Newbie needing help receiving Canadian Sat service in LA

porschenut

Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
los angeles
Hi,

I need some help with my setup. I have lived in Los Angeles for more than 20 years and miss Canadian TV. My brother who is now a snowbird (Canadian living in Florida for the winter months) gave me a Bell 4100 receiver with a card. He says that it is active and has used it in Florida on his subscription. I have another friend here that gave me a Dish Network dish and dual LNB. I hooked it all up and aligned dish to receive Nimiq1 on 82 at 80% power but it is not locked. I received 91 intermittently at 78% strength but it never locks and the signal strength meter bounces to zero every second or so.

Can anyone help me? It would really be appreciated. I actually miss the CBC. :)

You will not receive anything on 82 that far south, no matter how large the dish is. I had to go to a 90cm dish in Indianapolis from a dish 500 when they changed the footprint of the satellite. 91 should come in fine if you aimed correctly. You also may have a bad LNB.

Big rich,

Thanks for the response. I may have been mistaken as to which 82 or 91 which was receiving a steady signal. I will check again. I do not understand why the reciever does not lock one the one that has good signal strength.
I will try again.

after it locks, do a check switch

better yet...do a check switch with no cable installed. That clears the matrix. After you lock on 91W then redo the check switch.

porschenut if you look at the Sticky thread on Nimiq 82 esp. posting #9 you'll see a map of the 82 bird footprint it only covers about 1/2 the U.S.

we're in the Bay Area and we get 91 great though, so as long as you dont need the HD stations on 82 youll be fine with 91. I think you wont even need a bigger dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts