newbie - basic equipment question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cybersonic

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2005
I originally started my question on the General Discussion forum: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=41115

Thanks guys for your very quick responses and for pointing me to this FTA discussion forum, I hadn't noticed it!

Yep, I can't live without my BVN channel!
So, I now understand I need a receiver, a dish and a LNB.
As far as receiver goes - Traxis DBS 2500, Satwork ST 3688 or Coship CDVB 5300? Any others to consider? Reading through the threads, I think this could be a lot of fun, so I want to keep my options open and get a model that will last me a while! (I want to keep my complete system under $400 though... :D )

Dish: I read several entries about a WineGard 30" dish? I guess that would be a good choice?

LNB: no clue... what do I need? Does this have a connector that needs to fit the dish? Just want to make sure everything hooks up fine...

Any special connectors, cables, etc. that I will need?

I guess I don't need a motor for now - will I be able to add one later if needed? That might be an important factor when choosing my equipment.

And then finally the $1M question - any reputable store to get this from? I told you, I'm a newbie...

Thanks so much for the help! :)
Chris.

cybersonic said:
I originally started my question on the General Discussion forum: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=41115

Thanks guys for your very quick responses and for pointing me to this FTA discussion forum, I hadn't noticed it!

Yep, I can't live without my BVN channel!
So, I now understand I need a receiver, a dish and a LNB.
As far as receiver goes - Traxis DBS 2500, Satwork ST 3688 or Coship CDVB 5300? Any others to consider? Reading through the threads, I think this could be a lot of fun, so I want to keep my options open and get a model that will last me a while! (I want to keep my complete system under $400 though... :D )

oh sweet...we got some money to spend :) If you think you'll ad a motor later, get one that can support it. Satwork 3688, Fortec Ultra and Microyal will move a motor. If not, there are plenty of simple models that work. I bought a simple one for pretty cheap (under 100) on Ebay...
Dish: I read several entries about a WineGard 30" dish? I guess that would be a good choice?
One of the best is the Winegard...I have one and its a sturdy unit. Stay away from the cheap models....they can bend in the wind. Hotidish is one of these
LNB: no clue... what do I need? Does this have a connector that needs to fit the dish? Just want to make sure everything hooks up fine...

The LNB has to be KU Band...any will work
Any special connectors, cables, etc. that I will need?

coax cable
I guess I don't need a motor for now - will I be able to add one later if needed? That might be an important factor when choosing my equipment.
The receiver needs to have Diseqc 1.2 or USALS. 1.2 moves the motor. You can add a motor later
And then finally the $1M question - any reputable store to get this from? I told you, I'm a newbie...
check it out

Iceberg said:
The LNB has to be KU Band...any will work

Iceberg,

Since the guy/gal wants FTA, I think the LNB should be linear, right ?

If a circular LNB (like the one in D*) is used, it will not work, am I right ?

PSB said:
You can use a linear or circular LNB with a DVB receiver, for the linear KU you use a L.O. of 10750 and for a circular (DBS) a L.O. of 11250. Still alot of of good stuff to be had with a small dish and a DBS circular LNB.......(IMO)

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=25452

Thanks !

So can a D* system pick up 95 & 101 can also pick up FTA in Telstar5 97 (linear) ?

You can use a DirecTv system for 101 & 95 and a FTA system for IA5 (T5)

95 is linear too, but the ethnic stuff on Direct will work with the receivers. The stuff on IA5 you need a complete different system :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.