Newbie Install

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rvdishman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2007
I'm trying to help a friend who is, as I am, not at all technical re DirecTV setup so I am info deprived to start with.
He has a receiver with model #12-101 on the back of it. He has coax to his crank up round dish. The receiver is set to round dish. He has coax to his TV. The settings for zip 85208 are 49.6 and 148.8 and are set. He has a clear black screen with a sharp DirecTV logo floating around on his screen. He has tweaked the azimuth and elevation for quite a while to no avail.
I'm wondering if he has activated the receiver or needs to before he gets a signal. I don't know. ???? With a competitor you can get an info channel before activating the receiver.
Does this make sense or what else do I seem to be missing besides lack of knowledge of his system in general. I "can" follow directions.

TIA

Ron

That sounds like the screensaver. Pressing the MENU key should bring up a menu and if you go to SETUP then satellite setup you should be able to get things going.

Ok

Ok!
The receiver came from the house and was working fine. It is hooked up correctly. Is there a check switch or anything like that with DirecTV? I did get into the menu but could not find the setup area. I'd like to do that again with a remote. There might be clearer menu choices.
The dish is a few years old and is a winegard. Is there a chance that, with the sat changes the past few months, that it will not work with the current DirecTV equipment?

TIA

Ron

That dish will still work for the 101 satellite. On my HR20 there is a menu item "Parental, Fav's & Setup". Pressing that brings up a list containing "System Setup" and that has an option "Sat & Ant". The D12 probably has different choices, but there should be something similar.

Eventually you should get to a screen which allows you to select the dish type and another to view signal strength so you can adjust for maximum (with an audible indication).

RVdishman,
You should get channel 100 and 500 as well ...
They are preview channels.

If you can get into your menu , you can get to the signal strength screen like Bob's been saying and go from there.
Use the setting as a guide, you may need to adjust slowly to pinpoint the signal, no quick moves, a slight move here is a huge move up there.

Jimbo

Make sure that you have a direct line from dish to reciever,no cable splitters.Get a philips screwdriver and take the lnb off the dish and replace the f connector.Do the same inside.Make sure your aiming the azimuth in the correct general area.Set the elevation and make sure mast is as plumb as possible.Search the reciever menu to find signal meter.You don't have to move the antenna alot once you get a signal.Little movements gain or lose alot of signal.

Thanks again

All good advice. Thanks

I've done all Mike's suggestions. The main problem is me helping. I am not familiar with the DirecTV receivers so could not find the setup screen. My help with Direc is sorta like the blind leading the blind. I thoroughly enjoy the experience though. I won't forget all the good advice. I will let you know "when" success is achieved.

Ron

Closer

Owner just came by and it looks like he got to the install window. He was able to read some transponders 30+ and then got an error message. Said the message told him to do what we already had done. SO, does that mean spend some more time on aiming and maybe be a little more careful? I appreciate your patience.

Thanks,

Ron

Sounds like you're installing this on a travel trailer/motor home. Are you connecting the coax to an external connector that then goes inside? If this is the case, that may be the problem with the receiver receiving signal from the dish/lnb. Many times these connectors are bad or the trailer/motor home has more than one hook-up inside which means there is a splitter somewhere. Direct TV Satellite signals will not work through a splitter. If this is your problem, you'll need to run the coaxial cable directly from the lnb to the receiver either by drilling a hole through the exterior wall or floor of the trailer/motor home or get what is called a "flat cable" and pass it through a window. The flat cable is very thin and you'll still be able to close the window with it in place. Also, you need to be sure you are pointing the dish at the proper satellite (101). With a cheap signal meter, you may register a signal, but still not be on the correct satellite. You really need to get to the set-up screen on the receiver--try doing a reset by pushing the reset button located where the access card is inserted. This will make the receiver "start over" and you will get to the set up screen. Follow the instructions choosing the Round Dish, and keep going until you get to the window that allows you to see the signal meter. You should be able to point your dish from there and tweak it for your best signal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)