This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

NEWBIE multiple tv set up

redsoxvw

Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Ok first off im new to this whole dish thing and have been lurking for a bit.......I just signed up with dish and they are coming to install on saturday......im located in dartmouth mass......now i was told I would get 1hd single tuner 1standard dual and 1 standard single reciever............now im not sure what model recievers im going to get, but my question is they told me i could run four tvs off of that.........now I eventually would like to add four more tvs to the system........what would I need to get that ball rolling..........yes thats 8tvs total its a big house LOL..........i just want to be ready......and find out what I will need.....any help is greatly appreciated............oh ya break it down kinda simple at first till i get the hang of some of these terms etc.........Thanks Guys

Would you want to watch HD on any of the 4 additional tvs? If so, you might pick up a couple 222s when they are available. If not 2 322s would work. I'm sure you're getting one of those if you're getting a standard dual tuner receiver. 2 tvs can be run off 1 322. You will also need additional switches to run that many receivers. That would be 5. So you would probably need a DPP44 and a DP21. Depending on what they install, they may put in a DPP34 in which case you could just add another.

Also, if you are just moving from room to room, and will never have 8 TV's on at one time, each watching a separate program, then you should consider back-feeding to the other (less-used) TV's.

I don't know which receivers let you conviently back-feek, but the ViP622 will allow you to back-feed both TV1 & TV2 Outputs in SD. Therefore, 2 ViP622 will allow 4 different outputs throughout the house, as well as the ability to record 2 OTA Digital TV and 4 Satellite TV channels at the same time. All 4 outputs could be controlled using UHF PRO Remotes.

This will allow any TV (even more than 8) to have a selection of recordings from 2 ViP622, or Satellite TV Programming, or OTA if viewing as a recording a couple of minutes late; but not more than 4 different viewings at one time.

I believe a couple of ViP222 will do the same as the above, just without recordings. If it hasn't been released yet, it should be soon.

Last edited:
now i was told I would get 1hd single tuner 1standard dual and 1 standard single reciever

Before they come tell them you would like the HD dual tuner DVR-622 (1 hd & 1 sd TV) & i standard dual tuner-322.

They are offering the 622 free for new customers & the price even with the DVR fee, the fees would be nearly the same if both dual tuners were hooked to a phone line(2nd tuner fee waived if hooked to a phone line), If it were me I would get 2 dual tuner DVR's 1-622 (HD DVR) & 1-625(SD DVR)

Jordan

Yes I would go with the VIP622, you will be glad you did.

Yes I would go with the VIP622, you will be glad you did.

I also agree... go with the dvr's, you won't regret it. But you have to go with them before it is installed, once you are under contract you will have to wait quite a while.

I love this, it's not very often anyone agrees w/me let alone 3 people

I just hope redsoxvw will take our advice

Jordan

One thing nobody has mentioned is that E* will lease the first 2 receivers (4 tuners), he will need to purchase the rest of the receivers.

and I agree with Jordan too, get a 622.