New Voom channels still on Feb 1st? Will it require MPEG4 capable receiver to view?

seandudley

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
Loudon, Tennessee
Hi everyone,

I haven't been keeping a real close eye on these forums lately, and was wondering if someone could tell me if the additional Voom channels which are being added are still scheduled to show up on February 1st? Also, can I view them with my 942 and 811 receivers, or will an MPEG4 capable receiver be required to view them? My 942 and 811 are leased, so if an MPEG4 capable receiver is required, will Dish upgrade these receivers? If so, is there a cost associated with the upgrade?

Thanks!

Sean Dudley

Short answer on VOOM...at the moment you'll need a MPEG4 receiver to see them.

As for upgrade paths (or lack thereof), do some searching...tons of posts on the subject.

Yep, I called Dish Network and was told that to upgrade my 811 to a similar receiver capable of MPEG4 (the 211 I guess), that the upgrade cost is $49.00 on a leased receiver. I was also told that to upgrade my 942 to an equivilent HDTV DVR capable of MPEG 4 (the 622 I guess), the upgrade cost is $299.00. The CSR then told me that if I am willing to wait until April 1st that there will be an instant $200.00 rebate, so I can upgrade to the 622 for $99.00 at that time. I hope they don't say "April Fools!" when I call in on April 1st!

seandudley said:
The CSR then told me that if I am willing to wait until April 1st that there will be an instant $200.00 rebate, so I can upgrade to the 622 for $99.00 at that time. I hope they don't say "April Fools!" when I call in on April 1st!

I heard the rebate will be in the form of pay per view coupons totaling $200:D

seandudley said:
Yep, I called Dish Network and was told that to upgrade my 811 to a similar receiver capable of MPEG4 (the 211 I guess), that the upgrade cost is $49.00 on a leased receiver. I was also told that to upgrade my 942 to an equivilent HDTV DVR capable of MPEG 4 (the 622 I guess), the upgrade cost is $299.00. The CSR then told me that if I am willing to wait until April 1st that there will be an instant $200.00 rebate, so I can upgrade to the 622 for $99.00 at that time. I hope they don't say "April Fools!" when I call in on April 1st!

They probably won't say "April Fools" but I wouldn't be surprised if they tell you there's a waiting list for them, so it could be 2 months + whatever that wait is before you can start seeing the new HD channels.

seandudley said:

PLUS an 18 month commitment right???

trido

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts