SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
kiped this from Waterloo, Iowa Courier:

Arkansas broadcaster hopes to get UPN on the air soon

By DAN HAUGEN, Courier Staff Writer

WATERLOO --- An Arkansas-based broadcasting company is in the process of purchasing local television station KWWF with plans to finally put UPN network programming on the air by early fall.

Doug Krile, spokesman for Equity Broadcasting Corp., said the sale is still pending approval from the Federal Communications Commission.

If everything goes as planned, he said, the company will be operating the station by Sept. 1, in time to air UPN's fall program schedule in its entirety.

"But we're coming up against that deadline pretty hard here," Krile said.

The sale could be official within the next couple of weeks, he added.

The station's present owner, Bill Smith of Buffalo, N.Y., did not return a phone call this week. Smith, owner of B & C Communications, has been trying to bring the network to the Cedar Valley since 1999 when the FCC approved his permit for broadcast in this area.

Numerous delays kept the station off the air. Smith originally planned to build a new tower in Cedar Rapids, but later worked with NBC affiliate KWWL to share space on their already existing tower.

The UPN channel, carried on UHF channel 22, finally came on air in early 2003, but without UPN programming. At that time the station was not carried on cable channels. Smith promised to get UPN programming on the air by spring of 2003, but once again the hope to see WWF Smackdown in the Cedar Valley failed.

Equity Broadcasting is also exploring options for improving the station's reach. Currently, KWWF's broadcast signal covers Waterloo, Cedar Falls and Black Hawk County, but does not extend to Cedar Rapids or Iowa City.

The company will look at asking FCC permission to strengthen the signal's power, or, more likely, add lower power translator towers near Cedar Rapids.

this station is on cable in Waterloo, but not the other cities listed. Given Equity's track record of having most (if not all) of their stations on G10, we might get a new UPN to add to the G10 family :D

Maybe thats one of the channels Tom has been hinting about, hope so, UPN is great for The Simpson's and Star Trek Voyager, in digital stereo!

could be.....like I say given Equity's track record, they'll probably put it up there :D

Good to know, thanks for the info.

I saw you deleted my post about the guy trying to flash the pansat. I have no problem with that. Please note that I do not condone theft either, I was just trying to bait him into saying what he really wanted before you guys did the clean up.

korsjs said:
I saw you deleted my post about the guy trying to flash the pansat. I have no problem with that. Please note that I do not condone theft either, I was just trying to bait him into saying what he really wanted before you guys did the clean up.

korsjs
I didn't delete it. Tom did. I edited a post (got rid of the flash program name) and finally closed the thread. I didn't see what you put (maybe that was a good thing)

If I edit a post, I will put notes in it :)

It was nothing bad. The guy asked something he shouldn't have been asking and I asked him what the purpose of the flash was. I was just trying to bait him to admit he was asking something illegal. I am not to worried about it being deleted. He is just doing his job and I have been around long enough for people to know I don't steal signals.

Keep up the good work on the FTA forums. I have learned alot and still working on getting mine to where I want it to be. Saving a little bit of cash each week.

Gee isn't that great, how many more UPN channels do we need? I will be chasing the news feeds, sometimes you can learn more from the reporters when they think they are not on the air. Seen any good police chases lately? My Satworks and Coship blind search receivers will be working overtime.
Just an old news junky

Tom
If those UPN networks (and WB and PAX) carry sports, add as many as they want!!!

News stuff is nice, but I personally like the sports backhauls (analog & digital)

found this new tidbit of info

KWWF/22 (Waterloo) is slated to begin carrying UPN programming on September 1, under its new owner, Equity Broadcasting. The station's lineup will also include Jerry Springer, Montel Williams, Judge Mathis, Andy Griffith, and other syndicated programming.

Iceberg said:
found this new tidbit of info

KWWF/22 (Waterloo) is slated to begin carrying UPN programming on September 1, under its new owner, Equity Broadcasting. The station's lineup will also include Jerry Springer, Montel Williams, Judge Mathis, Andy Griffith, and other syndicated programming.
Saw on another site that color bars were up.

Anyone want to rescan G10 ??

I see it at 11720/V/27718, just the color bars right now and KWWF in the list.

scanned it and got 4 new channels

a Telefutura
3 channels with color bars

hmmm...wonder what else is coming :D

I think I might have answered my question (maybe)

taken from www.northpine.com/broadcast

Equity Broadcasting is buying four low-power TV stations in Cedar Rapids from Tiger Eye Broadcasting. Equity owns KWWF/22 (Waterloo) and could use one or more of the Cedar Rapids stations to relay KWWF, which is slated to begin carrying UPN programming on September 1. The stations are KCDR-LP/55, KHHH-LP/57, KRUB-LP/65, and KCDE-LP/67; it does not appear any are currently on the air.

Iceberg said:
scanned it and got 4 new channels

a Telefutura
3 channels with color bars

hmmm...wonder what else is coming :D

Answered my own question

2 of the color bars channels are now a Univison & Telefutura
One is still color bars (registers as KWWF)

It looks like KWWF is up and running. Between 9-10pm tonight they are showing some boxing.

PSB said:
I see it at 11720/V/27718, just the color bars right now and KWWF in the list.
I am having to use Signal Rate 27,690. 27,718 won't work for me.
Do the blind search units come up with different signal rates sometimes that won't work when I have to enter it in my 330a?

TBI said:
I am having to use Signal Rate 27,690. 27,718 won't work for me.
Do the blind search units come up with different signal rates sometimes that won't work when I have to enter it in my 330a?

yep. Blind search receivers sometimes have different S/R

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)