New, want to know what FTA is all about

Status
Please reply by conversation.

spec1alk

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
Guys,

I apologize because I am sure this has been asked before. It would help if there was a sticky.

Basically I want to know what FTA satellite is all about. What kind of programming is available? Networks (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC)? Movie channels? Is the content in HD? What equipment is required? Is a program guide available?

What are the differences between FTA and OTA or a pay service like cable or E*/DTV?

Thanks for your patience.

FTA is unlike any satellite television you have ever viewed before...

You can (most of the time) watch the networks, but like most of FTA whats up there today might not be up there tomorrow.

There are all kinds of things that just pop up and then go away, things like live sporting events (many in HD), live UNEDITED news feeds (this is one of my favorite things about FTA, when there is major news you can watch live and see for yourself whats going on instead of seeing a 10 second news clip later that night on the news!) there are also lots of international channels and some unique television stations broadcast from all around the country.

For the most part FTA is not making a schedule of what you want to watch and when with a TV guide, but its scanning the skies and finding things to watch.

I find it cool that many of the feeds I am watching are feeds coming directly from the uplink trucks, and the only ones seeing these pure feeds are me, other FTA folks and the TV network which is receiving those signals and retransmitting them.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

There are two types of antennas that FTA enthusiasts use. Ku Band which is 30" to 39" and larger. Then there is C-band those big dishes from the 1980's and 1990's.

Currently most of the traditional major networks are on C-band, and on Ku Band there are more networks and network feeds (like from NBC, ABC and CBS) and stations through out the satellite spectrum.

Receivers for FTA can receive both C-band and Ku-band. The signals are mostly digital and receivers from the last couple of years can get digital. FTA means non encrypted signals and are free for anyone to watch.

The satellite with the most stations is 97W (that is the satellite location) on Ku band. the satellite has around 200 stations with international, religious and english programming. in addition there are many audio only channels that can be received as well.

The cost for a basic FTA Ku Band setup is around $200 to $250. Since the satellites have different programming on each, some FTA enthusiasts use a motor to turn the dish, or have different dishes pointing at various satellites. Yes you can watch FTA in HD if the satellite is FTA and is running HD. Please check our sponsor's sites for a all in package if this interests you.

The bigger C-band dish has some interesting programming on it, these dishes surprisingly can be had for used $100 or even free from E-bay or Craig's list! . We have a separate forum just for C-band.

Welcome to the forum and to the community!

Welcome to Satellite Guys! It all depends on what you want to watch. If you're looking for all the premium stuff on your cable/dish setup....Well 99% of that isn't on FTA. However if you're looking for a great hobby and aren't particular with what channels you watch then FTA is for you. It depends on what you are willing to live with and without. It also depends on how much you want to spend to on equipment...dishes, receivers etc... As for OTA. Thats the local channels available in your area on regular Tv. It depends how close you are to a major city etc...what you'll get. I live near Cincinnati and Dayton so with an antenna on the roof I get about 35 channels. Some of them are duplicates between the two cities. Ask anyone in these forums any questions you have....All are glad to help in anyway they can. Also the sponsors here are great too!
Blind

I will post you a list of what is in my favorites, for many people FTA isnt an option, for me its perfect.

1. History
2. Bio
3. THIStv Network
4. Saudi TV1
5. Saudi TV2
6. Russia Today
7. Al Jazeera - English
8. Mhz World View
9. Kuwait TV
10. Kuwait 2
11. Kuwait 3
12. TimeTV
13. Press TV
14. Pastor Scott
15. JCTV
16. NHK 525
17. NHK 1080i
18. YES Italia
19. RAI News 24
20. Arirang

Guys,

I apologize because I am sure this has been asked before. It would help if there was a sticky.

Basically I want to know what FTA satellite is all about.
It is basically what traditional TV isn't. There isn't a gatekeeper as such for the programming up there, or controlling what our FTA receivers cannot see or do (except by using encryption.)

IMHO what is on FTA satellite fits into two categories:
1. Feeds and backhauls. These are things that are there, but you are not supposed to see at home, at least from that source. This includes closed circuit feeds for hospitasl, department stores, pharmacies, and teleclassroom courses, as well as news, sports feeds/backhauls, wildfeeds, and network feeds.

2. Programmed channels intended for end viewers, but could not make it on pay systems, or for whatever reason prefer not to. These would include the foreign and religious channels on G19 and AMC-1.

FTA is not getting pay services without paying for them.
What kind of programming is available? Networks (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC)?
Those networks have some feeds. I personally don't know more than that.
Movie channels?
Not really that I've seen. I heard there is some on Hispasat, and there is the River Broadcasting channel on G19.
Is the content in HD?
There is some HD feeds and PBS. I don't think the international/religious programming has HD.
What equipment is required?
A receiver. Almost any will do for most SD channels. You will need to do some research for HD, MPEG4, and DVB-S2/8PSK formats, to get the right receiver.
A dish bigh enough to get the satellite (s) you want. Same for the LNBF. Cabling/switches/motor might be needed.
Is a program guide available?
Mostly not.

What are the differences between FTA and OTA or a pay service like cable or E*/DTV?
OTA only has broadcast and a few other channels available. That is good enough for some.

FTA, said above.

Pay satellite, you have to pay, and have to take the channels they offer in the packages. You need their receiver, and they mostly decide how it works.

Thanks guys for the helpful information. I plan to read the stickies referenced by Pepper and then may play around with this a little bit.

The reason I started this thread is that I am irritated at the selection provided to me by my Pay service (E*).

I am pretty much only interested in HD content. SD content just doesn't look good on my TV (Samsung 67" DLP).

I was looking at alternatives or perhaps a compliment to my pay service. I am also thinking about investing in a good exterior VHF+UHF antennae to pull in additional content.

Some of the FTA programming sounds interesting. I notice there is quite a bit of programming available from the middle east. Am I correct in stating that the majority of the FTA content is news/religious/educational related? What about sports? I am a football junkie. Any NFL on FTA? I will watch baseball occasionally (grew up in San Diego, so I loosely follow the Padres). I will watch some March Madness, NBA playoffs/finals, and I am trying to get into College Football. What kind of sports content is available? Am I right in assuming the sports content that is available is more global? i.e. Soccer?

Anyways, it sounds like this could be something really fun to play around with. I like the idea of tapping into content coming from a broadcast truck somewhere. Sounds fun.

In response to Blindowl1234, unfortunately I live in a valley of a sparsely populated area and will be lucky to pick up 4 or 5 OTA channels, let alone 35.

You won't find much, if any, pro sports on fta (they want MONEY). Some college sports can be found if you look around for the feeds, but no fulltime sports channels for US college sports that I know of . The regional sports networks, like the pro sports, want MONEY to pay for the expense of providing their content. That said, you can almost always find something to watch with free to air. If you want guaranteed coverage of certain teams or sports, I'd suggest one of the pay-tv providers (which should really be called 'get-paid providers" lol)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)