New VOOM HD website coming soon...

riffjim4069 said:
I'm sure [hoping] this is temporary due to their shutting down VOOM DBS and retooling to become a programming only service.
I was thinking (hoping) that also.
Sean,
Any word from your VOOM21 contacts on this and/or the new website?

Not only is there no new content on Rush, they're not showing things they did in the before-time, things I liked and miss like Endless Summer, Hand of Fatima and Drive.

They were promoing last month that Hand of Fatima was gonna be shown, did it?...

Sean Mota said:
I completely agree with you guys. There have been 'new' content added to the three HD movie channels but 'zero' to the other 7 channels. I do not think they can keep this up for too long becomes the content on those 7 channels will be worthless if nothing is added soon. This is OT but I remember that when VOOM had the 11 Movies Channels (10 HD Cinema + Monsters), they were adding about 30-40 movies per month on the average. So far this month 24 'new' movies for 3 movie channels. HDnet movies added 12 'new' movies in June and 13 'new' movies in May. In April they added 14 movies.
This is a totally paranoid thought, but E* could have acquired some Voom channels to get Voom subs and sell 942 to subs thinking they were adding more stations and content. Then Voom decides not to add new content, E* drops the Voom channels and E* has the extram Voom subs plus they raised a lot of money at $250 per sub for the 942 and these subs now have to stick with E* or lose $250.00. Just a thought however.

Sean Mota said:
I completely agree with you guys. There have been 'new' content added to the three HD movie channels but 'zero' to the other 7 channels. I do not think they can keep this up for too long becomes the content on those 7 channels will be worthless if nothing is added soon. This is OT but I remember that when VOOM had the 11 Movies Channels (10 HD Cinema + Monsters), they were adding about 30-40 movies per month on the average. So far this month 24 'new' movies for 3 movie channels. HDnet movies added 12 'new' movies in June and 13 'new' movies in May. In April they added 14 movies.
Sean, so what you are saying is that the ratio of new movies to existing movies channels is actually now better than before, correct? That is good. I didn't watch equator before, but there seems to be a lot of stuff I never saw before. Did they add new content to Equator?

How long does it take to retool to be a content provider? Weren't they a content provider before as well as a DBS provider. Why should the production of new content have stopped? Any word from Voomm when full production will begin. Voom now has 12mill customers just with E* they can sell too, not to mention the other cable providers and maybe D*.

So, do you think Voom will pull through or just fail like they did before. I am asking this because I have 2 tivo's (one with a DVD burner) and with TIVO to GO you can transfer movies from Tivo to your PC and watch them with Windows Media 10 and burn then to DVD. Because I had this equipment I decided to opt for two 811's and 1 322 that the kids share with two tuners. Recording on my Pioneer with progressive scan provides 525p resolution which looks nice but not GREAT HD. I am taking advantage of the 30 day money back gurantee on equipment satisfaction and have ordered a 942 and 625 replacements which will be installed next Tuesday. Should I get the 942 now or wait until Voom does something. My concern is they will flounder like before because I feel there is a lack of solid leadership in the company.

So what do you guys think. I am getting the 942 for VOOM. Do you guys think 1) Voom will add more content in the short-term to all ten channels and 2) Will there really be 21 channels and 3) Will E* pick them all up.

If VOOM doesn't do something quick, they will get a bad name like they did with their hardware and lack of new content in the early days of VOOM. Now all they have to do is add content. Are they having second thoughts?

Also, E* needs to add UHD, Cinemax, Starz and TMC in HD to remain competitive with D*. D will add those national channels this year, not just locals.

I am now reconsidering the 942 because of Tivo to Go and DVD burning, but the 942 can ouput to the Tivo's I believe so I can still burn DVD and use Tivo to Go I think.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I am really interested in what you guys think as we are for the most part old times from '03 and I have always respected your opinions.

Thanks,
Ken

kfried001 said:
Sean, so what you are saying is that the ratio of new movies to existing movies channels is actually now better than before, correct? That is good. I didn't watch equator before, but there seems to be a lot of stuff I never saw before. Did they add new content to Equator?

Yes because the ratio two three movie channels to 30+ movies per month is much better than 11 movie channels & 30+ movies per month. Remember that the format of the 10 HD Cinema channels was only 2 movies per day and now it on GuyTv and Majestic is 4 per day. So overall the movies are much better and we are not getting only gendre specific to guytv and majestic but everything on it has included movies from the other 8 HD cinema channels that were not included this time. Even Worldcinema movies...

kfried001 said:
How long does it take to retool to be a content provider? Weren't they a content provider before as well as a DBS provider. Why should the production of new content have stopped? Any word from Voomm when full production will begin. Voom now has 12mill customers just with E* they can sell too, not to mention the other cable providers and maybe D*.

Remember that their budget was cut short after 2/28. I think what we saw on 3/05 and 4/05 was the remaining programming that was already in the pipe. I am sure the re-tooling has to do with a lot of operational functions that have to be changed somewhat. Remember Voom does not get paid unless you sign up for the Voom tier. There is a potential 12 mill customers with E* but not everyone of those 12 mill customers has an HDTV and signed up for the Voom tier. I am sure that if anyone else comes to them and ask them for the channels, they wouldn't hesitate. But the question is do anyone else has bandwith for 21 HD channels at this point or 10. [/quote]

kfried001 said:
So, do you think Voom will pull through or just fail like they did before. I am asking this because I have 2 tivo's (one with a DVD burner) and with TIVO to GO you can transfer movies from Tivo to your PC and watch them with Windows Media 10 and burn then to DVD. Because I had this equipment I decided to opt for two 811's and 1 322 that the kids share with two tuners. Recording on my Pioneer with progressive scan provides 525p resolution which looks nice but not GREAT HD. I am taking advantage of the 30 day money back gurantee on equipment satisfaction and have ordered a 942 and 625 replacements which will be installed next Tuesday. Should I get the 942 now or wait until Voom does something. My concern is they will flounder like before because I feel there is a lack of solid leadership in the company.

Nothing is guaranteed in life but I do not see how they can failed as a content provider. They have been doing this for a long time with AMC, WE, & IFC. They know that there is money to be made in the channels.

kfried001 said:
So what do you guys think. I am getting the 942 for VOOM. Do you guys think 1) Voom will add more content in the short-term to all ten channels and 2) Will there really be 21 channels and 3) Will E* pick them all up.

I do not think there is any doubt that E* has made the contract to add the rest. I would like E* to add the others non-voom HD channels that they are missing. This has been very frustrating with E* in the past. We will have to see and wait until the fall and see what happens.

kfried001 said:
If VOOM doesn't do something quick, they will get a bad name like they did with their hardware and lack of new content in the early days of VOOM. Now all they have to do is add content. Are they having second thoughts?

Agree. They need to add content to the non-movie channels.

kfried001 said:
Also, E* needs to add UHD, Cinemax, Starz and TMC in HD to remain competitive with D*. D will add those national channels this year, not just locals.

Agree.

kfried001 said:
I am now reconsidering the 942 because of Tivo to Go and DVD burning, but the 942 can ouput to the Tivo's I believe so I can still burn DVD and use Tivo to Go I think.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I am really interested in what you guys think as we are for the most part old times from '03 and I have always respected your opinions.

Thanks,
Ken

no problem. Personally I have a 942 and it has been a very good DVR. I also have an HD Tivo and both of them work very well in their own environment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)