New Voom Subscriber

Aldous

Original poster
Nov 2, 2004
I'm a new subscriber. I got installed about a month ago, and I am glad I did. However, after reading these forums for a few months, I've gotten a little tired of the extremes shown by people on here. Some people seem intent on convincing everybody that no matter how bad the news gets, nothing can stop Voom. Others want to make us all believe that Voom was a bad idea when it started, a bad idea now, and a bad idea for the futere, and no matter what Dolan Sr. comes up with, he's a defeated dim-wit.
Am I the only one that sees things to be somewhere in that grey area in the middle? I'm going to refrain from joining the extremes on either side, keep my Voom and Dish, and wait for the smoke to clear. Anybody else with me, or am I standing in the middle of a fire fight?

Aldous said:
I'm a new subscriber. I got installed about a month ago, and I am glad I did. However, after reading these forums for a few months, I've gotten a little tired of the extremes shown by people on here.
Simple solution : more tv, less computer. :D

What you're seeing is a reaction to the VOOM Trolls who continue to visit this Forum and spew their anti-VOOM propaganda; some linger for a while and other just won't leave. As soon as things settle down a bit, I think you'll see there are many very helpful folks on this forum who will go above and beyond to help a fellow VOOMer. Likewise, they will certainly voice their displeasure when the service is substandard.

Aldous said:
I'm a new subscriber. I got installed about a month ago, and I am glad I did. However, after reading these forums for a few months, I've gotten a little tired of the extremes shown by people on here. Some people seem intent on convincing everybody that no matter how bad the news gets, nothing can stop Voom. Others want to make us all believe that Voom was a bad idea when it started, a bad idea now, and a bad idea for the futere, and no matter what Dolan Sr. comes up with, he's a defeated dim-wit.
Am I the only one that sees things to be somewhere in that grey area in the middle? I'm going to refrain from joining the extremes on either side, keep my Voom and Dish, and wait for the smoke to clear. Anybody else with me, or am I standing in the middle of a fire fight?
No, you're not the only one who knows that the grey area is where we are right now. Your position to wait for the smoke to clear is reasonable and, in my opinion, wise, but yes...you are standing in the middle of a firefight.

The thing is, when there is not a major crisis at hand, the troll count here is much lower, and things are far less touchy. :yes

By and large, this forum is generally dominated by devotees who discuss picture quality, programming, and answer newbie questions. It will be that way again when the smoke clears. There will still be the occasional troll...and the occasional devotee who will chase the troll with great vigor. But in the interim, you'll just have to wade though the mess to determine whose posts to put more of your faith in when you seek information. Sad, but true at the present time. :no

Timm's advice is probably perfect at this time. You've already chosen to stay out of the fray, and that's sometimes hard to do when you are in the middle of a firefight. Glad you're enjoying VoOm!! :D Vicki

"extremes"! What "extremes"? Heh, heh.

Aldous said:

Hey, Aldous, we haven't had this much "fun" on the forum for a long time. As others have said I think you'll find most of us in the "grey area". And remember that most of the 46,000 subs never get on here, never read what is posted and never post. So, there are a lot of "greys" out there. Of course, at my advanced age I'm already grey but...

still enjoying HDTV under mostly sunny (rain promised!) Seattle skies, Gill

P.S.: Welcome to the forum!

Aldous,
Like you I have been Voomin' for a little over a month and find it exciting and wonderful. I have also been watching these forums for the duration (and did long before I got Voom) and Vicki and SeattleVoomer1 are right on the mark. The best place to be is in the grey area and try and fathom the good data from the BS. Usually, it's not hard to do at all. Keep enjoying Voom and here's hoping that monday brings us some welcome good news!

It is just my opinion that most customers of VOOM want it to succeed and that is what they express the most. However, all would probably put themselves with you in the middle. I had my own STB before VOOM that I was going to put on EBAY. Last Fall I decided to hold on to it just in case. Similar reason as you. Welcome anyway,.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)