Newbie...help! multiswitch and 3 receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

STotman

Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Hey all,

New to the board, hope you can help me out. I'm sure this question has been asked before but could not find a resolution as of yet. I have a dual LNB with Direct TV service, had been running two receivers, one off of each LNB. I got a DVR, so third line needed. In comes the multiswitch...and my problems :)
First the setup. Oval dual LNB dish, Phillips 7000 DVR (replaced RCA DRD), RCA DRD 420RE (relatively old). Lines are about 50 feet long from dish to multiswitch, and about 75 feet long from multiswitch to the receivers. Multiswitch is "Active Terrestrial", no external power supply.
When I hooked up 3 lines coming out of the multiswitch, the DVR said it could not find satellite B...sometimes. If I disconnect the second line coming into the DVR it finds satellite A and B no problem. (odd/even high/low transponders all good) When I hook it back up, I can run for a while without issue, but eventually some lower channels drop off and then the DVR says it can not find satellite for Line 2. When I go to test satellite B, it only is showing transponders 22-32 as options to test signal strength. Also, when the second receiver changes channels, it can affect the problems being shown on the DVR (like if they are tuned to the same channel, the second input on the DVR stops complaining) Disconnecting the RCA box, leaving the 2 inputs connected to the DVR seemed to make the problem go away, but sure enough I got the "Line 2" message after about 10 minutes.
I've seen two possibilities for resolution, one is that the multiswitch can't handle the long cable run (over 100 feet toal run on each), the other is that the 2 receivers are sending different voltages to the multiswitch. It would seem the different voltage problem would not be the issue since disconnecting the RCA receiver did not solve the problem. It sounds like I'm down to the multiswitch??? Would this be the total realm of possibities for tracking down the problem, or are there other thrings that could be affecting this? I have a voltmeter at my disposal but that's about it. I don't think the LNB's are the source of the problem only because they were working with two receivers no problem until I started messing with things.

Any help would be much appreciated!

My DVR did the same kind of thing. The installer switched out the multiswitch & all was OK. Not saying that's what your problem is, mine was just a brand new but still junk multiswitch.

Multiswitch

Thanks for the feedback. I've gone ahead and ordered a new, powered multiswitch as well as an inline amplifier. Will post the outcome when it's all hooked up.

After swapping out the multiswitch with an externally powered one, no progress. So I ran some more tests. As it turns out, I have an oval dish, BUT the second satellite was strictly for internet access (old Hughes dish). The dual LNB was coming from one satellite feed. So I reprogrammed the Tivo to think it was a round dish, dual LNB (one satellite). Some progress but didn't solve everything. So then I tested the newly run cabling. Sure enough, something is wrong in one of the lines. Hooking up a new line solved the problem. So, to complete the test, I reset my Tivo back to an Oval dish setting to confirm I was correct in setting it to the other configuration. It didn't work (with the new line) and I'm assuming that's because of the two satellite deal. So, in summary, bad line, bad configuration!

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

Glad to hear that your problem is fixed! Was your old cabling RG-59 by any chance? That will give you problems with longer cable runs. This is why everyone, Directv and DISH, recommend RG-6.

Neutron said:
Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

Glad to hear that your problem is fixed! Was your old cabling RG-59 by any chance? That will give you problems with longer cable runs. This is why everyone, Directv and DISH, recommend RG-6.

How long of a cable run requires RG6?

When I got my new Dish & Tivo installed I had a run of wire to my old reciever from Direct in 2000. I also had a run of cheap wire to the same reciever that came from my OTA antenna. The guys from Direct used my old antenna wire. I asked about using RG6. He said it would be OK. I was skeptical but my signal looks the same on either tuner & the signal strength is real close on both too. The run is approx. 25-30 ft.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Toshiba DST-3100

HD to SD Tivo Question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)