Newbie!!! ? on D* HD Receivers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Titan_05

Original poster
Oct 22, 2004
? is this..... If I buy a HDTV "ReadY" TV - will the D* HD receiver pick up local channels OTA? I was worried about which way to go - I can get a littel bit more TV for the price if I leave out the HD tuner. I have to go satellite no matter what. I'm a D* subscriber. What do you all think? Also should I get the extened warrranty on the TV? Pros/Cons?

Looking at the

50" Grand Wega™ HDTV-ready rear-projection LCD TV

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-rVtCrDAWpxK/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?wm=fp&I=15850WE610&g=153950

I believe that current DirecTV HD receivers tune OTA channels. My Hughes HTL-HD does. I decided to go for an extended warranty on my HDTV because my previous large screen TV had it's PS go bad after the warrantee expired, then when it died again I bought the HDTV. Usually, I don't extend but in this case I did.

First off, can't go wrong with the Grand Wega, no matter what size :D
Secondly, yes, all the D* HD box's pick up OTA so no worries there.

This is basically my setup as well (except I have the 42") and everything
looks fantastic.

Thanks guys - I was thinking about the 42 WEGA too! Then I saw the 50" for 300 more. It might be a little too big though - THe 42 WEGA comes with the tuner built-in - I don't see the 42" LCD WEGA without tuner....Point me in the right direction???

It's a Sony, it will last you a long time. :)

Yes, all the current D* HD receivers also have an OTA tuner built in. I also have the Hughes HTL-HD.

More Pro/Cons advice on Extended Warranty's - Come on, I know there are a lot of HDTV owners here. CC wants 500.00 for 4 yrs!

My Sony 30" Widescreen HDTV for a warranty only cost me $200, and that's for 3 years.

Best BUY wants 399.00 for 4yrs - also:

Any feedback on the

Samsung DIRECTV/HDTV Receiver with DVI-HDCP/RGB/Composite/S-Video Outputs - Silver

Model: SIR-TS360

Titan, the Hughes HTL-HD is identical to that and I've heard far fewer complaints about it vs the Samsung version.

I have an HTL-HD. Hasn't given me a problem yet.

Was looking at the fine print in BB "Extended warranty" -

You must provide a safe, non-threatening environment for our technicians in order to recieve service.

Wow.....

I wouldn’t buy my monitor, or any high-end items for that matter, from circuit city or best buy, sears, etc. Surely do not buy their extended warranty if you do. Spend a few dollars more and go to a reputable authorized market dealer IMHO. Even look at well known authorized online retailers.

Neutron said:
Titan, the Hughes HTL-HD is identical to that and I've heard far fewer complaints about it vs the Samsung version.

I have an HTL-HD. Hasn't given me a problem yet.

Anyone have the RCA DTC210 - HD D* Receiver!

I'm narrowing it down - been calling around all day and on line. The local dealer in town stocks this one.

Titan_05 said:
More Pro/Cons advice on Extended Warranty's - Come on, I know there are a lot of HDTV owners here. CC wants 500.00 for 4 yrs!

I previously had a Sony which needed repairs a couple of times after a few years and the parts were very expensive. I did not have an extended warranty. Repair businesses told me that Sony repairs are more expensive than other brands. Don't know if that is true or not.

I did buy an extended warranty on my current set from Sears. It was a little less than what you were quoted and if they could not fix the set you could get a new set. Of course because I did that I have not had any problems.

I don't recall the company names, but there are warrantees you can buy from third parties which cover your purchase. Also, sometimes you can get an extended warranty from the company which made your set. Just some options you might want to check out.

Found my 42" WEGA at Sears

Price match 2299.00
- 10% Price match Guarantee
- 10% off sale at Sears
+ 3yr extended waranty
+ tax
OTD = 2700.00

Getting the RCA HD Receiver from ValueElectronics !!! Hope they are as good as you guys say!

I'll let all know soon!

Just FYI - Robert, the owner of VE, is VERY high on the DC210 - you should LOVE IT!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts