Newbie here, hello. My hd is not very good, why?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rfc

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2014
Bay Area CA
I was with Directv for 10yrs, just switched to Dish/hopper.
Sharp Elite pro-70x5fd pro calibrated, set as dot to dot.
Hopper setting are 1080, 16x9, only watch hd.

Couple weeks ago I watched the Superbowl on Fox HD channel 2
The pq looked like it was between sd and hd. Better than sd, but certainly not as good as the hd I remember I had with Directv. Why?

No setting were changed with the tv nor processor (Anthem D2v), same hdmi cable.
Dish installed their dish, ran new cable into the house.
I simply unplugged the Directv box, plugged in the hopper and the same hdmi cable.

I've tried all the motion setting in the Elite and just can't get the blur/halo effect to go away when watching hd on the hopper.
Oppo blu-rays plays perfect hd, so I know the setting in the tv/processor are fine.

Dish came out and checked everything and said, cable is fine, dish is lined up, hopper is set to hd, pq looks acceptable.
I played a blu-ray for him for hd comparison (1080p). Dish hd looks like a watered down hd. Not just against oppo, Directv also which is 1080i.

Dish sent me another hopper. The replacement hoppers are remanufactured WEZA. The first replacement was defective, so they sent me another one, also remanufactured. No difference in pq between original hopper and 2nd remanufactured one.

I really want to keep the new subscriber deal with Dish, however I just can't figure out why the hd is not as good as Directv.

Any thoughts?

Get an OTA antenna for your locals, if you are in an area that can be reached by them. The PQ will blow both Dish and DirecTV away since the signal is less compressed. I did it 3 years ago. And you'd be surprised by the number of channels. There are like 60 here in Atlanta OTA. Not all are SD, some are religious, but some are networks not carried by Dish, like MeTV.

The usual problems that I see you know most:
Select from My HD Channels on the Guide Page (in fact, select only HD unless available in SD only, some are.)
Set Hopper to 1080p/1080i 16x9 output on Yellow button, Format TV, HDTV.
Yes only 1440x1080i30, not 1920 horizontal. (1080p24 applies to some downloads.)
Use an HDMI cable. [check]
Use a 1080i station, Fox and ABC in most cities are 720p60.
Make sure it is not a sub-channel nor broadcast with too many sub-channels.
Would you use your processor for Blu-Ray? Apparently.
If not, then why for Dish? It could mess with edges. Maybe try without it.
The Hopper (2000) was noticeably better (sharper) when I got it than the 722 predecessor. The HwS was as good.
-Ken

Ya, welcome to watered down HD. But comparing to Blu-ray is unfair.

Watched NBA Rising Star Challenge on TNT the other night because I thought I was watching a bad YouTube video.

Is it only on Fox, as Dish/Directv get their local signals differently from around the country. How do the national cable HD channels look?

I've set up Hopper's on both my sisters 60in displays and my step-sister has Directv on her 60in display that I also set up and I honestly can't tell the difference.

The boxes process signals differently so the settings on the TV may have looked great with Directv but they may not be optimized for Dish.

Did you even read the thread? OP is talking about FOX which is 720p.
Which Dish is upconverting to 1080i to match his TV's native resolution.

Do Directv receivers have native pass-through ? If so, and he was using that, that would allow his TV to scale it up to 1080i vs the Hopper doing the scaling up. We really need to hear his honest opinion of a non-FOX channel's PQ.

Do Directv receivers have native pass-through ? If so, and he was using that, that would allow his TV to scale it up to 1080i vs the Hopper doing the scaling up. We really need to hear his honest opinion of a non-FOX channel's PQ.

Assuming you are saying the box is upconverting and not Dish in general. He could set his box to 720p to get rid of some of the conversion and it may help.

But I'm in the camp that the HD of today just doesn't look good, especially on the large screens that are more and more common. Just give us the full bandwidth and we wouldn't need 4k....which will follow the same path as SD and HD, eventually get watered down to YouTube quality.

Good morning guys and thank you for chiming in.
Being I just joined yesterday, I have a question about my settings. Does the most current reply show on the top of the page and the older ones below it? Other forums I'm on, like AVS, the most current reply is on the bottom of the page. Just wondering if my setting are correct and this forum has the most current on top.

Good morning guys and thank you for chiming in.
Being I just joined yesterday, I have a question about my settings. Does the most current reply show on the top of the page and the older ones below it? Other forums I'm on, like AVS, the most current reply is on the bottom of the page. Just wondering if my setting are correct and this forum has the most current on top.

Most current always shows on the bottom for me. Not aware of a setting that changes that.

1440x1080i as opposed to 1920x1080i from DTV and everyone else.

They do.

In my case things are exactly the opposite. Watching fast action, live sports on my local NBC and CBS affiliates is headache inducing for me as the images are full of motion artifacts and blurring. Football on my Fox affiliate isn't perfect, but at least fast action graphics and plays don't dissolve into digital noise.

In fairness to Dish, most of the problems I noted above are also apparent when watching NBC and CBS OTA, so it's most likely lack of bandwidth from my local stations, combined with the inherent limitations of 1080i displaying live action sports. I had DirecTV until mid 2012, and I noticed no difference between watching my local channels OTA or on DirecTV, so the OP may very well be seeing a difference between Dish and DirecTV.

Most current always shows on the bottom for me. Not aware of a setting that changes that.

Look at the top right hand side of this page and click on Settings. Then on the left hand side under My Settings select General Settings. Then under Thread Display Options look in the Thread Display Mode window to change what latest post you want to display first.

Ya, welcome to watered down HD. But comparing to Blu-ray is unfair.

Watched NBA Rising Star Challenge on TNT the other night because I thought I was watching a bad YouTube video.

Yeah, i guess you could say 1440x1080I is between SD and HD!:D

What? Not to mention there are posts here where people found the Hopper picture to possibly be better than Direct TV, so at the least no real difference either way.

http://forums.solidsignal.com/content.php/2357-Do-DIRECTV-or-DISH-still-use-HD-Lite

What? Not to mention there are posts here where people found the Hopper picture to possibly be better than Direct TV, so at the least no real difference either way.

http://forums.solidsignal.com/content.php/2357-Do-DIRECTV-or-DISH-still-use-HD-Lite

To me HD-Lite is when the PQ sucks, which it all does now from all providers. Just have to find the one that sucks the least. There is obvious difference between OTA locals and Dish locals to me. I call that HD-Lite!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)