Newbie asking: How do I move TV2 to a different room with existing cable?

Just Plain Jane

Original poster
Dec 11, 2011
Missouri, USA
Hello, I am not experienced in this area but I have been reading the forums for some general info so I understand some of the terminology. I am hoping you can clarify something for me on an issue that has already been discussed to some extent. So far I haven't found the answer to this specific question.

We have one dish on the roof which was installed over 1 year ago. We already had (Mediacom) cable lines running to 3 TVs in 3 different rooms, so the satellite was connected to the existing cable. We have a dual receiver DVR625 in the living room (TV1) set to ch 3, and TV2 is currently in bedroom 1, set to ch 60. The tech set it up so that a third TV in bedroom 2 is a mirror of TV2 in bedroom 1. (In other words, remote for TV2 in bedroom 1 controls what is shown on both bedroom TVs.)

I have recently moved my furniture and TV from bedroom 1 into bedroom 2 and want to move the control of TV2 to bedroom 2 as well. I connected the TV to the existing cable in bedroom 2, and the TV comes on and has a clear picture and sound, but the satellite remote does not work on that TV. I can only control it with the TV remote, and only get ch 60 and a couple of others.

We connected an old TV back in bedroom 1 and the satellite remote still works in there to control TV2. In bedroom 2, I am still only able to watch whatever is selected/controlled on the TV in bedroom 1.

How do I change it so that my TV (in bedroom 2) has the control of TV2 with the satellite remote for TV2...and let the TV in bedroom 1 be the mirror to bedroom 2? (In other words, flip control of TV2 from bedroom 2 to bedroom 1).

Thank you in advance for your assistance! These forums are very informative for those of us that are "technologically challenged."
:D

Last edited:
Go to chapter 9 of your user guide and follow instructions to control other devices.The tv2 remote was set up to contol the tv in bedroom 1. You need to change it to control the other tv. If you don't have the manual it is available at Manuals .You call call Dish Tech support and they will walk you through it.

From what it spunds like your second bedroom is farther away from the reciever that the original bedroom, or there is more frequency interference between remote and reciever, for it to communicate properly.

If you look at the back of the reciever is there a lityle metal antennae withgreen on the fitting connected to the box? If so then you need to extend this antennaes reach by using a barrel and a piece of coax to get a larger antennae.

Or call for service and have a csr agent set you up with a tech visit so you can have tv 2 relocated with the antennae moved properly. But say your tv2 is having an issue so they dont charge 50 bucks for relocation.

Thank you guys for the great suggestions. I read the manual and will follow the instructions. Yes the bedroom 2 is farther away from the receiver. I will move the antennae and try again. If it doesn't work...I'll be back..... LOL

From what it spunds like your second bedroom is farther away from the reciever that the original bedroom, or there is more frequency interference between remote and reciever, for it to communicate properly.

If you look at the back of the reciever is there a lityle metal antennae withgreen on the fitting connected to the box? If so then you need to extend this antennaes reach by using a barrel and a piece of coax to get a larger antennae.

Or call for service and have a csr agent set you up with a tech visit so you can have tv 2 relocated with the antennae moved properly. But say your tv2 is having an issue so they dont charge 50 bucks for relocation.

Dish CSR said tech visit will cost $65; I'm trying to avoid that. :D The second bedroom is only about 12 feet away from first bedroom, so I don't think distance is an issue. I turned the remote antennae straight up and I have now been able to program the remote (bedroom 2 TV) so that it will turn the TV on and off and I can control the volume. But when I try to select the channel, I can only get 60 (Sat ch) and 3 and 47...the rest are snow. None of the other control buttons on the remote will work (i.e. guide, info, recall, etc.) and I can't get the menu. Now what? :confused:

Are you on TV mode or SAT mode? If you're getting snow it sounds like you might have inadvertently changed your TV from channel 60. The other channels (3, 47) may just be something you're picking up over-the-air. What brand television is in the room you are having the issue with. (Sony?, Magnavox?)

Are you on TV mode or SAT mode? If you're getting snow it sounds like you might have inadvertently changed your TV from channel 60. The other channels (3, 47) may just be something you're picking up over-the-air. What brand television is in the room you are having the issue with. (Sony?, Magnavox?)

The TV is Admiral...it's the same TV that was in the other bedroom controlling TV2--I just moved it to a different room that has an existing cable through the floor from Mediacom hookup several yrs ago. The tech had it set up so that this room would mirror the 1st bedroom...I want to reverse that.

TV shows I'm in the SAT mode; and displays "Stereo CH 60" when I turn the TV on.

JPJ- you need to move your remote antenna to the bedroom you are now using as TV2. It requires two splitters and 3 pcs of cable.
I will try to find a diagram for you

Here is a rough sketch of a remote antenna with a triplexor also...

Attachments

• remote ant w_triplexor.jpg
    remote ant w_triplexor.jpg
    493.9 KB · Views: 525

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)