Newbie here, hello. My hd is not very good, why?

Yeah, that is one fantastic achievement, no?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

This is why I hope Dish could eventually transition to HEVC. That cuts down the bandwidth needed for full quality 1080p a lot. Dish could easily serve everyone with full quality 1080p HD if they could just get to HEVC transmission. That said there's still a lot of MPEG2 running on Western Arc. Wish that could go first.

What is HEVC transmission?

Ha, it is Dish we're talking about. Then again I never thought they would come out with a DVR as good as the Hopper either.
Ha, it is all content providers we're talking about. Just think how much of a cash cow there will be when all old titles are re-relea$ed in 4K.

Being I switched from Directv to Dish about 5 months ago, I'll take a big $ hit to go back to Directv. Directv offered if I come back, they'd install a new dish and genie and let me try it for 24hrs and let them know if I want to stay with them. Instead of doing that, I bought an OTA antenna and waiting for the adaptor from Dish for the hopper. It's the local channels that are the problem. I found out the technical name for the image problem. Mosquito Noise. If the OTA for local channels solves the problem, then I'll stay with Dish.

Here's a photo of Mosquito Noise:
_MSQNOIS.JPG

What causes Mosquito Noise?

I've learned a lot about providers (dish, directv, comcast, etc) and why some channels have better pq than others in their line up. Providers have to give you local stations, it's the law. That being said, what providers give us for local channels are very compressed signals and the quality of their equipment to uncompress it varies. I've also learned that the best PQ is going to be OTA, for it's not compressed. I just got an indoor OTA antenna, hooked it up to my Elite Pro-70 (waiting for the Dish dongle to connect it to the Hopper) and the OTA picture is better than any channel Dish provides; and that includes Dish's premiums which are less compressed of all the dish channels.

You've heard, garbage in garbage out. The bigger the screen, the more you'll notice what imperfections it's given. Give it a high quality signal, blu-ray 24p and you'll be rewarded with outstanding pq. Give it a compressed then decompressed signal of low quality and that big screen will show you the garbage it's given. In my case, mosquito noise with local channels from Dish's compression/decompression of a questionable signal and maybe the box's ability to do so.

This may answer your question about what Mosquito noise is. I've also added a photo. Click on it to enlarge.

Definition of mosquito noise:
A distortion that appears near crisp edges of objects in MPEG and other video frames that are compressed with the discrete cosine transform (DCT). It occurs at decompression when the decoding engine has to approximate the discarded data by inverting the transform model. The mosquito noise appears as random aliasing in these areas and requires sophisticated detection circuits to eliminate it. As TVs get larger, mosquito noise and other artifacts become more noticeable.

_MSQNOIS.JPG

Last edited:
I've learned a lot about providers (dish, directv, comcast, etc) and why some channels have better pq than others in their line up. Providers have to give you local stations, it's the law. That being said, what providers give us for local channels are very compressed signals and the quality of their equipment to uncompress it varies. I've also learned that the best PQ is going to be OTA, for it's not compressed. I just got an indoor OTA antenna, hooked it up to my Elite Pro-70 (waiting for the Dish dongle to connect it to the Hopper) and the OTA picture is better than any channel Dish provides; and that includes Dish's premiums which are less compressed of all the dish channels.
So many little inaccuracies in this post, but I'll just focus on OTA compression. OTA IS compressed, just not as compressed as satellite. You will see compression artifacts on channels that have a lot of subchannels on the same RF channel.

I found this interesting when doing a google search on OTA compression:

"KAXT-CD in San Francisco is believed to have the most feeds of any individual over-the-air broadcaster, with twelve video feeds (all SDTV) and several audio feeds"

This may answer your question about what Mosquito noise is.

Definition of:mosquito noise
A distortion that appears near crisp edges of objects in MPEG and other video frames that are compressed with the discrete cosine transform (DCT). It occurs at decompression when the decoding engine has to approximate the discarded data by inverting the transform model. The mosquito noise appears as random aliasing in these areas and requires sophisticated detection circuits to eliminate it. As TVs get larger, mosquito noise and other artifacts become more noticeable.

Thanks for the info, complicated stuff.

I can't tell one bit of difference between ota straight to tv,or locals via dish.Both look great,that said there are times,or certain channels that look less than HD.

I can't tell one bit of difference between ota straight to tv,or locals via dish.Both look great,that said there are times,or certain channels that look less than HD.

I wish it was all standardized somehow. Every show PQ seems to be at different levels.

I really only notice mosquito moise on Diah locals during sports. The fast action. I also see it on our cbs local ota on sports too as they have 2 subchannels. Otherwise OTA is better but not by much. Subchannels are nice but they are a detriment to the HD feed.

So many little inaccuracies in this post, but I'll just focus on OTA compression. OTA IS compressed, just not as compressed as satellite. You will see compression artifacts on channels that have a lot of subchannels on the same RF channel.

I found this interesting when doing a google search on OTA compression:

"KAXT-CD in San Francisco is believed to have the most feeds of any individual over-the-air broadcaster, with twelve video feeds (all SDTV) and several audio feeds"

...so many inaccuracies. I agree, OTA is compressed, but no where as much as Cable or Satellite.
How about taking the time to correct each and every inaccuracy and explain in full detail why so. Also while you're at it, point out the ones that are correct too. Gezzzz. You come off harsh. My google search provided what I posted too.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts