Newbie here, looking to get into C-band

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rev800x

Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
Michigan
My parents have an old black mesh dish with an analog receiver they are willing to give me. I know the receiver is a President something or other. I live in Northern Michigan and wondering is it worth my time and effort to set this thing up at my house? How much is programming for c-band and what about hi-def? Lots questions as I am looking for a cost effective solution for T.V. and it looks like c-band may be the way to go! Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you are technically inclined or want to monkey with radio/electronic stuff c-band is fun (I think)
If not you might be happier with a fixed dish like directv or dish network where somebody else takes care of your stuff for you.
If your folk's stuff still is operable where it is, hook it up and play with it.
Hi-def is limited but I think for the most part you will think that SD on a bud is about the same as HD on a small dish (except fox news)

Personally I think all aspects of satellite reception is interesting but that's just me

If you are technically inclined or want to monkey with radio/electronic stuff c-band is fun (I think)
If not you might be happier with a fixed dish like directv or dish network where somebody else takes care of your stuff for you.
If your folk's stuff still is operable where it is, hook it up and play with it.
Hi-def is limited but I think for the most part you will think that SD on a bud is about the same as HD on a small dish (except fox news)

Personally I think all aspects of satellite reception is interesting but that's just me

Thanks for the quick response. Yeah I work on computers and multimedia equipment so I would say I'm technically inclined. :D The dish is still set up but I'm not sure if it's still operable (might be froze up). What are my options as far as programming goes? Also on the whole HD thing, I have a 1080P 46" LCD I would be hooking this up to. So with that said, a bud gets better image quility then the little guys? Maybe I'll take my 32" LCD over to my parents and play around with it a bit, as long as it still moves, lol! So there are some free channels available that I will be able to pick up with it?

Well Rev....Welcome Satellite Guys! I'll take a stab at your questions...Others are probably better qualified than myself...The dish would be usable. The old receiver is probably analog and everything now is digital. Old receiver can be used to move the dish to various sats thats about it. You can check with the sponsors at the top of the page for receivers etc...or perhaps ebay. The HD stuff is quite limited in my opinion.
Also check "The List" at the top of the page for a listing of channels too. If the accuator is bad you can replace it....and the Lnb if need be. Basic thought is this... if you're looking for Tv....just something to watch, then Cband and /or Ku is great. If you're looking for the typical stuff you see on cable/mini dish there's very little of that. I think it's worth it but I like to tinker and hate to pay for tv. I'll let others chime in here an give you more info. Blind:)

Well Rev....Welcome Satellite Guys! I'll take a stab at your questions...Others are probably better qualified than myself...The dish would be usable. The old receiver is probably analog and everything now is digital. Old receiver can be used to move the dish to various sats thats about it. You can check with the sponsors at the top of the page for receivers etc...or perhaps ebay. The HD stuff is quite limited in my opinion.
Also check "The List" at the top of the page for a listing of channels too. If the accuator is bad you can replace it....and the Lnb if need be. Basic thought is this... if you're looking for Tv....just something to watch, then Cband and /or Ku is great. If you're looking for the typical stuff you see on cable/mini dish there's very little of that. I think it's worth it but I like to tinker and hate to pay for tv. I'll let others chime in here an give you more info. Blind:)

Thanks for the reply, Blind! I too hate to pay for tv, that's why I was looking at this option. To me, $50 a month is ridiculous for tv (that is what my parents and out-laws :D pay through Directtv, yeah they have DVR and a bunch of useless channels, but still ridiculous!). So the old receiver will not work except for moving the dish? One channel that is a must for me is Versus. I'll have to check the list to see if that one is available. Looks like there are some companies out there that sell c-band programming?

Thanks for the reply, Blind! I too hate to pay for tv, that's why I was looking at this option. To me, $50 a month is ridiculous for tv (that is what my parents and out-laws :D pay through Directtv, yeah they have DVR and a bunch of useless channels, but still ridiculous!). So the old receiver will not work except for moving the dish? One channel that is a must for me is Versus. I'll have to check the list to see if that one is available. Looks like there are some companies out there that sell c-band programming?

Yes but you will have to buy a 4DTV receiver
You can go here
NPS - Your One Call Solution - CBAND Satellite Programming C-band
and click on the "Programming" pull down and that will give you an idea of what's available.

There is still a tiny bit of analog, but probably nothing you'd want to watch

here is what ive done with my c-band set up. old anolog receiver moves the dish for me and i have the lnb hooked up to a free to air viewsat 9000hd to get my channels. also i have a splitter switch the splits the signal from the lnb so i get digital and anolog feeds. i still use the old receiver to scan the skys for any anolog feeds that still might be broadcasted.youll be better of not paying for service and enjoy what you can get for free and also you can find hundreds of wildfeeds such as news and sports daily.hope this helps you a little more friend.

There are a few full time analog channels left you can test dish with. They are very helpful if you need to tweak dish.

G1 -(AKA GALAXY 15)
5 ARTS
11 EWTN
12 ShopNBC
17Inspirational Channel
C4 (AMC10)
9 QVC
10 HSN
C3 (AMC11)
7 C-Span
W4 (AMC4)
16 PBSX
G4 (Galaxy 16)
16 Shepherds Chapel (This is a very strong channel)
17 Occasional buena vista feeds
- These should be receivable on any analog receiver in continental us.

With a dsr-922 4dtv receiver you can get channels including Versus.

I recommend programming from SRL (programming-center(dot)net) or skyvision(dot)com

Will I need to get a new LNB? This dish hasn't been used in years but is still set up on the pole with cable running to the house. I think I'll just plug it in and see what happens. Will I break anything if the actuator is froze up or will it just not move?

Will I need to get a new LNB? This dish hasn't been used in years but is still set up on the pole with cable running to the house. I think I'll just plug it in and see what happens. Will I break anything if the actuator is froze up or will it just not move?

Chances are, the existing LNB will work just fine, definitely try it before you spend money on another one.

I believe the only possible thing you could hurt by trying to move a frozen actuator is the actuator itself, and I don't think you can even do that.

If dish doesn't move east or west, don't try to brute force the motor. You'll just burn it up or damage relay in receiver.

Frozen actuators can be brought back to life by pulling end cap, pull rotor out, sand (use fine grit) or scotch brite the rust off of rotor (armature) - take care not to break any motor wire in the rotor. Sand the magnets in the stator and spray both with a good contact cleaner like Zep Elect II. All you want to is get rid of the rust. Maybe lube the bushing in endcap. Put back together carefully making sure motor brushes are in place.

I have seen new actuators on ebay for less than 50 bucks, I cant tell you if they are any good.

I found out that the receiver is a President PS600XL. Anything particular that I need to know about this receiver? Is it a good receiver? I still need to get a 4dtv receiver, correct? And also a receiver for HD channels, correct?

I found out that the receiver is a President PS600XL. Anything particular that I need to know about this receiver? Is it a good receiver? I still need to get a 4dtv receiver, correct? And also a receiver for HD channels, correct?
i dont know anything about that particular receiver but i would suggest a fta hd box that has the 8psk module inside.here are a few i will suggest, pansat 9000hd, azbox hd and sonicview 8000hd. as for the 4dtv receivers i dont know anything about those but i do know i want one as well, lol.

For sure take it, even if you do get cable or small dish too.
A good amount of channels if you have a digital box to go with the old Analogue C-Band receiver (dish turner).
A good amount of HD too and "extras" if you have watched that dish in the past then you know about sports feeds etc...

A non-HD box you can get for $10-$50 on ebay, for an HD box you are looking at much more.
If you go HD get one that will "blind scan" it will search for and find the channels and feeds for you. The AZBOX (Great box) or Coolsat 8000/8100 won't do this and you have to add all the info for what you want yourself (harder for someone new). Also better if the HD box can receive what is known as DVB-S2 (or has a card you can add that does it).

But, for sure take it in any case. Even if the actuator arm that turns your dish does not work, new ones don't cost too much. Same for LNB/LNBF's.

also i have a splitter switch the splits the signal from the lnb so i get digital and analog feeds.

Maple,
Or you can save the trouble from running another long cable and just add a short one from the loop out of your Digital box to in on your C-Band receiver (with a $2.00 Voltage Blocking Coupler - known as a DC blocker) on the C-Band receiver end.

Saves cable ;)

Mapleleaf69, know anyone who used to go by "Simple guy"?

Well, as soon as the snow melt that baby will be in my yard! In the mean time I will be searching for an HD receiver. Will the HD box do everything I need it to along with the analog "dish turner"? Or will I still need to get the 4dtv box as well?

You will still need a 4DTV receiver if you wish to subscribe to the C-band subscription stuff. I don't think there is much HD available on 4DTV, and I believe you need an additional unit to decode what HD 4DTV there is.

There are a lot of HD DVB feeds (and a few 24/7 channels) that you can receive with your BUD, that is what you would use the HD receiver for. An HD receiver like the AzBox will do HD, DVB-S & -S2, MPEG-2 & -4 and 4:2:0/4:2:2, a lot of the HD feeds are in those formats.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts