Newbie needs answers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ralphie

Original poster
Nov 23, 2005
Okay, to put it bluntly, I am an HDTV virgin. Yes, that's right. I am currently reading everything that I can get my hands on but there are still tons of questions. My plan is to buy a new Plasma HDTV but I have Directv. I currently have the premium programming, multiple connections, a DirecTV DVR, and Direcway sattelite internet. Since they are all fairly new, I didn't really want to buy everything over again. So:
- Will the existing DVR still work if I upgrade to the HDTV dish? (maybe in a different room)
- For an existing customer, are there any deals to be had on the dish upgrade, DVR upgrade, cables, installation, etc.?
- Will the existing DVR receiver receive HDTV signals? (I probably know the answer already, but thought that I'd ask)
- Can the current cables be extended to reach to a different wall without losing signal or causing line noise?
Any response will be appreciated,
Thank you,
Ralphie

The DVR will work but won't receive the HD channels.
If you bother them allot you may get a deal for the HD DVR w/ TIVO, If not try
http://www.valueelectronics.com/
I hate adding cable to existing lines You would want the cleanest line from the dish to the DVR.. RG-6 with only a connection on each end for the best HD results. you will also need the 3 lnb dish if you haven't got it.

Ralphie said:
Okay, to put it bluntly, I am an HDTV virgin. Yes, that's right. I am currently reading everything that I can get my hands on but there are still tons of questions. My plan is to buy a new Plasma HDTV but I have Directv. I currently have the premium programming, multiple connections, a DirecTV DVR, and Direcway sattelite internet. Since they are all fairly new, I didn't really want to buy everything over again. So:
- Will the existing DVR still work if I upgrade to the HDTV dish? (maybe in a different room)
- For an existing customer, are there any deals to be had on the dish upgrade, DVR upgrade, cables, installation, etc.?
- Will the existing DVR receiver receive HDTV signals? (I probably know the answer already, but thought that I'd ask)
- Can the current cables be extended to reach to a different wall without losing signal or causing line noise?
Any response will be appreciated,
Thank you,
Ralphie

Yes, your existing DVR will still work with the upgraded dish. The new dish will just be able to get the additional satellite feeds for MPEG2 HD.

Your existing DVR will not receive HDTV signals.

Yes your current cables can be used, but like the others have said, it would be best to run a cable with no breaks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)