New Upgrade Prices for Hopper w/ Sling

Symbol

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 24, 2009
Puerto Rico
So if I wasn't grandfathered in I would be paying an extra $11/month? Wow! Kind of strange that my first Hopper 2000 is free right now and then $7 for the other Hopper 2000 and two Joeys. I guess I won't complain too much. I'm getting two HWS for free ($15 shipping).

No, you would be paying $5 more a month. Remember dish gives you the first hopper free (no $7 charge) the second one used to be $7 but it increased to $12 recently. So its a $5 monthly increase to those who added the second hopper after 5/22

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

huskerhead

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 12, 2003
Urbandale, Iowa
No, you would be paying $5 more a month. Remember dish gives you the first hopper free (no $7 charge) the second one used to be $7 but it increased to $12 recently. So its a $5 monthly increase to those who added the second hopper after 5/22

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

That's what I thought but she kept telling me I'm paying $7/mo for all four receivers. DIRT can you chime in. :)

3HaloODST

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 2, 2010
Earth
If you are swapping both Hoppers with HwSs then there is a chance that you'll keep the grandfathered pricing.

Grandfathered status :-

$10 for first Hopper, $7 for each additional Hopper or Joey added.

New pricing :-

$12 per Hopper, $7 per Joey.

If you add an additional Hopper while grandfathered, first Hopper remains at $10 but your additional Hopper will be $12. So far it seems if you are swapping a Hopper 2000 with a Hopper w/Sling then grandfather status might not be affected.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

sparc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 24, 2006
That's what I thought but she kept telling me I'm paying $7/mo for all four receivers. DIRT can you chime in. :)
private message them directly so they can look up your specific account. They don't discuss people's accounts over the open forum.

DWS44

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2004
Rock Hill, SC
I know this might have been asked in the past or before but not going to dig through pages of threads but beside the Sling those who gone from the regular Hooper to HWS have you really notice any difference?

You're still chewing on whether to make the move too, huh? All this talk of the speed difference in tempting.

raygil2

SatelliteGuys Family
there coming MON. too switch out hopper with hopper with sling , just had hopper upgrade JUN.15 there doing it all for free no charges an when they put in hopper in june they sent me the wifi adater for free they said too keep it too .dish is the best

satjay

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 30, 2005
Michigan
So should I renew my contract and get the hws?? If it's faster then it's worth it.

I would make sure your overall happy with Dish and you don't foresee yourself moving on, unless you don't mind paying the contract fees if you leave early

I am upgrading one of my Hoppers to HWS. Having the Hi-fi is a nice touch for me. Will be interesting to see this speed that it has. I have no issues with the speed with my current Hoppers

DWS44

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2004
Rock Hill, SC
Do it! Not just for the speed, but this one is futureproof for now. Faster processor + built in wifi + sling? Its obvious! :)

You're right! It should be a no brainer, but...

I would make sure your overall happy with Dish and you don't foresee yourself moving on, unless you don't mind paying the contract fees if you leave early

I am upgrading one of my Hoppers to HWS. Having the Hi-fi is a nice touch for me. Will be interesting to see this speed that it has. I have no issues with the speed with my current Hoppers

The contract extension is the hitch that has me hesitant right now. The speed of the original Hopper bugs me now and then, but overall I've been content with Dish and would have no plans to consider leaving...EXCEPT for the looming ESPN contract mess. Should ESPN disappear, my current contract/ETF from last year will be expensive enough to swallow...extending now would make it that much worse. :(

psychotrope

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 2, 2005
So I decided to take the plunge. Found a way to re-create my current setup using HWS instead of my current 922 and 722 setup. Much thanks to the DIRT Team, especially to Zach. And much thanks to Satellite Guys for giving us the opportunity to deal with knowledgeable people from Dish you can trust as well as knowledgeable users who know what they're talking about. This was much better than calling a CSR and hoping I can believe what they promise. My account must be in good status cause I got a great deal. Install set for tomorrow afternoon. Time to start backing up all recordings. I'm looking forward to some of the super-cool features of the HWS that I don't currently have with my DVRs. And amazingly, I will be paying $3/month less than I am now. I didn't realize how expensive it is to own a 922. This has been a very helpful thread to say the least.

satjay

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 30, 2005
Michigan
You're right! It should be a no brainer, but...

The contract extension is the hitch that has me hesitant right now. The speed of the original Hopper bugs me now and then, but overall I've been content with Dish and would have no plans to consider leaving...EXCEPT for the looming ESPN contract mess. Should ESPN disappear, my current contract/ETF from last year will be expensive enough to swallow...extending now would make it that much worse. :(

The ESPN/ABC issue does have many wondering, especially as September is not to far off

Skytrooper

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 5, 2012
Baden, Pa.
I see people saying Hopper With Sling is faster. Faster doing what? Mine works quite well, other than the bridging problem I am having. I have 2 Hoppers and 2 Joey's. ( My sons name is Joey, so I have 3 ) Seriously, also should I upgrade to 1 or 2 Hoppers? I had these Hoppers a year and a couple months. Will I be grandfathered in? What would it cost me if I got 1 or 2? Do I have to extend my contract? I think I am up high on their good customer list.

dishfan82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 18, 2012
clinton Township
Maybe I'll have them just swap out the hopper. Maybe mine is the issue. Maybe they need to fix something in the connection? With 4 months left in my contract when September rolls around I'd have to stick it out anyways if something happens with the Disney channels. So I'm not sure what I'm going to do?

satjay

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 30, 2005
Michigan
I see people saying Hopper With Sling is faster. Faster doing what? Mine works quite well, other than the bridging problem I am having. I have 2 Hoppers and 2 Joey's. ( My sons name is Joey, so I have 3 ) Seriously, also should I upgrade to 1 or 2 Hoppers? I had these Hoppers a year and a couple months. Will I be grandfathered in? What would it cost me if I got 1 or 2? Do I have to extend my contract? I think I am up high on their good customer list.

In regards to the cost for one or two HWS, contact Dirt they can review things, as far as extending contract. Yes it would be a new 24 month contract