account in good standing and no disputes are biggies, but I still think the higher the level of package and higher the monthly bill (a fair amount of regular purchases VOD's or PPV's can bump up the bill nicely) is a key factor, and I say this from personal experience. And I NEVER buy VOD's or PPV's, it's just my obscene monthly bill for monthly services.

So if I pay my bill on with autopay, have the top 200 and order ppv and or a lot of video on demand will dish look at my account and say okay he's a good customer and I'm an "A" status customer? I just renewed for 2 more years and they gave me 2 HWS's free and 6 months of movie channels. Does that mean anything?

i don't know where else to post this and don't want to create a thread about something not that important. i got that OTA adapter yesterday for the hopper and once again I AM IMPRESSED! same exact setup i had with directv's AM21 where at best i got signals in the 70's. not only are my signals in the 90's with this adapter but it found 10 more channels that the AM21 couldn't. perfect size unlike the unnecessary size of the AM21 where the guts are so small it makes no sense to have the unit so large. i can't say enough on how happy i am with my new toys!

Last edited:
So if I pay my bill on with autopay, have the top 200 and order ppv and or a lot of video on demand will dish look at my account and say okay he's a good customer and I'm an "A" status customer? I just renewed for 2 more years and they gave me 2 HWS's free and 6 months of movie channels. Does that mean anything?

I don't think anyone here can honestly tell you the correct answer, not even DIRT. Dish has some kind of formula in place that calculates what plan a customer is. They take a little bit of everything you said into consideration.

So if I have 2 hoppers but only swapping out one of them. Do I need to turn off the 2nd one when swapping out the first? Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

You should be able to activate it with it on. I know if you're swapping out both for the sling then it's best to activate one at a time otherwise it slows the download speed way down.

So if I have 2 hoppers but only swapping out one of them. Do I need to turn off the 2nd one when swapping out the first?

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys
You will be asked for the R# of the Hopper you want to replace/deactivate.

Well everything went smooth as a baby's butt.

Just wondering, did the people that had the receivers shipped directly to them for the swap. Are you guys returning your old remote with the old receiver? I have an 11 year old that sure is hard on remotes. It sure would be nice to have an extra laying around.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)