Newbe needs information

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mrbobcc

Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
I have run search here but can not seem to find the information I am looking for and am not sure I am even in the right forum for this post.

We bought a RV. Parking under the trees block receiption for the roof mounted dish. So I need to put a remote dish out in the open and run the coax to the input jack on the side of the RV. My question is what kind of dish would be best for this. How many LNB's are needed. Are they on different freq? Connection to DirectTV.
Do I need any other equipment? Is EBay a good place to look?

I thank you in advance for any help I receive.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes we have service with DirectTV and have set top box model unkowned at this time. RV in storage. Roof dish is a Winegard auto locate. Did not want to spend a lot so I was looking on EBay and they have tons of dishes but which is which....... ??? I belive all I need is the dish, a tripod, RG6 coax less then 100 feet and plug it in.
Is it that simple?

Yeah, it pretty much IS that simple... is your receiver Hi-Def or standard? If it's standard definition, you could probably just get the standard 18" ODU (Dish), your tripod, and your run of cable... and be good to go~

Yes just standard for now.... I wanted a HD in motion dish but the wife says I have enough toyes. Let her drive and I watch HD but that did not go far.....

So a standard dish with 1 LNB. Do the ones with 3 LNB receive different freq? Why is there a need for 3? I know with HD you get a feed from 3 different satellites.

So if there is nothing special about the LNB then to EBay I will go.

The only reason you might need the 3-LNB ODU anymore is if you wanted Spanish Programming... D*s HD feed USED to come through the Triple-Sat, but with the launch of all the new programming, the SlimLine took over that. On top of that, instead of looking to the sky for ONE satellite (Dual LNB @ 101) you would need to look for THREE satellites instead... which you obviously don't need.

Now, if you think you MIGHT end up going with HD sooner than later, then you might just consider getting the SlimLine ODU right off the bat. Your standard definition receiver will still work with it, and you'd be all set when you're ready to make the switch. Just keep in mind that you'll need a tripod that can accommodate a 2" pole, as opposed to 1 5/8" pole needed for the 18" ODU. I hope this helped...

That information was great. It stop me from buying the wrong one.

Many thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts