Newbie here, hello. My hd is not very good, why?

. I run the hdmi out of the hopper to my Anthem D2v processor, which is one of the best on the market. It recommends that all sources going to it be pass thru if possible and let it do the upscaling..

Wonder if the processor is causing the problem...

All i know DISH was awesome in the Voom days! Equator and HDnet were spectacular at that time. Then, it seemed to all go downhill from there as more and more channels were added. Maybe 4k will bring that "looking out a window" feeling back?

Wonder if the processor is causing the problem...

I also wrote in that paragraph..."I've run the hopper to the D2v and also the hopper direct to the Pro-70x5fd."
I'll elaborate more for you. The pq is better with the D2v processor, so it's not causing the problem.

Blur and halo typically refer to problems with motion interpolation. I've never seen a cable or satellite signal induce blur, unless you consider macro blocking and the image breaking up as blur. Same with halos, unless you are referring to mosquito noise. So I don't quit understand what you are seeing, but I will say I also have a 70" display and watching Dish at 11ft and the image is most often a disappointment so at 9ft I would expect more problems.

Sorry guys for I'm struggling with using the correct terminology. Blur/halo as I've mentioned in my previous post usually is attributed to motion, but not in this case, for as I wrote, I have gone thru all the motion settings including turning them off. Maybe the term I should use is macro blocking or mosquito noise. I'll try and explain again the situation. The pq looks like it's between sd and hd. If blocking/mosquito noise is what you see with sd, then that's what I'm seeing on hd. Some channels are excellent in hd, like the movie chimpanzee on starz is shown as 1080i and very happy with the pq. As far as sitting 9' from the 70" screen, if the display is of a good enough quality (the pro-60x5fd was awarded best 2010 tv by the Value Electronics shoot out that year) then the pq will be fantastic given a good source, like a blu-ray or tv signal of 1080i/p. Sd on this screen... forgetaboutit. I only watch hd.

Directv wants me back and have sent me 8 letters and 4 phone calls asking me to come back over the last 4 months since by switch. I just got off the phone with D* and explained my concerns about if D* is as good as they say. And that I don't want to leave E* in case the pq E* is providing is just as good a D*.
They offered to come to my house, upgrade the dish on the house, check their existing cable or replace if need and provide the genie. Here's their offer...compare D* to E* and I'll have 24hrs to do so. If I'm not convinced D* provides a better picture, they will terminate service, take the genie back and not charge me anything. I asked them to give me 2 days to think about it. They will call me in two days. Thoughts?

I could have posted this entire drama on Directv on this forum and choose to do so here on E* because I have E* now. Please don't think I am saying anything bad about E* being there are a lot of E* subscribers here. I'm just trying to figure out why my memory thinks D* may/might have been better. I wish I had not terminated D* and kept it active when I switched to E* and could have done the comparison then. Now I'm so focus on what I think D* provided. All the channels on E* that I'm disappointed with in hd, may be of the same pq on D*

Last edited:
Directv wants me back and have sent me 8 letters and 4 phone calls asking me to come back over the last 4 months since by switch. I just got off the phone with D* and explained my concerns about if D* is as good as they say. And that I don't want to leave E* in case the pq E* is providing is just as good a D*.
They offered to come to my house, upgrade the dish on the house, check their existing cable or replace if need and provide the genie. Here's their offer...compare D* to E* and I'll have 24hrs to do so. If I'm not convinced D* provides a better picture, they will terminate service, take the genie back and not charge me anything. I asked them to give me 2 days to think about it. They will call me in two days. Thoughts?

I'd take them up on that offer. And then please report back your findings.

9ft from a 70 inch screen will only look good with a pristine 1080p source, which you won't get from Dish, or Direct for that matter. :)

It is what it is.

take them up on it, if they will truly let you out if you decide you want to keep Dish. It is all subjective every one has to see decide with their own eyes. I just wouldn't want to be stuck with an early termination fee just for trying something out for a couple of days.

Even if they are running 1920x1080I. There's no way they can run 9 channels on a 45 mb transponder and still get the minimum 6 mbps for full rez according to the link you posted above!:D
The math doesn't make since. If they were cband TP's running at 30000 sr. Then yeah, it could be done!

Oh, I agree. I am no way implying the image from DISH is equal to most of the OTA PQ. Just that it has been in 1920X1080 for awhile now. That it is compressed and they are not getting full mbps is not arguable. :)

I'd take them up on that offer. And then please report back your findings.

9ft from a 70 inch screen will only look good with a pristine 1080p source, which you won't get from Dish, or Direct for that matter. :)

It is what it is.

I will and I will.

In my prior post, Starz was showing Chimpanzee, the hd picture was outstanding in 1080i. 1080i vs 1080p, pq is so close you'd not notice the difference unless there is fast action. Progressive is better with motion.

As far as why 9' from my 70" screen as my viewing distance; I moved the sofa back and forth till I found the right distance for movies in 1080i/p that I'm very familiar with. That's where the viewing was the most immersive and no pixels could be seen. If the screen was 4k and watching 4k, it could go a lot closer. Not that I'd want to sit that much closer and have to turn my head right to left to watch a movie. Ah but my inner child would love it. lol

DSC00536.JPGDSC00538.JPGDSC00549.JPG

Last edited:
take them up on it, if they will truly let you out if you decide you want to keep Dish. It is all subjective every one has to see decide with their own eyes. I just wouldn't want to be stuck with an early termination fee just for trying something out for a couple of days.

I agree. However the deal is for 24hrs, not a couple days. Oh and I'd be way under the 24hrs, for I'm certainly not going to pay 2 early termination fees.

I have both providers and find HBO east to be better with Dish than with DIRECTV but for the most part DIRECTV has the edge ... (120" screen)

show off :D

I wonder how some of my 3200K 1280x720 HD files I pulled off BBC would look on that, because they put what I've seen on Directv, Dish and my OTA local broadcasts to shame.

Direct may broadcast "full" HD @ 1920x1080 at a higher bitrate, but that doesn't tell the whole story. While that may look better on paper, that doesn't necessarily translate into better PQ. Many events are shot at 1440x1080 anyway so there will be times where there is no discernible difference in sharpness between the two resolutions. The human eye is also more sensitive to vertical resolution than horizontal resolution. The jump from 1280x720 to 1440x1080 is a lot more noticeable than the difference between 1440x1080 and 1920x1080. 1440x1080 has rectangular (1.33:1) pixels vs 1920x1080's square pixels.

For example take Direct's higher bitrate/horizonal resolution vs Dish's lower bitrate/horizontal resolution. Direct has 518,400 more pixels to deal with in regards to bandwidth. So of course a higher bitrate is required, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Direct is not bit starved. So while still/slow scenes may look more crisp on direct (that is, if the content was actually shot in 1920x1080,) Dish has a lower horizontal resolution to deal with and can take advantage of the fact that many adjacent pixels are redundant and so Dish can make fast moving scenes look better with a lower bitrate/horizontal resolution i.e. less macroblocking.

Long story short, having an appropriate bitrate for a given resolution is what really matters more so than 480 lines of horizontal resolution.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Finally, somebody who knows what they are talking about. Like a lot of things tech, it really is a human PHILOSOPHY regarding trade-offs, with neither being objectively better or worse, but each person will have their subjective preference for one compromise compared to the other.

This is why I hope Dish could eventually transition to HEVC. That cuts down the bandwidth needed for full quality 1080p a lot. Dish could easily serve everyone with full quality 1080p HD if they could just get to HEVC transmission. That said there's still a lot of MPEG2 running on Western Arc. Wish that could go first.

This is why I hope Dish could eventually transition to HEVC. That cuts down the bandwidth needed for full quality 1080p a lot. Dish could easily serve everyone with full quality 1080p HD if they could just get to HEVC transmission. That said there's still a lot of MPEG2 running on Western Arc. Wish that could go first.

I'm $ure thi$ i$ eventually coming. Ju$t a matter of time. Ju$t got to replace a few million receiver$ fir$t. And after the year$ that would take, we'll be up to MPEG-Eleventy-Three!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)