New Voomer! Have Install Question

UPEngineer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 20, 2004
Chickasha, OK
I am set to have my Voom installed on Tuesday (5/26). I am going to have to get into my attic and run some cat5 cable for computer near an outlet that will be used for my VOOM. I have a bunch of RG-6 cable. I was going to run two lines using this cable while I am in the attic to save the installer from having to do it (if he would even do this) since it is already in the 90's here.

I have been told to properly ground the system, a cable with the ground wire on it will have to be used. My cable doesn't have this. Is this correct and should I even mess with it or let the installer do it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Scott Alexander

P.S. I can hardly wait. I hope it is worth the wait!!!!! :)

Don't know but the installer gets paid to do all this for you. Sit back and relax and let him do his job. Then give him a beer.

grounding

If the installer doesn't have a NEC ground location to bond to, especially in your attic, then I suggest you invest into a satellite surge protector. that will create a safe ground for all the connections, assuming you have 3 wire outlets to plug it into. Expect a possible charge for the installer to access your attic. It's not part of the "FREE" standard installation.

Agreed.

The installler can make a nice extra buck (from Voom) for installing a grounding post. But if attics are involved, be prepared for an upcharge. Given the weather in my area right now (sizzzzzle) I don't begrudge them the $.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)