New upgrade to HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jinister

Original poster
Nov 4, 2005
Sorry bout the newbie questions, but I finally got a HD TV and have purchased a 3 lnb oval satellite. I was wondering if and what other products I would need to complete this upgrade. Presently I have 3 tv's, I would like to be able to record up to 2 channels on tv w/tivo and HD viewing going to the other, 3rd tv doesnt matter................

For example a multiswitch and rg6 cables etc and recommendations. Was also thinking bout installing new dish myself any or all help would be greatly appreciated. :yes

The triple LNB dish provides 4 outputs that go directly to the receivers tuner(s) (the dish has a built in multiswitch), if you have 3 tvs total including the HD STB, and your DVR, you should have 2 connections from the dish to the DVR, and one to each of the other 2 tuners (one of them being the HD STB), you shouldn't need anything else, unless you need more than 4 outputs, in which case you'll need a cascadable multiswitch.

If you had an old round dish on these STBs before you got the 3lnb, you will have to rerun installation setup for each of those STBs and set them to use an Oval/3 LNB dish and not the Round.

Jinister said:
Sorry bout the newbie questions, but I finally got a HD TV and have purchased a 3 lnb oval satellite. I was wondering if and what other products I would need to complete this upgrade. Presently I have 3 tv's, I would like to be able to record up to 2 channels on tv w/tivo and HD viewing going to the other, 3rd tv doesnt matter................

For example a multiswitch and rg6 cables etc and recommendations. Was also thinking bout installing new dish myself any or all help would be greatly appreciated. :yes

Just so you know if your within the top 50 DMAs you within the next year will need to have your HD box and dish swapped out. DirecTV is rolling out locals in HDTV very very soon (a few markets have started to be upgraded) and this requires a new 5LNB dish plus a new MPEG4 HD box. If you bought an HD Tivo you will need to get that swapped out for the upcoming NDS HD DVR (release data scheduled for first quarter of 2006) or the Home Media Center (scheduled for summertime of 2006). If you haven't bought an HD box yet I would highly suggest waiting until the first quarter for the new HD DVR because they will be renting it without any upfront costs and this box will be ready for all the new HD locals, national HD channels and for next years Sunday Ticket HD games.

If you have any specific questions you can ask any of us and we can answer them for you. Just keep in mind a simple search could get you the results you need quicker than waiting for us to read and reply.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)