Newbie in SoCal wants Leafs and Olympics

GTinOC

Oct 28, 2009
Southern California
Hello everyone,

I have read a lot of very interesting information here. I would like to get it right the first time and would like to know how I can acquire without anybody's address back home, Canadian satellite coverage here in Southern California.
I sure miss Hockey Night in Canada and want to see the Wolrd Juniors and particularly the Olympics. I also want Canadian news coverage.

Anyway, any advice or help would be appreciated.

welcome. some basic advice:
1. based on satellite footprints, you will want shaw direct (formerly known as star Choice)

2. Go to Shaw Direct's website to get an idea of the programming package you want. If all you really want is Leafs, Olympics, and news, digital favourites may be the way to go.

3. If you do not have any friends or relatives in Canada, you will need to go through a broker. there are pros and cons with each.

Bell HD cannot be seen in California. The footprint of the satellite is basically the border states & Canada. I'm in Minesota and on a 20" dish I get low signals. Folks in Jersey & Tennessee & Colorado have used 30-36" dishes to get signal.

California not even a 10 footer would work for HD.....if all you want is SD programming it will work fine

Hello everyone,

I have read a lot of very interesting information here. I would like to get it right the first time and would like to know how I can acquire without anybody's address back home, Canadian satellite coverage here in Southern California.
I sure miss Hockey Night in Canada and want to see the Wolrd Juniors and particularly the Olympics. I also want Canadian news coverage.

Anyway, any advice or help would be appreciated.[/QUOT

Why would you want to see the Leafs get blown away by the Sabres tonight:D

This Thread is old but it gave me all the info I needed to go without a broker.

I self-brokered Shaw Direct service about 2 months ago. I basically did as described in posts 48 &49 of the thread mentioned. However, I did not make up a phone number - I got a VOIP DID number for my "Canadian address city" and have it permanently call-forwarded to my cell phone here in the states.

When I set up the service with the Shaw Direct CSR, one of the last things she said was that we'll call you in about 10-15 days to make sure you're satisfied with the service. Sure enough, I did receive a call within that time frame asking me if everything was OK. I don't know what they do if you give them a made-up phone number that is not valid or they reach someone at that number and it's not you.

VOIP DID numbers are so cheap (~$1.50/month) - to me, it is worth having this extra protection - why take a chance. You don't need to have or configure any equipment at your house since it is forwarded to a cell phone or landline number. Another good thing is that the VOIP service can be easily ordered and configured through the provider's web site and you get a number instantly. You don't talk to any service reps - it doesn't get any easier than this.

With paperless billing turned on, you'll be in full control of your account and not have to depend on a broker for programming changes, etc.

If you care to, PM me and I'll be glad to tell you the name of the VOIP provider I'm using.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)