New Wally Receiver to Launch March 17th

Has anyone been able to confirm that Wally will use the same USB OTA as Hopper (194858). Would think so but all none of the product descriptions have been updated to show compatibility.

Has anyone been able to confirm that Wally will use the same USB OTA as Hopper (194858). Would think so but all none of the product descriptions have been updated to show compatibility.
According to dishdepot description under the Wally receiver, it does use the same usb tuner that goes with the 211z and the hoppers.

Well what did Dish depot have to say?,
because their link is the one that claims No Wallys on a Hopper account .
And that it won't work on a hybrid system, even though the Hybrid is both DPP and DPH.
So they sold you a Wally anyway?
You still have to get it activated through dish.

[giant image redacted]

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Yes, I contacted them and had an email exchange with Mark (the owner) specifically asking for clarity around that line in the product description. I described what I wanted to do and our current set-up. He said it will work fine being added to our current account, but didn't offer clarity directly around that statement. I figure if it doesn't work for whatever reason, it's $100 spent on a sexy little receiver and I'll really ratchet up on Dish to make it work, return it if possible, sell it to a fellow RV'er who can maybe use it, or just hold on to it.

Who would get a wally anyhow? What is the point of it. Get a hopper

Because if you read my posts, I already have a Hopper and Joey system in our home. Hopper/Joey systems are hardly portable and do not work well in most RV environments, and our rooftop satellite dish will not support it. It will however support up to any 2 receivers that claim to work with the Tailgater. I also already have a VIP211K w/DVR and external 1TB HD in our RV. A Hopper is just not needed.

The Wally is a add-on for our RV to merely serve as a second receiver in the coach. If it's really the hotness, it might just become the primary. Our RV has 4 TV's, I can choose which TV's get HDMI feed from which ever # of sources. My intent is to go from 1 receiver (source) feeding 4x TV's to 2 receivers feeding 2 pair of TV's to split what can be watched in the coach.

Because if you read my posts, I already have a Hopper and Joey system in our home. Hopper/Joey systems are hardly portable and do not work well in most RV environments, and our rooftop satellite dish will not support it. It will however support up to any 2 receivers that claim to work with the Tailgater. I also already have a VIP211K w/DVR and external 1TB HD in our RV. A Hopper is just not needed.
A Hopper and Joeys work fine in an RV and I have a Hopper 3 running with my Winegard Trav'ler roof dish. Wouldn't go back to a single receiver for anything.

A Hopper and Joeys work fine in an RV and I have a Hopper 3 running with my Winegard Trav'ler roof dish. Wouldn't go back to a single receiver for anything.

I know they can work fine and I'm not arguing for a case that they don't, but in general you don't see many of them. I don't have a Trav'ler and it's still not really the norm in the RV industry due to it's cost/value proposition. There are many choices in how an RV based system can be set-up, it depends on many factors (on the go, part-timer, full-timer, weekender, I could make a list a mile long). I've been involved in both the RV industry and the satellite industry for a good while, so I'm pretty comfy with making generalized statements based on what I usually see out there. The popular trend has been the <$500 portables (Tailgaters, Pathways, etc) many getting roof mounted, followed by tri-pods, and lastly your more complex automatic roof ODU at >$1400+++ install, etc.

Hah! I had just received a brand new Stag Parkway catalog the other day, and I didn't have a chance to look through it until just now. Check out that price lol ($54.89)! Sorry for the grainy image, my scanner didn't like it much for some reason.

126dfa3075419fa229ea1ba7ae0856d9.jpg

"Hopper/Joey systems are hardly portable and do not work well in most RV environments" and "I know they can work fine and I'm not arguing for a case that they don't, but in general you don't see many of them."
Well that covers both sides of the story. It is the generalization of comments about RVs that make it a problem at times. DVRs don't survive in RVs, Hoppers don't work. Single LNBF domes (roof and ground) are fine. Well there isn't much good use for two receivers with a single LNBF dome if you have more than one person in then RV.

A Wally and a dome is a fine combination for campers. Add the second receiver and a tripod makes the best choice for cost. Life is best with a Trav'ler and a Hopper 3.

Would be nice if the Wally did Prime time anytime and use one tuner to record 4 networks too. I can imagine a lot of people that would want one if it could do that feature. Add your own external hard drive and turn it in to a dvr and you would get a cheaper NO fee dvr, that could record 4 local networks or one satellite channel and one ota channel, if you add the usb tuner and your own antenna. Hell, I would add that receiver in a heart beat.

Reactions: pattykay
The Wally is a add-on for our RV to merely serve as a second receiver in the coach. If it's really the hotness, it might just become the primary. Our RV has 4 TV's, I can choose which TV's get HDMI feed from which ever # of sources. My intent is to go from 1 receiver (source) feeding 4x TV's to 2 receivers feeding 2 pair of TV's to split what can be watched in the coach.

I'm not sure that you will be able to mix a Wally and a 211 on the same account. The Wally has the Carbon UI and the 211 will never have that. I guess we'll see if you can get your Wally activated.

I'm not sure that you will be able to mix a Wally and a 211 on the same account. The Wally has the Carbon UI and the 211 will never have that. I guess we'll see if you can get your Wally activated.
Shouldn't matter, should it ? They don't interact in any way at all.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Shouldn't matter, should it ? They don't interact in any way at all.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
I'm not sure what to believe about this Wally.
For one thing, there is no clear evidence that this Wally can be actually activated on a Hopper or 211 account.

So where is the actual information?
Because clearly Dish says no, and Dish depot even has "No " written in their description.

But someone Bought a Wally, and still has no idea what's going to happen with Dish Activation department.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

That sounds cool. I have a tailgater, so I will look into it. Didn't see anywhere about it being for RV. Thanks for info.

I'm not sure what to believe about this Wally.
For one thing, there is no clear evidence that this Wally can be actually activated on a Hopper or 211 account.

So where is the actual information?
Because clearly Dish says no, and Dish depot even has "No " written in their description.

But someone Bought a Wally, and still has no idea what's going to happen with Dish Activation department.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

I guess I'll find out, won't I? :)

It should be able to be activated on the account. The account already is a Hopper account with the 211k on it. This is merely another receiver with a new UI and is not much different than any other 211 out there. There's no MOCA, no networking, so no interactivity with anything else. If DN prevents me from adding it to the account, it's due to whatever internal stupidity reigns at the moment on their side and not some technical reason. Most likely their billing systems can't deal with it yet, but it would probably come soon enough. This happened when the tailgaters and supporting 211's originally came out, initially you could not add them to a hopper account either. Now you can and that was solved quite some time ago.

I'll be the guinea pig for $100, it's no big loss to me either way. I'll keep everyone updated on how it goes.

I hope it eventually works with the new Hybrid LNBf Dishes. I'm looking to install an EA dish at our vacation home and I would rather have one with a future instead of a DPP dish that is the last of its kind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts