Newbie DVR question...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

polksda

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Urbana, IL
Been with DirecTV for about a month and a half now. Still getting used to it compared to Dish.

I'm wanting to build a library of NCIS episodes in HD, since the early seasons have not been released on Blu-Ray. So I have one of my HD-DVRs set to record all the episodes on USA (they show 20+ episodes a week).

Here's the question: Is the DVR smart enough to not re-record episodes that it has already recorded even they are all reruns, or will I have to manually cleanse duplicates from thethe library before the HD-DVR fills?

Thanks.

Right now I have NCIS, CSI, Southland, Damages, Justified, Mythbusters, Grey's Anatomy (yeah go ahead and laugh, but it's good), South Park, Futurama, and Family Guy going. I seem to have problems sporadically (where it'll record both the eastern and pacific runs on the same day), usually happens after a software update, then goes away after the next update. The main thing you have to watch for is when they dump the new episodes to the rerun channels. A lot of times they will put the 'first run' flag up the first time it is run on that channel, even though it originally aired on the other network a few weeks ago, and it'll record even though it is already on the DVR. I have that problem with Grey's Anatomy, where the new episode on ABC is recorded, then 2 weeks later Lifetime gets it and it records again because they set it as first run.

But out of all those series, I wind up with maybe 3 or 4 duplicates a week at this point.

Last edited:
The only way to filter is new/rerun, so if you are recording all of them, it will record duplicates. You will have to remove them one at a time.

To clarify my original question: At this point I'm not recording any of the new shows. Only reruns on USAHD. If I understand the above responses correctly, I shouldn't have an issue with duplication due to incorrect flagging, as I'm only recording reruns, correct?

It will record all of the reruns, including duplicates. The dvr only differentiates between first run and reruns, not already recorded episodes. That would be a nice feature to have though.

Frack. Then it looks like I'll have to manually keep track of the individual episodes and keep on it as the DVR gets full. *grumble*

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)