Newb with money and questions!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

arcane

Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
how yall doing, i've been reading a lot of the threads here.. and i've looked at many different HD receivers...

i do most of my browsing with "gosatelilite" .. im thinking of getting the bundle there..

here is what im thinking of getting.

Viewsat 9000HD
Winegard 31" (76cm) Satelilite Dish
Invacom Quad Linear and Circular LNB
Digipower SG2100 Dish Motor
4x1 DiSEqC Switch

does this sound like a quality setup? am i missing something?? Iceberg?

okay and as for my questions....... here they are

can i get local tv channels with this? (los angeles,ca)
do i get pay per view channels with this?
should i get motorized or stationary satelilite?
What are the biggest downfalls to using FTA instead of DishNetwork???
What are the biggest perks?

Thank you!

how yall doing, i've been reading a lot of the threads here.. and i've looked at many different HD receivers...

i do most of my browsing with "gosatelilite" .. im thinking of getting the bundle there..

Viewsat 9000HD
4x1 DiSEqC Switch

does this sound like a quality setup? am i missing something?? Iceberg?

okay and as for my questions....... here they are

Thank you!
First let me say :welcome
No
No
take a look at FTAList.com - The easy list of North American free-to-air TV channels there is very little in common between pay satellite TV and Free To Air.
It is a great hobby - lots of free TV - but limited TV guide material. Programing can be hard to predict. Very little HD - only one PBS station at this time with regular programing (you would need a larger dish for HD). I would read a lot more before purchasing a motorized HD system. I would suggest if you want to try FTA - start with a simple $200 system from on of our sponsors such as SatelliteAV.
Good Luck
Bob

Viewsat 9000HD
4x1 DiSEqC Switch
OK...sounds like a decent setup

yes. The Viewsat 9000 has a ASTC tuner in it
hmm...lets see.....FREE to air...pay per view......no brainer there...no
motorized
I wouldnt compare the two. Dish Network is a subscription service and has the cable type channels. Free to air does not. Check out thelist (at the top) for a list of channels.

1. the crazy feeds. These are 5 or 10 minute segments that pop up. Want to see news live and uncut? free to air...want to see what happens when a big news item breaks? free to air.
2. the odd ball channels up there
3. the "you never know what you're gonna see"..

The only HD channel up 24/7 on KU is PBS but there are other sports feeds up there.

as for the 9000, although I havent had one, there is a review

http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-mpeg2-equipment-reviews/131374-viewsat-9000-review.html

wescopc shut my dreams down............but iceberg saved me....

as long as i can get local....channels im good

but now.. 2 questions come up

if those local channels are broadcasted in HD... will i receive it in HD

also.. sports....

im huge on sports... and football season is coming up... will i be able to watch those games???? in HD??? its an HD receiver and i kno almost all sports now are made in HD

To clarify, you can't get you local stations off of the satellite dish.
Bob

The receiver you asked about has a ASTC tuner so it will receiver digital channels. If your channel broadcasts in HD it will be HD

Bob is saying the satellite dish won't do that....you need an indoor or outdoor antenna to get the HD channels if you are going to use the Viewsat 9000

I have a Coolsat 8000 that I run my OTA antenna into to get the local digital channels

If all you're looking for is a receiver to do HD OTA, get one of the converter boxes :)

The receiver you asked about has a ASTC tuner so it will receiver digital channels. If your channel broadcasts in HD it will be HD

Bob is saying the satellite dish won't do that....you need an indoor or outdoor antenna to get the HD channels if you are going to use the Viewsat 9000

I have a Coolsat 8000 that I run my OTA antenna into to get the local digital channels

If all you're looking for is a receiver to do HD OTA, get one of the converter boxes :)

seems like i got a lot to learn...

so now.. i gotta look into buying an OTA antenna. and that will help with the local channels.....

this is kinda annoyin so far..hahaha.... i got the new samsung LN52A750

and i wanna use it to its full potential (got a ps3 just for the blu ray..some limited gaming)

but the Sports ..are big in my life.... might still consider the 60-70 montly payment on dishnetwork

if you like college football there are alot of wild feeds on every saturday on FTA. That's the main reason I have FTA, I don't watch much of the other programming except for the occasional ONN (since i live in Ohio). If you like sports, there are tons of high school football and college football feeds that you will get, and just about every NFL preseason game and some preseason MLB and NBA. What you won't get much of on FTA are the regular season professional sports games (NBA, NFL, MLB). Except there are a couple of FTA FOX stations on G10, mainly one out of Marquette, MI that carrys all of the Lions games (and since I'm a lions fan it's perfect for me). There is also an NBA game every once in a while and some MLB games on some of the Equity channels on G10. In a nutshell, you will get about every college football game on FTA that you would with Dish or DTV, but with the subscription packages on Dish and DTV (mainly DTV) you would have better options watching professional sports. Up until this year, I used to find alot of Mets wild feeds on AMC6, but I don't know what happened to them. But like Iceberg says, the fun thing is just not knowing what you may find. I remember when me and my buddy would fire up his dad BUD on friday nights 15-20 years ago looking for Lions and Bears preseason NFL games. This was before the internet took off, we used to call some pay-hotline to get a list of the NFL wild feeds just to tune in these games. That feeling of finding a game or a wild feed that normally you wouldn't ever get to watch never gets old.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts