newbie needs help with alignment

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jammer28

Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
I am having a lot of problems setting up my system and I have many questions. I bought the system as a package from gosatellite.com and they are no help at all.....they told me to come here.

Dish: Winegard DS-2076 32”
Motor: SG2100
LNB: Invacom quad Polar
Diseqc Switch: Viewsat SW-41
Receiver: Viewsat Ultra

I live in Athens, Ohio 45701

1) What should I set my elevation on the dish and what should I set my elevation to on the motor?
2) Where does the Diseqc switch go. Does this go outside or inside.
3) I want to run 2 Viewsat ultras off this one dish…how do I do that
4) How do I hook up the LNB
5) I have read on other posts that any ports not used on the switch and the lnb should be terminated. How do I do that.

Any help that you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated…. Step by step would be perfect.

Thanx in advance.

Set your motor up with a MOTOR elevation (the LATITUDE scale on the motor bracket) of a hair over 39. The DISH elevation (elevation of the dish itself) should be about 24 degrees, but bear in mind that the elevation scale on this dish can sometimes be off by as much as 5 degrees, so you will have to tweak this a bit. Once you set the motor elevation (on the motor bracket marked LATITUDE), tighten that up and don't touch it again (tweak dish elevation only).

DiSEqC switch should go between the LNBF and the motor, so most likely that will go outside. While you're aiming your dish, first use a direct cable from the LNBF to your receiver. Hook it to an 'L' output on the LNBF. Keep the switches out of the equation until you're sure the dish is aimed and peaked, that makes things simpler.

To run two receivers, you will have to use two DiSEqC switches, one on each receiver. Only one switch output will be connected to the motor, the output on the other switch will go directly to the secondary receiver. Only the primary receiver (the one connected to the motor) will be able to control the motor. For a DiSEqC switch, I'd put linear ('L') on port 1 and circular ('C') on port two. No need to terminate unused ports with a terminator, just use an 'F' connector with some silicone in it to prevent moisture from entering (you're not trying to electronically terminate anything, just keeping weather out).

Personally, I'd use a 22k 4 x 4 multiswitch with the Invacom Quad instead of two DiSEqC switches. Many reasons for this... the multiswitches are usually of better quality, and they give you the option for up to four receivers to be connected. If you decide to do this, grab a 4 x 4 multiswitch and connect the two '22k off' ports of the multiswitch to the two 'L' outputs of the Invacom. Connect the two '22k on' ports to the two 'C' outputs of the Invacom. Connect one of the four outputs of the multiswitch to the motor, and connect the motor to your primary receiver (the one that will control the dish). Connect any of the remaining three outputs of the multiswitch to additional receivers.

Hope this helps...

Man that helped a hell of alot....thanx.....i have to work two 12 hour shifts the next two days and then the holiday but i should be able to work on it on friday....i will get back to you then......i will get the other switch but i will use the system i have for now.....and recommendations on where i can get that switch from...

THANKS AGAIN

i just read your post again so with my current configuration (until i can get the switch you recommend) i will need a total of 3 switches....1 at the dish and 1 for each receiver....is that correct?

If you go with DiSEqC switching, that is the switch you want. If you go with 22k switching, you will only need one switch for up to four receivers, and this is the one you would want:

Zinwell SAM-4402-3A 4X4 Satellite Dish Multi-Switch, Outdoor TV Antenna Digital Signal 4 Receiver Distribution MultiSwitch, DIRECTV Approved, 13 - 18 Volt, Part # SAM4402-3A

For the DiSEqC route, you need TWO (not three) switches, one for each receiver (maximum of two receivers). Only one of those NEEDS to be out at the dish (the one between the motor and LNBF, that one feeds your primary receiver). You will, however, have to run two cables (one connected to a 'C' out and one to a 'L' out) to wherever you have the second DiSEqC switch, so it may be more practical to have both switches at the dish.

When you get the stuff installed, let us know and we can help you set your receiver :)

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts